Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm looking for suggestions on a mount that can securely hold a phone for use as a GPS. Most everything I see on Amazon looks sketchy as to whether it could really hold a phone on a motorcycle.

If it makes any difference, it is a 09 ninja 500r

Thanks for the input

Nick

·
Registered
809 Posts
When I have my Givi top box mounted, I "mount" my cell phone inside it. When I don't have the Givi mounted, I "mount" my cell phone behind me on the seat with a tie down strap.
I can't afford to be distracted by my phone while riding - not even with Bluetooth and not even for navigation.

Ride to Live - Live to Ride.

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
I've been looking into the same thing,a phone/gps mounting system for my Vision.
I've been looking at the RAM stuff, it looks solid and I've heard good things, I just have to spend some time deciding just where I want to put it on the bike and then figure out which parts to order. They make so much that I'm not sure which ones to use.

·
Registered
64 Posts
heard nothing but good about ram mounts. I picked up a magnetic phone bag off amazon. Held onto my phone on my tank at 90mph.

·
Registered
179 Posts
When I have my Givi top box mounted, I "mount" my cell phone inside it. When I don't have the Givi mounted, I "mount" my cell phone behind me on the seat with a tie down strap.
I can't afford to be distracted by my phone while riding - not even with Bluetooth and not even for navigation.

Ride to Live - Live to Ride.
A friend of mine just got a bar mount for his phone. Pretty useful, I'm thinking about getting one for navigation purposes. The phone would remain off however when the bike is in motion. I'd pull over just like I always do to read it, it would just allow me to avoid having to take it in and out of my pocket.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sounds like a plan!
A friend of mine just got a bar mount for his phone. Pretty useful, I'm thinking about getting one for navigation purposes. The phone would remain off however when the bike is in motion. I'd pull over just like I always do to read it, it would just allow me to avoid having to take it in and out of my pocket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a friend with a bar mount and it rusted and fell off! BYE BYE phone :(

Make sure you invest in a high quality NON RUSTING bracket haha;)

·
Roamer
176 Posts
I have a RAM mount. X-grip to hold the phone, short double socket arm, U-bolt clamp with 1 inch ball base which clamps around handlebar. Works great. Phone has never fallen out even on bumpy 75mph interstate rides.

The instructions do say to superglue the rubber tips onto the metal prongs of the X-grip if you are going to be going over rough terrain, so be sure to do that. You can also get a little rubber retainer that holds the phone to the grip for peace of mind ($3, called Texel Webgrip).

I can take some photos if you need some. If you want to see it "in action," here's a link to one of my videos where I have my phone sitting in the X-grip: https://youtu.be/nCus1GL7MNI?t=3m42s

Not sure how your bike is laid out up front, but RAM does make a stem mount, so that could be an option for you vs the handlebar mount.

I bought my mounts through GPScity.com. They were all the real deal.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I'm going through this right now for a Garmin. I don't like the Erector set look of Ram Mount but found this simple ball mount so will be going this route. I'm fairly sure this one can work for whatever phone you might want or they have another style that just like this for a phone.

EDIT: DANG! I'm sorry about the size of this picture but that's right off the site so have no control over it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interesting.

I actually ordered an XL ram mount (phone size) and i can see the stand up a little high point. Didnt bother me too bad, it's really just there for gps anyways. rest of the time I just leave my phone in my pocket

·
Registered
804 Posts
I echo what some others have said on Ram Mounts. I have the X-Grip, model RAM-HOL-UN7BU, which I use for my Galaxy Note 5. It's a pretty big phone, but it holds just fine. For some extra insurance, I added the tether.

The "erector set" look is quite handy for me in terms of changing the position of the phone. I prefer it lined up with the gauges when I don't have a tank bag on. With the bag, I can move it over to the side.

·
Registered
64 Posts
so i'll throw my .02 after a days use if anyone wants pictures, let me know.

I have a little phone holder that's magnetic. it worked well, but made gps hard to see, had to take my eyes off the road and look down. I ordered the ram mount with the xl holder (phone required the bigger size). I felt super secure with my phone on there. mounted it to my handle bars and it's in good view and I can adjust how exactly it's positioned for my liking. not the most attractive thing, but the connector from the handle bar mount, and the phone mount, can be easily removed and taken with you. So I just take it off and leave the small mount on the handle bars when I'm not on the bike, or if i'm not using gps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I have too many universal phone mount which I bought from Wolfpack, their universal phone mount adjust to fit your phone. perfect for phone used with a case. Mount a universal phone mount in your car today. So i would recommend you to checkout Wolfpack's Universal phone mount It would be great for you. So just do it.

Universal - Phone Mounts - WOLFPACK PARTS

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
410 Posts
I have a larger Pixel XL in a Otter case. I have had a hard time finding a mount that I would feel comfortable with until I found this. They make them big enough to securely hold full size tablets on your bike. Ive got several hundred miles with it holding absolutely perfect. I added a usb charger that woks perfect as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts