Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Pinlock install. It came with the helmet so it is the right model. I put the gasket against the visor and it's not upside down. The visor is brand new and not moist.
I didn't touch the eccentric nuts either (they're the furthest apart they can be and looked ok)

Do you know what's up with my thing?

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,445 Posts
I noticed that with my new helmet to. Never having had one I just opt to leave it off and go old school leaving it slightly open. I’m guessing you never notice it up close to your face but I’m probably wrong. I’ll leave it to the experts on this one. But I will be watching the replies.

Sent from phone.

·
27,445 Posts
I've also thought that the amount of dust I get forced to ride in that using the pinlock shield might not be too wise. I'm not sure if dust would get trapped between the two layers or not. With the colder temps now I suppose I should give it a try again. Then just watch and see if dust does get trapped or not. It gets everywhere, this I know for fact.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I did the same as Hog. It was a PIA so I do without it and if riding with the visor closed, I just crack it open if needed.

·
27,445 Posts
I did the same as Hog. It was a PIA so I do without it and if riding with the visor closed, I just crack it open if needed.

I have to try it again though. I hate to see the possibility go to waste.

Sent from phone.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
I reached out to Pinlock. They told me to really flatten the visor/screen when installing it.
I did it 30 times, it worked the 30th, still not sure why
I have to try it again...
Apparently you'll have to try it again, and again, and again, and again, and again... 29 more times. :smile:

·
Registered
501 Posts
My Shoei pinlock system works perfectly and snapped in and out without much effort the two times I tried it. The inner piece has raised edges on one side that prevent contact between the surface of the pinlock and the surface of the visor. Seems to work fine, and I have not experienced unwanted contact between the two as shown in the OP's post.

Thing is, I don't like the pinlock system. The additional layer, on top of polarized sunglasses and whatever coatings are on the visor, seems to create a subtle refraction effect that can be distracting. The pinlock also does not expand beyond the field of view, resulting in an additional layer of border occlusion arounds the pinlock edges. Sure, it works wonders for defogging the lid. It might even serve on a few winter days when the air is frigid and no sunglasses are in use because it is dark on both ends of the commute. Maybe.

I ride without it. See better. Crack the visor if things get foggy. Kind of wish the cost of pinlock had not been built into the lid. Would have rather had more vents or a lower price.

·
Visionary
5,751 Posts
How about close to impossible?
I use a pinlock and it does really work amazingly well, but I have also seen the weird reflection issue and there are times I think I lose some light from the extra layer.
But I tried without it a few times, and at 3am in the winter the fogging was awful, with the pinlock it's maneagable so I put it back in.
I've had some leaking between the 2 layers on one visor, it comes and goes, my ohter 2 are perfect, I think I just have one bad one, maybe I should take it apart and put it back 27 more times :)

·
Visionary
5,751 Posts
Thanks. I did adjust them tighter, 3 times. It's better, but still sometimes leaks at one spot and gets some fog in between at that point. Drives me crazy.

I may have to adjust it 27 more times :)

I may have exaggerated :D

mike721> Have you tried adjusting the eccentric nuts of the posts? They're supposed to allow the gasket to sit perfectly on all its length.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The pinlock is a godsend when riding in rain. The high humidity causes fogging of a normal visor, and if you crack the visor to get some air in, then rain runs down the inside of the visor and can't be wiped away.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.