Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on the Vintage forum as well.

Like many folks, I love Italian bikes, but they are usually out of my budget. I did find a minty clean and completely original 1981 Guzzi GTS 400 with 4K miles on her for around $4K plus $650. shipping. They only made a little over 2000 of them...in-line vertical 4 cylinder engines. Odd for a Guzzi.

Anyone have thoughts on the price or the bike itself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I am assuming it is an internet deal like Craigslist or something, my advice is caution. Personally I would not purchase any bike without inspecting it in person to ensure condition and the title appears in order. Other than that you don't give enough info to make an informed decision. Like is it in good running condition or "needs work", if it needs work are parts available, is the owner the verified seller? Oops, apparently I didn't read the post carefully but my statement of personally inspecting condition still goes. Watching a Mecum auction on TV recently many of the restored bikes were only cosmetic as engine parts can be hard to find. In other words if it looks too good it may not be.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming it is an internet deal like Craigslist or something, my advice is caution. Personally I would not purchase any bike without inspecting it in person to ensure condition and the title appears in order. Other than that you don't give enough info to make an informed decision. Like is it in good running condition or "needs work", if it needs work are parts available, is the owner the verified seller? Oops, apparently I didn't read the post carefully but my statement of personally inspecting condition still goes. Watching a Mecum auction on TV recently many of the restored bikes were only cosmetic as engine parts can be hard to find. In other words if it looks too good it may not be.
Good advice. Yes, it is on Ebay, and I am not able to see it. Thanks.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bdobb be very careful, just for the hell of it looked at an ad for the same model and year Moto Guzzi you say you saw an ad for and the picture in the ad was the same as the first picture in a search for images or pictures on Bing. In other words somebody apparently just used a picture on the internet to produce the ad. I reiterate my advice to see the bike in person with legal title on hand.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bdobb be very careful, just for the hell of it looked at an ad for the same model and year Moto Guzzi you say you saw an ad for and the picture in the ad was the same as the first picture in a search for images or pictures on Bing. In other words somebody apparently just used a picture on the internet to produce the ad. I reiterate my advice to see the bike in person with legal title on hand.
Thanks again. I'm not comfortable with it, and nobody else is stepping up to the plate with a bid either. This one's a no-go.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Kiwi Steve, I think the point is that it was probably a scam as a 1981 Moto Guzzi in excellent condition with only 4000 miles is too good to be true, especially for $4000.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts