Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been a long time since I've been on the site, looks like this paint forum is pretty dead, but I'll post here anyway. I just picked up a 1983 Honda Magna v45 (750). Super clean, in awesome condition. However I think the tank has been re-painted, as it doesn't have the Honda logo on the sides of the tank. The paint looks really good, with the exception of a part on the left side of the gas cap that the owner said got some gas spilled on it, so the paint is a bit marred and blurry. I want to polish it out, but not knowing the history of the paint, I don't want to make it worse. In general, the rest of the tank looks awesome. Do you think it's safe to polish this gas tank? I want to use a good cutting compound to really bring out a good shine. The bike isn't actually at my house at the moment, it's at my brother's house, so I can't get a picture of it right now. I will have it at my place on Monday and can add pictures then. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,140 Posts
Could not hurt. Actually it could, but go slow and easy it might clean up nicely or it wont. it is obviously cured well enough to be buffed anyway.

Not letting it cure long enough before use, ie putting gas in it, might have caused the "blurriness". Gas may still melt it so be careful till you know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts