• Depends

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, it depends. TOO loud is annoying but a silent bike? mmmm don't think so.
My bike is kind of loudly (again, is a subjective issue) but not annoying, from factory, the regular and acceptable noise I guess.
But a silent bike must be like non-alcoholic beer.
just my opinion

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've done a 180 since my youth. I thought noise = power so, loud is cool. Race bikes are loud so I want to sound like a race bike! Then 2 years ago my neighbor begin announcing to the world that he started his bike & was about to ride. Straight pipes. Woke me up daily. I worked night shift so I couldn't ask him to only ride at night. 2 houses away & just starting his bike woke me up, sleeping with earplugs. No one else's bike or car did that, just his. And, I love it when someone with straight pipes is to my left waiting for the green light & revving his engine as if I'm deaf & don't mind or if I enjoy hearing damage. I'm keeping my stock muffler. I can hear the engine & that's enough. Nice deep tone but almost silent over 40 mph. Happy with that. I wear high-vis gear but ride as if I'm invisible because to many drivers I am.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Loud pipes are okay, as long as they're on someone else's bike. On a long trip, they are annoying. Mine are louder than I like, but as someone already said, the noise can be controlled a bit by the right wrist.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
It is easy to make more noise and go slower.
The good thing about loud Harleys, is I know when they twist the throttle, and usually by how much. That lets me know, how much giddy up I need to keep up, and then pass.

On the ferry, it is a giant steel echo chamber. The bikes fire up first, and are off first. What a brilliant way to piss off all the cage drivers. Loud pipes upset cage drivers, and they may pretend they do not see you.

Quiet pipes, makes for friendly neighbours on my Island.

Was at the coffee shop for a bike gang meeting on Sunday. About twenty bikes, all quiet. Imagine how it would change things, if they were all loud.

UK

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think they definitely could prove to help make drivers aware of you. At the same time I think you also have to be practical in terms of it becoming an outright annoyance. I live in a newly built quiet community with an HOA, etc. and I went out of my way to put the stock pipes back on the bike I just bought to be respectful of my neighbors (and sleeping wife and 3 kids inside) on those early mornings or late nights I just want to pull it out and go for a ride.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don’t mind a fairly open exhaust on the road – my personal preference is that it is mellow enough I can still hear engine sounds (lifters, carb, lower-end, and transmission gears, whatnot…). My last two bikes both had fairly throaty V&H setups on them, and I left for work about 4:30 in the morning – even my wife was usually unaware when I rode out (proper choke, couple whacks of the throttle, to squirt some fuel and hit the starter – idle while I put on my gloves, and idle away, immediately shift into second…). My pet peeve is throttle blipping; if the rider is smooth on the throttle they can keep the bark out of it until they hit open road. On the older bikes – and I’m talking way back – a bit of throttle blipping was sometimes required until the bike was warm (I’m talking about the kind where you had t retard the magneto/ditto to start and then manually advance), but on a modern bikes with hot ignitions, and a boatload of technogizmos to keep the thing running, if the rider had to keep blipping the throttle to keep it running at a stop light, the first stop needs to be back at their garage and tune the dang thing… And since there is no neutral gate (to facilitate double clutching) blipping with the clutch pulled isn’t necessary for down-shift either – just breath on the throttle if one is trying to keep from skidding the rare tires…

I enjoy a good powerful exhaust, but prefer it either on the racetrack – or out by myself, where no else has to listen…

-- Larry

·
Registered
347 Posts
The perpetual thread. Personally I like exhaust that will whisper through a Hospital Zone or wake up the wildlife if you are in circumstances that won't annoy the rest of the world. Something that is just too loud all the time says more about YOUR PERSONALITY than your bike.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Was out riding yesterday. Temperatures were in the upper 80's /lower 90's. By far, the vast majority of cars and trucks on the road had their windows up and most likely, cause I didn't check any of them, had their air conditioners on. Add a radio, CD player, kids, passengers, cell phones, etc. I doubt any of those drivers could hear a motorcycle until they were nearly right next to them.

The good thing is, as I ride down the highway at the speed limit, or close to it, those people in their cages go speeding by me and that trooper just down the highway a couple miles, with his super high power X beam, K beam , laser lidar unit , just ignores me. Often when I'm passed, by anyone, I say "Thank You". :)

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,001 Posts
I think I replied to this in some form on another thread as some time, since I have had many different types of and variation of loud, from straight to slightly baffled to nearly silent as you can get.

Especially on my EX500's(1987(2) 2008(2) 1989) have had Vance and Hines systems and stock pipes and modified stock and of all the ones I had good luck with keeping people off my back side where the loud ones and the in attentive ones noticing especially if I would roll on the throttle for whatever.

ON my Goldwing (1977) I experimented with straight pipes, and for your own good they are just bad bad bad, your ears will hate you even if you are wearing a full facer and ear plugs, and your motor will underperform.

On my Blackbirds(1997 & 2000) I have run two brother and D&D and my favorite are the stock pipes, they look the best sound the best and perform the best.

On my 1979 DT175 and a 1979 PA50 (both a smoker) Straight pipes seemed to not bother me, or the bikes maybe because I was younger?

All the rest were stock pipes and I have no opinion on. 1979 Cb400, 1987 GL1200, 1980 GL1100, 1979 KE100, 1989 ZX600r

As a disclaimer I have never ever wanted to put an exhaust on a bike that required "a tune" because that usually meant more fuel and I did not want to burn more fuel I only owned motorcycle and no cars most of my life to keep my life simple and cheap and or did not, especially early on in my life, know anything about them just rode the flipflop out of them. in the last 19 years I really turned up fixing my own once I discovered #1 the how to do it, and #2 how much cheaper it was to do it yourself.

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
Since the OP stated this was a poll, I put one up.
But for me I general do not like them. But that's
because very few actually sound good to me. But
there are the rare quite nice sounding. So it depends.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I voted "Don't care". Because I don't care if your pipes are loud or not. And if you got loud pipes, you probably don't care what I, or anyone else thinks anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a set of 3” led lights on my bike with yellow lenses you can literally see me a mile away since I’ve installed them I’ve only been cut off once in 2 years so I feel they’re safer than pipes but loud pipes help too

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I actually like a "healthy" sounding exhaust system. "Loud" is a matter of opinion, but it's a point of view I wouldn't want to argue with a cop on the side of the road.

Being half deaf, it's probably got to be loud so I can hear it.

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
Being half deaf, it's probably got to be loud so I can hear it.
All the reason to protect what you have left. But I do understand the world of silence
is very much alluring at times. I've lost exactly half of mine and do everything I can to
protect what is left so loud pipes have zero appeal to me. But nice low rumble very
much is appealing. Unfortunately that low tone probably would do more harm than any
high pitch pipe would. But around bikes you'll see my earplugs are in. Just can't take
the risk anymore.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Healthy sounding is good but Screaming Eagles are obnoxious. Had a friend who had them on his Harley. Rode behind him once. After that all he saw was my tail light. I'm deaf enough, don't need to finish the job.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I avoid the loud noises as much as I can but sometimes they sneak up on you and BEEP! BANG! CRAP! What was that?!!!

It was my head hitting the underside of the hood on my wife's car after she leaned on the horn! No time for ear plugs,... or helmet.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts