Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 99 Yamaha VS650A about a week ago. It ran great for about 200 miles, and then as I was going down the freeway, the check engine light started flashing, then stayed on steadily, a few moments later, she started backfiring really badly. I pulled off and checked what I could on the side of the road, plenty of gas, choke all the way in, etc. I had a buddy near by, so I rode it there, about a mile or so, backfiring and sputtering out the whole way... We changed out the sparkplugs, and tried to find a fuel filter (I figured it had to be something with the fuel system) but nobody carried one that I could find. After the sparkplug replacement (the old ones were pretty bad) She stopped backfiring and now is running very well again, but the check engine light remains on. If I turn the key from the off position to the on position in neutral, the light comes on and stays steady all the way through. I am not very familiar with bikes as this is my first "Man bike" but I am a gear head and can fix anything, I just need a little guidance from pro as to what to check/replace next.

Thanks for any help!!!

Colin

1 - 1 of 1 Posts