Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, 0830, back Noddy out of the garage for loading. Usually leave for the ferry at 0900. Rear tyre making squeaking sounds on the concrete floor. Rear tar is flat. Just happened to stop at the right spot, so I could see the culprit. A staple type nail from a nail gun. 1 1/2 long, all the way in. About 3/8 wide. Pulled them out with the pliers. Tire lost more air. It is really hard to lift a bike onto the center stand when the tyre is flat. Options. Remove rear wheel, take it to the tire store for plugs.
That would involve reading the manual, be costly for time, definitely miss the 1015 ferry, might miss the 1245 ferry. But wait. I had stashed the tar repair kit in with the tools. Quickly read the instructions. Drill two holes with the auger thing, until it goes in and out easily. Push the plug in. Not easy, hard push. Do the other hole.
Cans of compressed air or something in kit. Says make sure to have correct attachment. That would take time. Use 12 volt pump. That might be hard on the battery and require the engine running. Find the hand pump. Puff puff puff. Me too. Take a break at 22 pounds. Puff puff. 40 pounds. Forgot. Snip the ends of the plugs.
Load gear. Leave at 0905, freeway in two miles. Max 65. Get to ferry on time, and it is 15 late. No worries. But it loses another 15 minutes getting to the big island. Gets there 1245 instead of 1215. Ferry to my Island leaves at 1310, and I need 20 minutes to get there. Made it on time, tyre stayed puffed up. Noddy gets parked for the winter. New paint job and new tyre before next spring.
My third rear tyre flat. Only on these new sport bike type tires.

UK

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts

I've lost count on how many nails I have picked up in my rear tire. And it is always the rear.

·
Visionary
5,278 Posts
Not one plug but 2 next to each other? The violent anti tire plugging folks are probably already writing your obituary, guess you fooled them!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Plug kits are great, saved me a couple of times on my bikes. last year I was getting ready to go to work, went out to the driveway and the truck had a left rear flat. Found a roofing nail in the tire. Went and got the tire plug kit from the bike, plugged the tire, aired it up and drove it to work. Over a year later and that plug is still doing its job.

·
Visionary
5,278 Posts
I always carry plug kits in cars and bikes, haven't had to use the bike ones but I've plugged my cars quite a few times, all of them were permanent repairs except one 3 years ago. That one was a weird shaped hole, almost a tear, it would work for a while, leak for a while, I replaced the plug twice, got away with it for a few months but eventually I gave up and had to get the tire removed and repaired on the inside.. changing it wasn't an option, on a Subaru all 4 tires have to be a matched set to avoid destroying the differentials.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I rarely got a flat tire on a tire that needed to be replaced anyhow. It's always on a good tire and once, on a brand new tire with less than 100 miles on it.

I've heard about how motorcycle tires should be replaced once they go flat blah, blah, blah, but I just couldn't ever make myself replace a tire, with gobs of tread, that only had one itty bitty spot on it. It seemed such a waste.

So I rode them, with a plug, til they got "thin" then replaced them.

·
American Legion Rider
26,012 Posts
I’ve done it myself with a new tire. Had it plug/patched and rode it until I needed another. I just wasn’t going to throw away a brand new tire.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will replace this tyre with the two new plugs, and keep it as a spare. Will also study the front. I might have a bit of insurance money left over after the new paint job. Only about $250

1 - 10 of 10 Posts