Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm hesitating between 2 types of bike Enduro style / Dual sport like DR650, Honda XR250 and a more city / cruiser style like Harley Street 750

Here is what I need it for
Most of my ride is clean dry tarmac (about 95%) it will be for commuting and short trips (max 30min per trip and max 100kmh)
But I would like to have the option to go off road once in a while + having the option to go over sidewalks without problems + going through speed bumps without reducing speed :p
+ once in a while take my wife for a ride :)

Please en-light me :)

Thanks in advances for your inputs

Best,
Mic

·
Registered
677 Posts
Most dual sport bikes have a very high seat height. If you are a new rider, and/or not very tall, this may be an issue particularly early on in your riding.

Most of the things you listed seem to point more at the dual sport, although the cruiser will be more suited typically to bring your lady along.

I think most people will tell you that the average lifespan of a first bike is... very short, lol. Most people get tired of them real fast. Frankly, until you put down some miles, you won't really know what you want/need. Buy what interests you the most for starters, thats really all you can do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx

Thanks for the answer, there's some good tips on that...

Im a bit tall (about 185cm) i had a standard bike about 10 years ago
Then a kawa versys about 5 years ago

Then now I want to buy a new bike
Basically my wife is pushing me for a cruiser (because of the look and because usually cruiser are not that nervous on the road..)

So really can't decide which one... Plz help!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Get the cruiser

happy wife - happy life

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've been a cruiser guy for 26 yrs now and was planning on buying a Victory Cross Country next but I'm really considering a Triumph Explorer XC now. From what I've read they're good for two up ridding and moderate off road ridding.
Being the cruiser guy that I am I think these adventure bikes are ugly as sin but they can do everything my bikes can do and twice as much more so practicality may win out for me and the Explorer looks mean as ****.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had that exact Explorer XC for a while, it was even green! I had bought it used and got a pretty good deal on it (only had 2k miles). JUST traded it in on a Cross Country a week ago. All in all a brilliant bike, fast, handles well, comfortable, etc. VERY tall seat height, but for me with a 33" inseam, not an issue. I too am a cruiser guy though, and for the 6 months I had it, I rode it about a dozen times. Just couldn't make the switch... They are VERY soft value-wise, I would not buy a new one unless you want to get buried in it equity wise...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for the answer, there's some good tips on that...

Im a bit tall (about 185cm) i had a standard bike about 10 years ago
Then a kawa versys about 5 years ago

Then now I want to buy a new bike
Basically my wife is pushing me for a cruiser (because of the look and because usually cruiser are not that nervous on the road..)

So really can't decide which one... Plz help!
If you really can't decide, and the wife wants the cruiser, then I'd get the cruiser...

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If you are looking at the street, consider the 500. It should be everything you say you need and will weigh less than that 750 which will make "off road" easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts