Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
That is sure going to give auto manufacturers legal wiggle room on crash testing I bet.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
They should dump a bunch of the legally mandated safety equipment IMO.
Can't argue that at all. Lousy excuse to rape customers anyway.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Looks like Arntufun (sp) can now travel to Texas. Congratulations!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
still illegal in MD, for once this state is doing something right

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Polaris has plenty of money. They'll meet their price at some point.:)

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Yep, if there was ever anything this government should be paying for it's the replacement parts for all their safety mandates forced on us. Twice I've had to replace seat belts that won't release so you can bring them down to use. Sure the vehicles old. So what? I'm sure you mean something else but that hits home.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
And when those retractors are no longer available they can sometimes become difficult to find since some salvages refuse to sell them because of the possibility of being sued if one should fail in an accident.
We don't have inspection laws around here so the dashboards of many cars that have failures of TPMS, SRS or ABS systems look like Christmas trees.

Mandated TPMS is a big pet peeve of mine.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Mandated TPMS is a big pet peeve of mine.
Well that just shows you how out of touch I am. I didn't know they were mandatory already. Geez! Welcome to the USSA is becoming too real a statement. Guess the troll loves this pile of dung.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts

·
8,665 Posts
Well that just shows you how out of touch I am. I didn't know they were mandatory already. Geez! Welcome to the USSA is becoming too real a statement. Guess the troll loves this pile of dung.
I do actually know a thing or two about cars.;);):p

·
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In a way, I hate TPMS. On all my vehicles and my last Goldwing, the TPMS is so sensitive that 1 lb of pressure difference will set it off--it may be more than 1 lb but here's what happens:

Cool/ cold morning TPMS comes on. Later when it warms up, it is off. I can start to work with the red light on and drive 5 miles then it goes out.

So, what this forces me to do is always over fill my tires by 3-4 lbs in the winter.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
8,665 Posts
In a way, I hate TPMS. On all my vehicles and my last Goldwing, the TPMS is so sensitive that 1 lb of pressure difference will set it off--it may be more than 1 lb but here's what happens:

Cool/ cold morning TPMS comes on. Later when it warms up, it is off. I can start to work with the red light on and drive 5 miles then it goes out.

So, what this forces me to do is always over fill my tires by 3-4 lbs in the winter.

Sam:coffeescreen:
Many vehicles don't have the ability to reset after the light comes on, so the light comes on and you're stuck with it unless you have the ability to shut it off. Many of the sensors only have a life of 4-5 years and they can be quite pricey. As a matter of fact my wife's Monte Carlo SS needs two of them right now. $50 bucks for the cheap sensors and & $100 for the good ones, they're just a friggin' nuisance IMO. The car only has 48k on it but that isn't the issue, it's the age, it's an 07'.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A few years ago I had a sender unit ripped off the wheel when I bought new tires and they were removing the old ones. The shop (Walmart) told my wife, "It was already like that" and offered to replace it for $100. You could see where the unit was stretched out and ripped from the wheel. They were replacing OEM tires and the light had never come on before this.

When I called and complained, they offered to fix it no charge, but I wasn't willing to let them touch another vehicle of mine again. Ever.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I do actually know a thing or two about cars.;);):p
Nah, someone already said you don't know squat. You're just another "parts hanger".:p:p:p:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
BTW, on this three wheel car, won't the system always be alerting that one wheel has no pressure since it's gone?:p

·
8,665 Posts
A few years ago I had a sender unit ripped off the wheel when I bought new tires and they were removing the old ones. The shop (Walmart) told my wife, "It was already like that" and offered to replace it for $100. You could see where the unit was stretched out and ripped from the wheel. They were replacing OEM tires and the light had never come on before this.

When I called and complained, they offered to fix it no charge, but I wasn't willing to let them touch another vehicle of mine again. Ever.
Yeah, Wal Mart is where the kids who are just busting in work, it might be better if they had some skilled supervision, but they don't. I just fixed an oil leak on a Town and Country where they completely forgot to install an o-ring on the oil filter. The 3.6l holds a lot of oil in the intake valley when you do that. Talk about a mess. I've forbidden my mom from ever going to Wal Mart again, no matter how busy I am I'll work late.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
There is a guy near me who has a Slingshot. I constantly see him parked places standing next to it while crowds of people form around him. I think the Slingshot would be a pretty cool CAR, but I hear this guy tell everyone that he's a biker. I think I'd like it more if it was classified as a car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts