Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have often read about folks that do not want to be bothered with having to do much laundry while on a long motorcycle trip, and also prefer not to have to haul around sweaty clothing in their luggage until the time that they get to a laundry. So for an upcoming long trip I plan on trying what I have read about. I will be buying some cheap (as cheap as I can find) underwear, t-shirts and socks and/or taking some old stuff that I don't mind getting rid of from what I already own. Then each night at the motel I will just throw away what is sweaty and used. I might even do the same with jeans after a couple of days use and then literally will have no need to ever do laundry. Worst comes to worst, I might have to stop at a Target sometime during my trip and buy up some more cheap stuff. I doubt that the total cost of all of this will even come close to what I will pay each night to stay in a decent motel. The bonus will be that I will also be creating more space in my side cases and trunk to add souvenirs along the way. Anyone here tried this themselves?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Haven't done that yet, but I did leave home once without any underwear, except what I was wearing. Fortunately the little town I stayed in that night had a Wal-Mart nearby.

Usually I put dirty undies into a gallon sized zip lock bag. My duffle bag for clothes has a partition down the middle of it. So dirty stuff goes on one side, clean stuff on the other.

·
Registered
44 Posts
T-shirts: yes. Socks: maybe. Underwear? Nyet. I've gotten too accustomed to the comfort of Duluth Trading underwear. And nothing can make your ride more uncomfortable than ill-fitting shorts.

On socks, I've been wearing the Duluth Trading compression socks to help with circulation. My knees get stiff and feet get numb without them.

Jeans: only if you can find ones that are worn-in a bit. Brand new jeans might chafe where you don't want to be chafed.

I'm with you on the idea of packing light, though. I'm just not very good at it. I'm a kitchen sink kind of guy: if there's room, I'm going to pack something in there.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I should wear a jacket regardless of heat, and I did buy a new Klim ventilated mesh jacket that allows more airflow than any jacket I have ever owned. But sometimes I still want to ride in just the t-shirt and take my chances, and it does take a good amount of space to then stow the jacket in a saddle bag. So I will try to pack as light as is feasible. On whole side case gets filled even before I pack with a rain suit, a liner just incase I encounter some colder weather, first aid kit, flat tire repair kit and a plastic bag with all of the little things I normally leave in the trunk like the air gauge, extra gloves, etc. So trying to pack light enough to have space to store the jacket is a challenge but that is what I will try to do.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
After thinking about it a bit, its not really the socks and underwear that take up so much room, and they don't really weigh that much. T-shirts roll up fairly small good too. It's the jeans and jackets that are bulky and heavy. I can't leave my jacket because it does double duty as a pillow.

Now you could try taking half as many undies, wearing them twice as long, then turn them inside out when you wanted something "clean". :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
When we travel we just take along 3 sets of such necessities and many of the places we stay have laundry facilities so it really is not a big deal. We also put at least 3 bottles of water in the freeze which keeps cool all day along with the other water bottles in our cooler. The key on packing is roll all your clothing as it take up about 1/3 as much space. Not so sure about cheap disposable clothing but who knows it's worth a try.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
vito, I have done that exact thing for years after a good friend and IBA member told me of the tactic.

I save my old skivvies, holey socks; and old. faded T-shirts for longer cycle tours. They are piled in the spare bedroom in what my GF calls, the touring pile.

It works like a charm, it frees up space in the luggage from more souvenir T-shirts, that 5-6 years down the road will end up in a distant motels trash can:grin:

Works like a charm

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Once I stopped using store bought deodorant, my underwear no longer stinks. It took several days to get out all the toxins I had stored up but once I was clean I stayed that way. I was shocked to find out what that store bought stuff was doing to me. I can now just rotate a couple pair by simply rinsing them well in the sink or bathtub. For underwear that is. Jeans I do the "donation" thing but a pair can go a week now. And being older they are thinner so they too can be rinsed if needed. In the summer a little damp to start with is no big deal here in the south.:grin:

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Thin socks, thin grundies and cheap T shirts, all from Wally World, can be hand washed in the sink.
Take one bottle of shampoo for washing everything, which includes you.
Some US guys have a thing about wearing shorts for undies. At least what the guys from NZ, Ozz and France would call shorts.

UK

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thin socks, thin grundies and cheap T shirts, all from Wally World, can be hand washed in the sink.
Take one bottle of shampoo for washing everything, which includes you.
Some US guys have a thing about wearing shorts for undies. At least what the guys from NZ, Ozz and France would call shorts.

UK
Not sure what you are referring to as "shorts"?

And as to washing in the sink: when I am on a motorcycle trip I usually am in a motel for just a single night. Washing cotton or most other materials in the sink would have them still pretty damp by the morning when I would be leaving. And re-packing damp clothes seems to make everything end up damp. Damp stuff sitting all day in a hot saddlebag doesn't end up too nice either. So for me its either use the machines at a motel to properly wash and dry the stuff, or chuck the cheap stuff and move on.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
I am not sure of the material content of a lot of stuff. But some is 92% polyester, 8% spandex. It dries well over night. If not it can be placed in a plastic bag, and finish drying the next night. Or a mesh bag on the bike. That type of material takes up less room than cotton. You could save one weeks worth, and wash as you suggest at the laundry room. Or use a base board heater in the motel t dry stuff. There are other fabrics with similar properties, but I do not know what they are.

UK

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I take long, multi day trips so rarely that I think I can afford the luxury of not doing laundry and just throwing cheap stuff in the trash as I go. If I were making multiple trips a year I would likely see things differently. And at my age, my once yearly long trip probably won't go on for too many more years.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Mrs buys inexpensive socks and grudies when she finds them on sale for just this purpose. On trips I'll only wear lightweight breathable jogging type shirts and shorts/pants all day under my textile riding jacket riding pants. Mrs also finds these on sale in the off season. I have a few large totes filled with all this downstairs. A trip's worth of this type clothing is lightweight and takes up very little saddlebag space. And since my wife spent little money for it, I have no problem tossing them after use if the motel has no washing machines. I only pack a set or two of nicer clothing (pants/shirts) for after we shower at the motel and head somewhere nice to eat in the evening. I do however need to wash my jacket/riding pants once in a while during long trips though. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts