Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Yesterday a wire came loose and broke off the alternator of my bike. The bike is a 2000 Triumph Sprint 955 RS. I tried using electrical tape to connect the wire back to the plug thing. The battery is no longer charging and the bike now won't start. Pictures are below:

As you can see, it looks like the previous owner somehow broke the plastic and that's what caused the wire to come loose:

I need to replace the piece that plugs in here:

Thank you so much in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
I see two contacts on the reference photo - there isn't a second wire hanging somewhere? In any case, that is the field coil wire, which the R/R uses to power the field coils in the alternator; no power in the field coil, no power from the alternator to the battery. As you can see, that should be a common blade-type terminal, which come in a couple of sizes. Measure the width of the blade in the alternator, then go to your local auto parts store, where you should find a crimp-on terminal of a similar size. You will need to cut that one off, remove enough insulation to fit into the crimp area, and use a crimper to fix the wire into the replacement terminal. If the alternator uses an odd size, you may get away with one slightly wider, if you can tighten it enough to grip well enough. The other terminal, BTW, should be a ground wire, so the current from the R/R can go through the field coils. If it worked without the ground wire, then the other terminal is grounded inside the alternator, too; you can confirm this with a multimeter set to ohms, and measure to the frame.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts