Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice rider, meaning I have been riding dirtbike for years but this is my first street bike. I just picked up a 1980 yamaha xs850 from my cousin, so far it's a great bike... Only problem I've been having is parts availability, which isn't anything to bad since it runs good. Any way figured I would post here to say hello, and introduce myself. My name is Bobby, I have loved bikes since I was very young (all my uncles were/are bikers). As I said before I rode dirtbike for a long time, and finally found a starter street bike I could afford. I am hoping to keep this bike for atleast a year and then upgrade to something a bit newer.

:71baldboy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I do love it, but I need something a little bigger after this one. I have been thinking about it though, and I may keep it even after I buy something new. I think after a fresh paint job, and some overdue maintenance it would be a hell of a bike.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
An 850 in good running condition would be a great first bike for someone who already has riding experience. Are you signed up for the basic rider course yet? It will take you from where you are to understanding street riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked into some safety courses, unfortunately all the ones I found clash with my schedule. The season is almost over for me up here in MN, so maybe next spring/summer I can take one.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Gotta love those old bikes. Many of them make great starter bikes and some are just bikes that we love and keep because they are just so much fun to ride.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Xs850

There is an XS11 site. Some of the guys have good mechanical knowledge, plus know where to get parts. I have an XS11 1979, and an XS400 1983.

Unkle Crusty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts