Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been overhauling my SYM Joyride 200 (a cheap Taiwanese scooter),
and I've come across this system and I can't put a name to it,
the manufacturer manual (which is quite bad) doesn't mention it once except in picture I found where I can point it out.

there is a metal tube connected to the lower side of the cylinder head, sharing the same 'airspace' as the exhaust, it goes to a box thingy, and then from there to a filter of some sort from which 1 small air tube goes to the intake and a larger tube goes to the metal frame.

i will try to upload the picture i have

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's a PCV system. It ventilates excess crankcase pressure.
that's what I thought at first, but for a PCV system I have just an open air port near the top of head that just vents to the atmosphere through a long tube, and this system has no connection to the crankcase,
and the strangest thing is that the long tube on the lower left of the picture connects to the frame, it is like it is either sucking or venting exhaust gases through the frame which makes no sense to me

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Heckifinow then.

I might could fathom it if it was in front of me, but looking at the picture doesn't show a complete picture of what's where. What works off a vacuum? Maybe an advance unit? Fuel pulse-pump? Some sort of exhaust separator?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I would guess PCV too, either that or some sort of EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You are not tracing the tubing correctly, you probably are seeing an electrical wire that appears to be the tube, and is actually a frame ground, or something. One time I made this same mistake on a truck. make completely sure, heh heh....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
They are liquid cooled and that would be my guess too.

Here's a link to an exploded parts view
yes it's liquid cooled, but i can't see these tube connected anywhere to the cooling system, I've gone over the exploded views but i can't find the part anywhere, most parts are similiar but the diagrams are for 2003 model and mine is 2007,

searching for SYM EGR I found the exact same part I have, so that is the answer.
it looks like their design for the system changed a lot over the years and maybe my model is an in-between design and that's why I couldn't find any references.
i still have no clue why an EGR system would connect to the frame...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts