Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
2005 gsxr 1000
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new to the forum but I'm hoping to find some long distance riding buddies for a big tour. The trip will be around 7000+ miles starting in hickory, North Carolina, would take 2 to 3 weeks, and will be focused on riding through the best national parks in the country! Ill be on a GSXR 1000 outfitted for long distance riding so dirt roads are a no go. I plan to camp the majority of the trip and would love to ride with anyone adventurous. I'm in my 20's and might be able to get some friends to go if they have time, but the goal of this trip is to see the USA if you've dreamed of doing a cross country tour via motorcycle. I have not set dates yet as I am still looking for people who might be interested but it will likely be this June or July. Here's a list of the main locations I plan to go to... (Blue Ridge Parkway, Custer state park in South Dakota, Glacier national park, North Cascades national park, Zion national park, and the Grand Canyon). Thanks for reading the post! Lets ride!

American Legion Rider
It would sure be nice and appreciated, if you would introduced yourself to the community in the New Member Introduction forum. Folks tend to open up more if they believe they know someone just a little bit. 馃憤

Visionary
I won't be joining you on that trip but you will love it, you have a few of my favorite places on your list already. Custer State park and the BRP were both awesome places to visit on a bike, one of the most unforgettable moments was sitting on my bike while this huge bull bison walked away from his herd and walked up the side of the road slowly checking me and my bike...He was maybe 15 feet away from me when I took this picture. While your out in the Black Hills don't miss riding Needles Highway and Iron Mountain road, and make sure you see Devil's tower too.

Image-4b.jpg IMG_3094.JPG

Have a GREAT trip.

Reactions: hogcowboy and Porky

Be prepared for extremely HOT weather in the areas you plan to visit.

I have been to just about everywhere you mentioned and a MOTEL with AIR CONDITIONING and a nice attached restaurant and pool is much better than a tent, in my very humble opinion.

Welcome to the Forum.

Sam:)

Registered
2005 gsxr 1000
Discussion Starter #5
I won't be joining you on that trip but you will love it, you have a few of my favorite places on your list already. Custer State park and the BRP were both awesome places to visit on a bike, one of the most unforgettable moments was sitting on my bike while this huge bull bison walked away from his herd and walked up the side of the road slowly checking me and my bike...He was maybe 15 feet away from me when I took this picture. While your out in the Black Hills don't miss riding Needles Highway and Iron Mountain road, and make sure you see Devil's tower too.

View attachment 62066 View attachment 62067

Have a GREAT trip.
Thanks man! That must have been amazing to see a bull that close! Im excited for it! If you know anyone who might be interested id love to here from them.

Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
Man that is a long trip, you would have to average 333.33 miles a day for each of those 21 days. 500 miles a day to do it in two weeks. My old bones couldn't handle either one I am afraid. But I do wish you luck and a safe trip.

Registered
97 CBR900RR, 98 GL1500C, 98 VFR800, 05 VTX1800
good luck doing that on a GSXR. i can barely get an hour in on the blade before my shoulders and neck are begging for a reprieve.

i'll tell you what, though. it might be going the wrong way but i'm riding from redmond, or to rochester, NY in july. i'll be leaving redmond around the 12th of july heading for rapid city and the badlands national park then on towards chicago then under the lakes to NY.

if you're route works out, it'd be cool to have a partner for the ride.

Registered
2005 gsxr 1000
Discussion Starter #10
Wish I could but can't. What do you mean a GSXR outfitted for the long haul? I would think that riding position would not be comfortable for a long haul.
Upright handlebars instead of clip ons and touring and tank bags + the tent and other equipment. It looks odd but it works surprisingly well. Thanks for replying man!

Registered
2005 gsxr 1000
Discussion Starter #11
Man that is a long trip, you would have to average 333.33 miles a day for each of those 21 days. 500 miles a day to do it in two weeks. My old bones couldn't handle either one I am afraid. But I do wish you luck and a safe trip.
Yes its quite the distance but I love traveling and ive wanted to see the west for a long time. I may extended the trip to 3 weeks but im not sure yet. It really depends on who can come along but i wouldnt be limited by time if i went alone.

Premium Member
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
It's gonna be tough getting someone that has that much time off, unless they're retired. And let's face, I don't think your trip is gonna jive with an old retired guy馃槈

And to those that don't think it'd be comfortable on a sport bike, I did a 3500 mile trip on my cbr1000rr in 5 days. I used a large tank bag that was perfect to rest on. I was just along for the ride!馃榿

Registered
2005 gsxr 1000
Discussion Starter #13
good luck doing that on a GSXR. i can barely get an hour in on the blade before my shoulders and neck are begging for a reprieve.

i'll tell you what, though. it might be going the wrong way but i'm riding from redmond, or to rochester, NY in july. i'll be leaving redmond around the 12th of july heading for rapid city and the badlands national park then on towards chicago then under the lakes to NY.

Ill keep that in mind man! I would be traveling backwards however
It's gonna be tough getting someone that has that much time off, unless they're retired. And let's face, I don't think your trip is gonna jive with an old retired guy馃槈

And to those that don't think it'd be comfortable on a sport bike, I did a 3500 mile trip on my cbr1000rr in 5 days. I used a large tank bag that was perfect to rest on. I was just along for the ride!馃榿
Thats the way to do it!!! The gsxr is okay with stock clip ons but with the handlebars it should be easy. I knew it would be hard to find people, seeing as its relatively short notice, but I'm hoping someone might be able to join up. It would be cool to ride with people for a section of the trip and keep going once they needed to get back home. I have some friends locally that im trying to ride with but the more the merrier! O and one sport bike that i would dread to ride that long on is the rsv1000r. The seating position is like a panigale and v-twin 1000s HATE city riding.

Registered
2005 gsxr 1000
Discussion Starter #14

Have you been to the Badlands? What is it like out there? It would be cool if we crossed paths along the way! Do you do much motorcycle camping?

Registered
I have been there but not for a while. Sagecreek rim is a road through there and it's a nice scenic trip. The land is striped red and white and a lot of interesting topography.
I don't motorcycle camp at this time. Haven't had a need for it. There's always a hotel near by.

Visionary
Have you been to the Badlands? What is it like out there? It would be cool if we crossed paths along the way! Do you do much motorcycle camping?
Badlands are a must see, the 50 mile ride that winds through there is not to be missed! The only thing to warn about it to expect heat, it was 115 in July when I was there the first time. The second time, same week but a year later, it was 73. So you never know...

Registered
if you haven't yet planned a route, this is the one i plan from redmond to rochester. so if you're taking a lower route out west, you can do this one with me back east or we can meet up in rapid city, SD

Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
My preferred touring pace is about 350 miles/day, so you three week itinerary is reasonable. I like to get going fairly early and be done by supper time. That gives me time for plenty of breaks (about every 1.5 hrs), lunch, and visiting with other riders and locals en route! Tip: Wear a Camelbak so you can hydrate while riding. You can snake the hose through a FF helmet.

I'm heading to Tail of the Dragon/Cherohala Skyway (a 50+mile long national park!)/Great Smokies mid-July. I have a 2018 NINJA 650 that's set up for touring, so it's totally doable. I've also toured on a 2015 NINJA 1000 and a 2017 NINJA 300. Keep us posted on your travels and we'll see if we end up there at the same time!

Registered
the ninja is akin to a gsx-s, not a gsxr. both the ninja and the gsx-s lack clipons and have a more upright riding style. the gsxr is similar to the zx series.

Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
the ninja is akin to a gsx-s, not a gsxr. both the ninja and the gsx-s lack clipons and have a more upright riding style. the gsxr is similar to the zx series.
Gotcha. Kinda like Hayabusa position, right? I worked Suzuki Demo Days and had a chance to ride one. Although it was an awesome bike and cornered like nothing I had ever ridden before, my bum shoulder could only take it for 20 minutes at a time. I rode it four times over two days. The sponsoring shop had an orange used one that another female rider had traded in (I think the ergos were set for a smaller person) and I think it had bags on it. It sure was tempting, but I knew I would never be able to take it for very long.:cry:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts