Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any vintage Honda gurus out there? Can you tell me what the heck happened with my bike? I have clear signal lenses on my bike, but there is no switch to turn them on, or even a spot where they may have been. This was a two owner bike, 1st owner was a lady who had it up until a few years ago. The guy who sold it to me didn't understand why it is like it is either. The headlight high/low works fine, also speedometer, odometer, and tail and brake light.

Here are some photos. Any guesses?

Thanks!

Vehicle

Bicycle handlebar Red Vehicle Bicycle Bicycle part

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Fender

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle fork Vehicle Tire

Red Vehicle Car

·
Registered
781 Posts
Is it possible turn signals were not required back in '64, Winger? I know my '66 Harley doesn't have them. I don't think turn signals were required in the US until around '68 or '69. It is odd that there is no switch though. It should be on the left side under the light switch.

Does the bike have rear signal lights?

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked, Winger. Turn signals were not required on motorcycles until 1972.
Interesting, ketchboy. Nope...no switch and no rear turn lights or lenses either. Funny they would have the front lenses without any use. I should check to see if they have bulbs in them. Very odd if they do!

·
American Legion Rider
26,015 Posts
Is this your bike too winger? It came up doing a search to see if others had them. Posted by OldMotoDude...

Even if it isn't yours, look at the bike next to this one. It looks like it has a similar light but also has a amber light on the rear fender. Yet the first bike doesn't but it looks like there is a rubber plug where one would go. I'm thinking they aren't directional lights but just running lights that should come on with the headlight. Is that possible???

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Is this your bike too winger? It came up doing a search to see if others had them. Posted by OldMotoDude...

Even if it isn't yours, look at the bike next to this one. It looks like it has a similar light but also has a amber light on the rear fender. Yet the first bike doesn't but it looks like there is a rubber plug where one would go. I'm thinking they aren't directional lights but just running lights that should come on with the headlight. Is that possible???
Looks exactly like mine as far as I can tell, although his has had at least some rehab done. Mine is bone stock original. I'm still going to pull those semi-clear lenses and see what's in there....like a bulb or socket.

Here's mine:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
That's a beautiful old bike. How did you get the chain on that great big sprocket? It doesn't look like the rear wheel would adjust forward enough? Or was another chain, or links added?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Back in the old days, when we were young, Honda supplied an extra chain and master link that fit over the large sprocket, RG. That made the bike good for hwy and trail riding. Wouldn't work these days though. The kiddies might get their hands all greasy and dirty. lol.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a beautiful old bike. How did you get the chain on that great big sprocket? It doesn't look like the rear wheel would adjust forward enough? Or was another chain, or links added?
Exactly what Ketchboy wrote above. My bike even came with the extra link of chain and master links to do the job, with zero corrosion! Yes, and you have to do some wrenching to do the job as well. (Oh, the pain!). I was amazed that my tool kit is also original, and has everything needed to adjust valves, spark gaps, etc...very cool. I loved wrenching my old bikes as a teen...even turned my '72 Kawasaki F81M 250 into a flat tracker. Trick paint and all. Those were the days when wrenching wasn't so technical.

Anyhow, I like staring at this old plastic Honda. Honda... let the good times roll. Is that correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts