Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently trying to figure out what I'd like for a first bike, and also wondering where you guys get great deals on gear?

My budget is a bit flexible, but I'd like to get set up under $4500 dollars. Stuff can be expensive here in MA, so that might not go as far as it does in other parts of the country.

Here's a few details:
-I'd like something that will hold it's value. I don't want to eat the depreciation of a brand new bike.
-Sport bike
-looks like a modern bike, so probably no more than 10yrs old
-I have a car so I won't depend on a bike as my sole transportation.

I've been looking at cbr 250r's, cbr 500r's, ninja 250r's, ninja 300's, as well as the ninja 650's.

What are your opinions on buying blemished bikes? I wouldn't mind if I got a sweet deal on one so I could just spend the extra cash on aftermarket fairings. I'm thinking black with high vis yellow accents, but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself with that. :biggrin:

I could also use some advice on how to navigate a craigslist purchase. I literally have no idea how transferring a title works etc etc

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
First of all welcome :)

I think we could all help you more if you told us a bit about yourself. How old are you? Is this your first motorcycle period, or have you been a dirt rider for ten years? I am guessing you are fairly young since you have never transferred a title before. And how tall are you? Different bikes have different seat heights.

Regardless of your level of riding ability, you should take the BRC if you haven't done so already. You will learn a lot of good stuff that will save your life if you put it into practice.

Where you live will have an effect on how expensive bikes are. In my area, you can get good Ninja 250's for around $1500-$2500 depending on the year, and l think they are the best bang for your buck for a beginning rider. When you get into CBR 250's, and any of the 300's, unless you get a stellar deal, it will depreciate significantly in the next 2 years.

Don't hesitate to buy a bike with a scrape on it, as long as the scrape is priced in, it runs great, and doesn't have a salvage title.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
23 years old. With several hundred thousand miles under my belt on various 4 and 8 wheeled vehicles, but none on 2 wheels. Mellowed out quite a bit in my driving habits since high school; driving is a part of my job so speeding tickets aren't so good.

5'10" 170lbs and in excellent shape. :biggrin::biggrin:

The thing I like about the ninja 250 is that there are a lot of them out there. I'll probably put 4k miles on it and sell it before the year is over but they seem to completely hold their value around here. They're all listed between 2k and 3k. Any ad under 2k tends to have a red flag in it somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Progressive gives me a quote of $350 a year to insure a 2011 ninja 250 inlcuding collision, which is pretty sweet. Forgot to mention I was only looking at 2008-2012 ninja's, not so much diggin the tail end / seat style of the older ones, although I don't doubt that they are good bargains.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Yes, they hold their value after an initial drop of about $1500 in depreciation. New riders love them, and everyt year thousand of new riders join the ranks.

I say find a good deal on one with reasonable mileage, in good running order and with good rubber and you will be fine

·
Registered
245 Posts
Agreed, but I think you should look at the Honda 500 bikes. They have more reasonable power and are still classed for insurance like a 250.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts