Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Aaron. I have an 86 Honda rebel that is giving me a headache. When I try to start it up, all I get is a clicking sound out of the selanoid...I replaced the selanoid, but the same outcome!! Battery fully charged and fuses in relay are good. Any help would be appreciated. I replaced the engine and it turned over the first time I turned the key, but just clicking now

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Yup, while you're at it check the relevant connections and ground to frame.

If the battery tests OK during the load test, then I would check the voltage at the starter lug when the button is pressed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So? Any new developments on the starter issue? If you don't have a battery load tester, try to boost your bike with either another bike or a small car. If your bike starts then you know it's the battery that's the issue. Just don't run the starter on your bike too long if you're hooked up to a car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a runner!!!

Finally got frustrated enough to take it to a shop and it was a quick fix. I did not re assemble the starter assembly correctly. He said that something was not in the correct position in correlation to where the starter meets with the small chain. Thank you all for the advice, I sure appreciate your time. I will post pics soon

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey I'm also having starter issues with my night hawk 450 1983. When I hit starter button, nothing. I connected the solenoid to the battery and there were sparks. I'm not sure what that means.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
hey I'm also having starter issues with my night hawk 450 1983. When I hit starter button, nothing. I connected the solenoid to the battery and there were sparks. I'm not sure what that means.
check and make sure the + terminal of the battery goes to the solenoid and then to the starter The - goes to ground. Watched a guy do that once when he got a new battery with posts reversed. Sparks are not good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts