Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to see dealer ads for the 2015 Polaris Slingshot. It resembles a side-by-side version of a Can-Am Spyder. Speculations are 0-60mph (5 sec), 130mph top speed. To me it's not really a "motorcycle", as you sit "in" it, steer it with a steering wheel, and shift the automotive style gearbox by hand. But you can't (from a manufacturing standpoint) call it a car due to all the Fed. safety regulations.
It's not really how I would spend $20k-$27k, but it might be a fun toy to have in 10 years when you can buy a used one cheaper. For my money I would rather have an Oreion street-legal atv.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's an interesting contraption, but it is NOT a motorcycle.

And the ministry of transportation here in Ontario Canada agrees with me, due mostly because of the side-by-side seating. Just like the similar & popular T-Rex, Ontario won't allow them to be registered here, because it is not a motorcycle, and doesn't meet safety criteria to be registered as a car..

That doesn't mean I wouldn't LOVE to try one though! :D

·
American Legion Rider
20,010 Posts
Even though I'm close to needing a trike, it will be one that at least appears more like a motorcycle. Sitting back to front instead of side by side is a motorcycle. Even the Stallion got that right! That thing isn't a motorcycle. It's a convertible car with 3 wheels. It's for someone else.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is the one that I saw on display in Sturgis. I took a quick look but really didn't take a look at the specs., so I'm unsure about top speed, cost, of engine size.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
A street legal, 3-wheeled go cart. Captain Obvious is gonna predict a whole lotta injuries from these things flipping, going off the road, ejecting passengers, .... MAINLY due to overly aggressive driving.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
Better than this contraption...

actually, if I wanted something like that, I would want either this:

or this, if I go more modern:

These would be WAY better choices than what good ole Jeremy test drove once...

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's a car, not a bike. It's totally uncool.
^^^Yup. I'm going to look at one and test drive it just to be fully informed about my initial impressions and opinions. It looks really cheezy and cheaply made in the closeups in all of the videos I've seen.

Either way, I'd feel like a total tool driving around in that thing.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
When I reach the point of either getting a trike or giving up riding totally, I would still want a motorcycle-like vehicle rather than the Slingshot which is far more car-like than bike-like. In fact, this coming Spring one of my plans is to demo ride the Can-Am Spyder just to see what its like. I might also try to get a ride on the Ural, since with the sidecar it would offer the same advantage as a trike for an older or disable rider, and yet is still unquestionably a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Vito, don't forget the motorcycle trike.

There is a reason why a Spyder has to have a granny program to keep it from flipping over while going around a curve, and the motorcycle trike does not.

·
6,953 Posts
I like it a lot but it is so low it cares me: My Dodge Ram, 400HP, Hemi powered, 4x4 could easily just idle over the front and into the passenger compartment in a heartbeat. It would be hard to jump out of if you had to.

Sam:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm old school to the core I want my motorcycle to look like one, I don't even like sleek looking bikes. And as far as something like that I already got it, a 1967 Triumph Spitfire that I restored 8 years ago and is the reason I never got my bike back running before now.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I have to admit it is really different and really sporty looking. I just don't see me being able to climb out of it. I would have to buy a crane or something. :D :D

I just have to wonder how long it's going to be before the government decides there should be seat belts in that thing.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
OK Great................. If you guys hate it, that means I'm getting it !!!!! I just have to ask all of you to pull off the raod in the twisties, because you will be holding me up......... That goes for you sport bike riders as well. :biggrin:

My deposit is already in....... Don't worry I will be on this forum to make sure you all love it too, just like I did with my old Spyder. :coffeescreen:

Hey Moni,........ it already has seatbelts. and 2,384cc from a 2.4 liter GM engine: 71baldboy:
Here is a little video for you all about my new beast ----- > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUOhSUD1FAg

1 - 20 of 219 Posts