Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!!!!

I've been riding for two years, started with a Honda CBR 250 and moved to a Kawasaki ZZR600 (2007 model) which I have right now.

I love the bike, I bought it used at 20,000 miles roughly, but have some concerns and would really REALLY appreciate any help from anyone who I'm sure is a lot more experienced than me.

A LOT of times, I'll be riding and suddenly the engine will stop. All the electronics will still be working, displays and everything, but engine itself will just stop and the oil light thing will come on. I'll put it into neutral and press the start button, and it'll start right back up without a problem and run fine. Until it happens again. It ESPECIALLY happens whenever I'm downshifting or braking quickly and it's really frustrating!!!

Another concern I have is: I know that this is a 600 cc bike and should have more "power". But I have some SERIOUS concern because I can only get up to around 25 mph in first, up to around 40 in second, only into around 50 in third, 62-ish in fourth, and 70 ish in 5th, and then it maxes out at around 80-90 in 6th. I know its maxing out thanks to the high rpm's and just the strain the engine makes.

I'm really concerned and hope someone can help me, especially with the speed/power issue.

Thank you so much!!!!!!

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Does it have a kickstand switch that might be bouncing some?

·
Subversive
416 Posts
I can only get up to around 25 mph in first, up to around 40 in second, only into around 50 in third, 62-ish in fourth, and 70 ish in 5th, and then it maxes out at around 80-90 in 6th. I know its maxing out thanks to the high rpm's and just the strain the engine makes.
When the engine is "maxed out" as you say, what are the "high RPMs".... I don't think it could be "maxed out" at 90 in 6th...as "maxed out" would mean it's turning the engine at or close to the redline...

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Did the previous owner regear the bike for stunting duty? Can you give us a tooth count on both the front and rear sprockets?

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Good possibility there Lurch.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohhhhh, I see what you mean. Yes, you're right. I think I'm confusing myself a little here. I mean that the engine itself sounds very strained. In say, 1st gear, it will not go past 5-6 rmps. It's speed doesn't increase very much either, I feel like that's the redline right there, even tho the red line is at 15-16. That's how it is with most of the gears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to get it checked out, but yea, that could be a possibility!!! That's what I've been hearing a lot. I recently had the battery changed, so i know it's not an electrical issue.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
If it's not pulling past 5K or 6K then it's not getting what it needs to make power, like fuel/air/spark/compression, assuming it's getting properly lubricated...

What does it do when you give it full throttle?

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Are you using the kill switch alot when turning it off? If so, stop. Back then before ECU's were on bikes, it was pretty much normal for many to use the kill switch to turn off the engine. What can happen now is if you use the kill switch alot for turning off the engine (and also in owners manual) kawasaki says not to use kill switch as primary way of turning off the engine cause it can cause a hiccup with the ECU.

Try this: Disconnect your battery cable for a good hour or more (maybe do it over night when you are sleeping). This will reset your ECU and problem might go away. Had same problem before on my Vulcan from using kill switch and disconnecting battery for 2.5 hours to reset ECU fixed the stalling issue. Been a good 2 years since I've experienced it stalling on me while riding.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

I am still a bit confused...did you say that your bike won't rev past 5k-6k rpms? If this is the case, then there is definitely something wrong. You should be able to rev it to the redline.

When you open the throttle does it go to a certain point and then start running really rough, and won't give you any more power? If this is the case, has it always done this since you have owned it?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Ohhhhh, I see what you mean. Yes, you're right. I think I'm confusing myself a little here. I mean that the engine itself sounds very strained. In say, 1st gear, it will not go past 5-6 rmps. It's speed doesn't increase very much either, I feel like that's the redline right there, even tho the red line is at 15-16. That's how it is with most of the gears.
"and then it maxes out at around 80-90 in 6th. I know its maxing out thanks to the high rpm's and just the strain the engine makes."

If the engine is running correctly then it is probably a bad clutch or sprockets severely worn.

If its not getting the rpm's, then its like trondyne said, there's some reason its not producing power. I would start with the simplest/cheapest, check air intake, check spark plugs(possibly spark plug wires), and a dirty gas tank.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I got focused on the high or low rpm and forgot about the dying.

As mentioned that could be safety switch, but if it is related to low rpm then it is most likely a fuel problem.......something clogging fuel flow.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Not sure about your bike but the kind I ride is notorious for intermittent running issues due to electrical issues. Causes are two-fold. One is how well the main battery cables are connected and the other is the main breaker coming off the battery. Most folks who have those running issues see no other symptoms of electrical issues. It is one of those things you just need to know about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts