Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helmet: Not sure about this piece, but going to get a full DoT approved helmet.

Body: Rev'it GT-R air textile jacket with CE back protector

Gloves: Scorpion SG3 gloves

Boots: Joe Big Bang boots

Pants: no idea what to get, open to all suggestions. Would like something more than denim, but don't want to go into stores like I just came from the racetrack.

Any ideas? Comments? Pretty safe? Overkill?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
looks basically OK ... just make sure that all the stuff fits you.
I know - you wanna buy it online.
But the gloves and the helmet need to fit well .. . and should be tried on.
Its very easy to get gloves and helmets that don't fit or work properly.
ONLY by trying them on - will you know for sure.
Hence - the effort of finding a good local MC store - is worth the energy you put into it.

same thing also goes for boots ... need to be tried on.

pants - I have both armored jeans and heavy ballistic pants. both are pretty hot when the weather is super warm (above 90 deg F). For hot temps, not so practical ... otherwise good. You can find well made ballistic pants that offer pretty good protection - should be fine as we go into the Fall season :)

cheers,
dT

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Safe is a relative term. I would feel fairly well protected with what you have planned.

Leather chaps provide decent abrasion resistance and can be rolled up to fit in a small space. They are quick to take on and off as well.

There are kevlar-lined jeans available that look like normal jeans.

Over pants that can be removed easily are also an option.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I just purchased a pair of the Kevlar lined jeans, with armor on the hips and knees.

They're surprisingly HEAVY! Around 3X the weight of a regular pair of jeans.

But I don't look like a Beemer dweeb in a body bag when I walk into the diner ;)

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,772 Posts
I would recommend a full-face helmet, be it solid or modular (I prefer modular myself).

Pants: Check out Diamond Gusset. They make jeans with Kevlar lining and optional knee armor. I wear Sliders Kevlar lined cargo pants. I bought brown so they don't look like jeans. They are heavy though. I also have a pair of chaps, but generally use them in cold weather to keep the wind off my legs. Chaps don't provide knee protection (other than abrasion) and if you go off your bike you are pretty likely to land on your knees as some point in your new trajectory. I prefer to have knee armor, although for shorter/round town rides I just wear jeans sometimes. You have to just decide what amount of risk you are willing to take in choosing your gear. You would be best protected with a solid full-face helmet, full racing leathers and boots, and heavy gauntlet gloves, but I personally don't want to wear that stuff every time I ride.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Helmet: Not sure about this piece, but going to get a full DoT approved helmet.

Body: Rev'it GT-R air textile jacket with CE back protector

Gloves: Scorpion SG3 gloves

Boots: Joe Big Bang boots

Pants: no idea what to get, open to all suggestions. Would like something more than denim, but don't want to go into stores like I just came from the racetrack.

Any ideas? Comments? Pretty safe? Overkill?
Helmet:
There are many helmets that are DOT certified, Snell certified and/or ECE certified. If you are truly interested, there are many internet articles addressing the differences. There are many sites that rate the helmets.

I agree with distant thunder that you need to try on helmets at first. Only after you get a feel for which brands fit your head shape, would it be advisable to purchase over the world wide web. Take the advice from the local shop for your first helmet and purchase it there! Look for deals on the internet for your second helmet.

You can look at a wiiiide variety of helmets from HJC to Bell to Scorpion to Arai to Shuberth, etc. There is a vast chasm between the prices of various models and you will find the little details can make a big difference in price.
I would suggest you research the basic types of helmets you want and get the safety ratings. Then go get them on and find the one that fits you best.

Gloves and Boots:
If they are well made by a reputable manufacturer, then I would be happy with them, provided they fit.

Pants:
I've got leather over-pants, which can be worn over jeans due to zippers running the entire length of each leg. They can also be worn by themselves.
The leather is as ironclad as you will find.
They are particularly good in cold weather.

I own 3 pair of Kevlar jeans.
I also have a pair of Sliders Kevlar Carlos, which are quite comfortable.
I have a pair of Yamaha waterproof Kevlar jeans, which have never fit very well.
I have a pair of ICON Hooligan Kevlar jeans, which are very comfortable.
When you add armor - knees and/or hips -- they can feel awkward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts