Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woz on the ferry, two other bikes. I smell petrol said the British educated guy with the BMW. Probably venting from my gas cap said I. But a quick check when I got home, and Yami was dripping on the left hand side. Maybe a sticky float I thought. This happened just before I left on the bear drip. I took Noddy. Got thinking about it over the last week, and wondered if maybe it was the gas tank. It has leaked before.

Back on my Island yesterday. Checked Yami. Leak is from the gas tank. Moved him to the sick bay this morning. Where ya gonna find a gas tank for a 79 XS1100 Special on an Island. Oh wait. Lettuce check the 1100 I bought a couple of weeks ago. The one I did not tell Shirley about. Oh my, wot a nice gas tank. Swapped the pieces and put it on today. Needs painting.

I still have one more spare tank, that needs a gas cap, and badges.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Is it Yami that keeps get parts from other bikes all the time? It must look like some ******* pickups down here with the right door one color, the left door another, the hood another, the pickup bed yet another color. And smokes to boot. So is that Yami or a different one?

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is Yami that gets the parts from other bikes. Speedo, front forks, middle drive, seat, exhaust, and now a gas tank. I have also eliminated some silly electric relays, like the one that waits for the engine to start, before turning on the headlight. And the one that sends Epower to a small light, if the head light fails.

UK pic soon.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
That's the picture I had in my mind except I had one green side cover and one red. Maybe even a white fender. As long as he/she runs.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The front fender should be chrome, but it was too rusty. The colour should match the side cover. We were close. The tank up until yesterday was the same colour as the front fender. Yami runs great. It fires up the best of all of them, during the winter months. He shifts a bit like a Mack truck. There is a growl at 6000 revs I need to explore. Yami has more grunt than Noddy, who has the same power numbers, and weighs 70 pounds less.

As well as Yami, I now have the mint 1980 XS1100 Standard, the soon to be worked on 81 Midnight Special, a spare 79 Special the same as Yami, and a spare engine and rear end for the Midnight Special. The Standard bike with the bigger tanks, is getting closer to running. I just picked up new tyres and brake parts for Laramie.

UK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.