Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nobody likes the Gubbmit telling them what to do.

But a large % of Americans basically quit EVER checking the air in their tires. The result was a large # of spectacular wrecks, and massive lawsuits against Ford, Firestone, etc.

Innocent civilians get killed in these wrecks too, not just the irresponsible vehicle owner.

So now we've got mandatory TPMS systems, and all the headaches they create. Including the enormous cost when a sensor fails, or is damaged by a tire shop.

A large # of drivers have NO IDEA how to get maximum braking out of their cars, or to pump their brakes when a tire begins to skid. So we get mandatory ABS, courtesy of the Insurance industry, because of all the idiot drivers who are clueless about not jamming on their brakes going around a corner. The Gubbmit is basically just the insurance companies agent on THIS one....

The next one is brake/tail lights. There simply aren't enough cops out there anymore to issue "fixit tickets" to all the folks with taillights that are out.

You think they're turning right but it's really that their left brake light is out. It can create some hairy situations if you go to pass and they turn in the opposite direction you expected them to.

So the next thing the Gubbmit will do is mandate LED taillights, with a minimum of 13 or so individual LED's, so MOST v ehicles will never again suffer a complete loss of signal lamps.

It's the FAILURE of individuals to take responsibility for their vehicles which FORCES the government to take actions like these. And then everybody whines about "Big government."

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I personally think we have become too lazy as a society. ABS, cars that practically drive themselves, ect. ect. I personally cannot stand ABS driving in New England snow storms. It's gotten me in more trouble than my pump/release/slowdown method has ever gotten me into. I taught my children how to drive in snow using a non abs car. They need to know how to stop correctly incase the abs fails. Not only does it scare the living dickens out of me when it kicks in, I'm sure all that vibration has to kill the rotors. Basic things like checking your own darned lights/signals should be up to the driver, not the Big Brother...

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I personally think we have become too lazy as a society. ABS, cars that practically drive themselves, ect. ect. I personally cannot stand ABS driving in New England snow storms. It's gotten me in more trouble than my pump/release/slowdown method has ever gotten me into. I taught my children how to drive in snow using a non abs car. They need to know how to stop correctly incase the abs fails. Not only does it scare the living dickens out of me when it kicks in, I'm sure all that vibration has to kill the rotors. Basic things like checking your own darned lights/signals should be up to the driver, not the Big Brother...
if you lock up all 4 brakes on ice, then the ABS (Anti Braking System) don't even kick in....and I agree, ABS is a failure to begin with

·
Left. No, the other left.
219 Posts
They need to know how to stop correctly incase the abs fails.
That's the root of it, isn't it? The cars get "easier" to drive, and personal responsibility for actually knowing how to handle one disappears.

One of the first things I'm going to do when I get my bike is spend a lot of time in a parking lot, finding the sweet spots for throttle and friction zone, practicing the emergency swerve, and finding exactly where that line is between firmly squeezing and locking my brakes.
Ain't no one gonna do it for me - especially on a highway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts