Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's already been noted on another thread further down. Others seem to feel this is a great thing and Polaris is a wonderful, caring company for doing so... before accidents/lawsuits/being forced to by the feds. If this was legally a car, they'd probably be heading for huge financial setbacks dealing with the problems.

In my opinion this is just the beginning of numerous safety and quality control issues to come on these goofy creations. This thing was obviously built to a price, not to a standard of quality, and it's a completely new type of vehicle for the manufacturer. A classic example of never buying an all new vehicle and it being wiser to wait for quality issues to be sorted out, if you just have to own one. Buyers are now essentially put in the position of doing beta testing for Polaris, and there are going to be inevitable recalls as poor quality supplier parts become known over time.

·
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same way with late model BMW motorcycles and scooters, the consumer is their only quality control and the BMW factory fights the dealers and the customers.

This Slingshot scares me and I'm not afraid of man or beast :)wink:) but this contraption might as well be a Go-kart it's so low to the ground. A Fiat 500 could run over it and not even know it, killing all on board.

Sam

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
As I get older, I think I may need one of these 3 wheel contraptions someday. I'm more inclined to consider a Spyder but the Slingshot looks like fun. My guess is that the Slingshot gives more of a sports car experience while the Spyder gives closer to a motorcycle.

·
American Legion Rider
21,251 Posts
That's exactly it vito. Any of those that you sit in versus on will feel like a car.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The Slingshot is certainly more car-like, but I wonder how easy is it to get in & out of? The Spyder obviously is quite easy to get on & off.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Having own/owned both of these units, the Spyder would be easier to mount if you have no issues swinging a leg over.

With that said, the trick to mounting a Slingshot is to step in with both feet prior to sitting down. To get out, stand up and then step out.

Both are great Motorcycles !!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I never even thought about getting in and out, or on and off. After knee replacement surgery years ago, I bought a mega scooter because I could not swing a leg over. I think the Slingshot would be a challenge. Getting in and out looks like getting in and out of a glider (sail plane), something I had real trouble doing when I tried that last year. As an old fat guy, maybe the CanAm is more my thing.

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Having own/owned both of these units, the Spyder would be easier to mount if you have no issues swinging a leg over.

With that said, the trick to mounting a Slingshot is to step in with both feet prior to sitting down. To get out, stand up and then step out.

Both are great Motorcycles !!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Have you turned in your slingshot yet?

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Have you turned in your slingshot yet?
Recall letter arrived yesterday, parts ordered and they will be picking it up soon. I got 14" of snow yesterday, so I'm not in a rush.

If this recall was during riding season, it would be a different story with my patience.... LOL :biggrin:

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
Polaris has a plate load right now for sure .. Slingshot Recall , Paint Issues with the Scout, which has slowed down deliveries at least month behind .. On top of that just acquired Brammo Electric Motorcycles .. Time they started getting their act together on what they currently have instead of taking on more than they can chew ..

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
For just a bit more than one of those gocarts, you could buy something really cool and different.

One sold at auction for $25,600.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Side question.................... Who here has seen/saw their motorcycle unloaded from the delivery truck at the dealer ???????????????

I almost shed a tear that day...I rank it right up there with the day that my child was born !!!!!!!! ..................... :biggrin::coffeescreen::biggrin:

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Side question.................... Who here has seen/saw their motorcycle unloaded from the delivery truck at the dealer ???????????????

I almost shed a tear that day...I rank it right up there with the day that my child was born !!!!!!!! ..................... :biggrin::coffeescreen::biggrin:
Soooo..... Did you follow it back to the dealer to watch them do the recall?

You could get all hormonal all over again.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Motorcycle

One more time.
Motorcycle comes from motor driven bicycle. Bi is two. tri is three.
What you have is a motorized tricycle. What the advertising department calls it, or anything else, does not matter.
If the authorities enforced the advertising guidelines, things would be different.

What do you call a three wheeled Morgan?
What do you call a three wheeled Bull Moose forklift?

Unkle Crusty*

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
If we could all agree upon a single name to refer to them as, we would have 10% less threads on the forum:(

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Name

If we could all agree upon a single name to refer to them as, we would have 10% less threads on the forum:(
I do not care what folks call them, as long as it is not a motorcycle.
If one tries to get on BC Ferries, using the bike lane, it will raise a big stink. From the bike riders, and the cage drivers.
Another test. Can they lane split in CA?

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts

You are SURE the trike is your motorcycle.

You are SURE the child is yours.

:71baldboy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts