• Depends

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Doesn't really bother me unless they're REALLY over the top crazy loud. My bike is quiet, and when I upgrade my exhaust, I won't pick the shortest one available, but I really don't care if other people want to make a lot of noise.

It may save a rider by getting a driver's attention in a small number of cases, and I know folks love to debate both sides of that point, but if hearing loud exhaust makes one driver ever swerve to avoid a biker then it's worth it.

Loud cars, trucks, music, dogs and children don't really bug me too much most of the time, either. I have other things to worry about.

·
Honey Badger
132 Posts
I'm not a fan.

If it's a track day and people want open pipes - great. But rolling thru a residential area or where people are enjoying peace and quiet, etc it's just obnoxious "Hey look at me" behavior. I'm not a super sensitive guy ... and I like to hear a nice engine but if a bike is setting off car alarms or children cover their ears as it goes by... it's rude.

It's like going to the library with a boombox blaring thug rap. Poor form.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As Firecracker says, loud is fine, just not over-the-top loud. E.g. "loud" pipes vs. straight pipes. For me it's really just aesthetics: I do like to hear the bike, but not rattle the neighbors' windows. E.g. my Yamaha XVS1300 had stock pipes that were so quiet it seemed like it wasn't running. One pair of Cobra slip-ons later it sounds like a motorcycle! Vs. I once bought a Honda VLX600 with straight pipes that made me feel like my teeth were going to shatter.

·
6,405 Posts
I adore loud pipes with this caveat: Single pin crank only as is typical Harley:grin: The rest sound like an imitation of the aforementioned bike.:wink2:

There are quite a few JAP and Ducati, V-twins with the single crank pin and they sound pretty good.:smile_big:

When you hear a 'loud noise,' and know it's a bike and it sounds really odd, you know it's a dual crank pin wanabee:crying:

I had a brand new 2003 Honda VTX 1800 Retro but aside from some touring farkles, it was stock. One day I went by my Powersports dealer and the service manager, a friend of mine comes running out, grabs me and tells me that they just put a set of Vance & Hines pipes on a bike just like mine and they were just ready to fire it up!!!!:grin:

I waited with 'baited breath,' (Whatever that means) and when they fired it up, it was one of the most ugly and loud exhaust sounds I'd ever heard because of the 'dual crank pin.':crying:

I passed:nerd:

Sam:angel:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Doesn't really bother me unless they're REALLY over the top crazy loud. My bike is quiet, and when I upgrade my exhaust, I won't pick the shortest one available, but I really don't care if other people want to make a lot of noise.

It may save a rider by getting a driver's attention in a small number of cases, and I know folks love to debate both sides of that point, but if hearing loud exhaust makes one driver ever swerve to avoid a biker then it's worth it.
+1

·
Registered
26 Posts
Middle ground for me. A lot of dirt bikes are gasping for a slip-on and re-jet from the factory, but at the same time going too overboard on loud pipes is one of the primary reasons that off-road riding areas get shut down (noise complaints from nearby communities). On choppers, bobbers, old trucks, muscle cars, and most cruisers, yes if there's room to make the engine sound better and perform better I'm all for it, but I'm going to question your sanity if you think open headers sound great.

·
Very Famous Person
9,608 Posts
--

That survey shows two options as I see it. The option missing is the middle. I would say the survey is useless if it leaves out the most preferred option. Most folks I know are in the middle, i.e., we like the robust sound of an engine but not the extreme loudness just to make noise.

How the bike is ridden also matters. During quiet times of the day, or next to other bikes/people/cages is not the time to be revving up an engine with little sound dampening.

--

·
Registered
112 Posts
--

That survey shows two options as I see it. The option missing is the middle. I would say the survey is useless if it leaves out the most preferred option. Most folks I know are in the middle, i.e., we like the robust sound of an engine but not the extreme loudness just to make noise.

How the bike is ridden also matters. During quiet times of the day, or next to other bikes/people/cages is not the time to be revving up an engine with little sound dampening.

--
Good point, RonK. If you use your bike to commute and leave at 5 or 6am and/or return home at midnight then "loud pipes" are probably not the thing to do. If you ride it on the weekends for fun, less of an issue...

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
I have all loud piped bikes placed at the end of any funeral procession I lead. That puts them close to the hearse. After all they are waking the dead loud.:grin:

·
On The Road Again!
2,561 Posts
Loud pipes suck.
These jerks put on loud pipes to piss off everyone around.
Then they put in ear plugs so they don't get a headache from the racket they're making.

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
Velocity beats volume any day.

I prefer bikes that are relatively quiet around town but sing @ WOT.
I thought my Bub's were good at that on my 88 K model.:grin: Are they even in business anymore?

·
6,405 Posts
"These jerks put on loud pipes to piss off everyone around." Offcenter:crying:

I absolutely have never heard any rider say the reason they got their "loud" aftermarket pipes was to "piss people off" and I've been a card carrying member of the motorcycle fraternity since Moses parted the Red Sea so that the local 'HOG' chapter could ride through:angel:

If your bike or the ones you like sound like a 'string trimmer,' then I'm happy for you:kiss:

Well, I'm off to mow the lawn at the Church I attend, on my personal 35hp, 1000cc Kawasaki powered V-twin, stock ZTR mower, that at full RPM's is louder than any stock bike produced. My bad:nerd:

Sam:grin:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts