Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and I were riding to a friends house about an hour away along a long 55mph country road today and I got stuck behind a bunch of cars just stopped in the road. Being in a hurry, I pulled onto the shoulder to go around them. As soon as I got on the shoulder I saw that a motorcyclist had crashed and was laying in the middle of the road with his leg under the bike (It was a Harley **ahem** :biggrin:). I rode up to him, asked him if he was ok and helped him and his bike get out of the road (holy sh*t, those Road Kings are WAY heavier than my Ninja. I mean I knew they were heavy, but I wasn't expecting that). That was when I realized that all those cage drivers were just sitting there, in their cars, staring at him. Why the f*** would they just sit there. Why wouldn't they get out and help a person who could be seriously hurt? I could see one person doing this but ALL SIX CARS THAT WERE WAITING BEHIND HIM?! At the VERY LEAST drive around him and leave. Best case scenario is he was unhurt but extremely embarrassed and wouldn't want people staring at him. This is my rant.

-BTW, he was unhurt. His bike looked like it was ok minus some scratches and cracks. He couldn't seem to get it started before I left, but shortly after I got it off the road like 6 or 7 more Harleys (its an epidemic) pulled up and I'm sure they have more expertise in that area, anyway:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
It seems amazing, but it is, unfortunately, the norm. I find that very few people act instinctively for another's welfare.

I find that the overriding characteristic of those I choose as friends is the confidence that they "have my back" and vice versa. Sometimes the right thing is to act first, think later.

·
Registered
78 Posts
that's crazy. i could see one person maybe freaked out, but 6 sitting in their car not helping.

but ya know, some of 'em probably had the "they might sue us" instead of the "omg they might be seriously hurt" thought process.

which is shame.

kudos to you to stopping and actually helping instead of taking pics of it and posting it to facebook to lolz about.

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
that's crazy. i could see one person maybe freaked out, but 6 sitting in their car not helping.

but ya know, some of 'em probably had the "they might sue us" instead of the "omg they might be seriously hurt" thought process.

which is shame.

kudos to you to stopping and actually helping instead of taking pics of it and posting it to facebook to lolz about.
Possible, not a good excuse not to help someone, but possible. More likely laziness and selfishness. And it wasn't just 6 people, it was 6 cars. Every car had 2-4 people in it. So you're talking up to 24 people that were just staring. You'd think SOMEONE would say "huh, maybe I should see if this guys ok." Instead of just waiting for the guy to get unstuck and then get his billion pound bike off the road by himself so you can move on unhindered.

I even felt pretty bad leaving when he couldn't get it started, but as I wrote, there were a bunch of Harley guys there by then and I am very mechanically UNinclined so I would have been of very little help.

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
good job sigma, I'm quickly losing my faith in mankind.
My wife and I are hairstylists. People confide in us things that they should only tell their doctors/therapists/lawyers/psychiatrists/priests etc... Let me tell you, I lost faith in people a long time ago.

·
It's all about attitude
880 Posts
I believe the "Good Samaritan Law" would protect anyone offering assistance. You did good to help,some people just won't get involved. Glad the rider wasn't damaged too bad,only the pride and that heals pretty quick.

·
What?
865 Posts
Saw almost the same thing a while back, before I even bought my bike. I was sitting in a wendy's eating dinner after work and saw a car cut off a guy riding a massive chrome and purple shiney ass cruiser, watched him dump it and watched a whole line of cars go around him. I left my food on the table and went out and helped him get it back on two wheels. He was fine, but I would bet he scratched and bent about 1k in shiney parts on his bike

Just recently when I dumped my bike I had to almost dodge traffic getting up off my face and lifting my bike back up. Watched a few bikers ride by me as well with out even a wave. The only person ask if Iwere okay was some dude in a pickup.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not all

Not all are a holes!

I was doing a U-turn after a rain in Maryville on Wolfe Island Ontario Canada to get on the ferry to Kingston. About half way through I saw that some one was opening a drivers door. Rear brake, clutch in left, foot down, THUMP! My foot slipped on the slick wet road and I was pinned under my bike. There were old men, old ladies running over and lifted the bike off my left foot. I got it the rest of the way up and on to the kick stand. Every one was very concerned and helpful.

One asked if I needed the EMTs called!

I took my rain boots off and pushed the bike to the curb. A shop owner brought me a cup of coffee! I went into his store, bought some sweet rolls and left a big tip.

·
Super Moderator
6,326 Posts
Glad you were able to assist the guy. Knowing that I cannot lift a bike that size, I wouldn't even attempt it, but I would find him help and make sure that he was medically okay....

When we got stranded along the highway, there were a lot of people who just passed on by, but there were others who stopped or slowed up and asked if we needed assistance. One young woman, came back and brought us bottles of water!!!

I am the sort of person who stops for most accidents, the last one the older lady rearended another car...but she had a compound fracture and was on blood thinners and bleeding heavily...I think some people don't know enough to assist anyone in an emergency and just drive by...but I think they call authorities....for assistance....and anymore ...it is just plain dangerous to stop along the highways....

·
OH MY GOD HI TO YOU!
69 Posts
A lot of people get frozen at moments like that. My grandmother broke her hip in a hotel when she missed a step. Everyone just stood there like a pack of deer caught in a headlight, including other family members. I had to direct the on-looking security guard to call 911 for us.

Another example: a lady in a company car was rear-ended by a 17 year old girl (I always remember her age because it was her birthday) and her car was driven into mine. I made sure no one was hurt and then said we should move the vehicles off the busy two lane road. "But it's a company car" the woman said. I tried to reason with her but she was so shaken up and worried about her company car that I gave up. She and the teenager were basically completely out of it. I went back to the car and ate lunch.

Being cool under pressure is not a skill most people possess. They lock up with fear and shut down. And then some people are just apathetic.

On the other hand, people can be incredibly compassionate. When tornadoes hit Alabama on April 27, 2011, the amount of people who gave supplies and volunteered was crazy.

·
Certified Homeless Biker
2,552 Posts
well ... back in the days I dropped my bike at stop signs and red lights quite ... often (4-5 times maybe?), pretty much everytime either people get out to help, or if they saw me able to lift the bike up they'd pull up and ask if I was OK and if I needed any help.

Don't lose faith in people guys, it's just bad apples, and you just happened to see a lot of those rotten apples

·
10,763 Posts
All I got from this was you must dislike Harley riders.
More like he was angry and amazed that 6 cars full of people could just sit there and watch another human pinned under a piece of equipment (even if it is a Harley), lay helpless in the middle of the road like a turtle flipped onto its shell.
If it were me I would have parked my bike right in front of the lead car in the group and walked up to the driver and read him / her the full riot act. Of course after helping the other rider.
I have really had it with stupid drivers in my area. I actually told a city councilman on Friday that I would volunteer to drive around in a Police car and write tickets to people who drove like idiots. The tickets would not cost them any money, but instead require them to go back in and retake the driving test. He laughed and said that was a great idea. I was only partially joking.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Yes, I know. Just not sure why the Harley comments were needed. For me they only distracted from the story, it's an old, very tired joke.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Maybe this situation occurred because it was a motorcycle that had crashed, and some folks might be wary of "bikers". I'm certainly not excusing their behavior, but I had an encounter last year where the accident involved a pickup and several folks in addition to me got out to help. An older driver ran a red light and t-boned another pickup crossing the intersection. The truck that was hit spun around but its driver was fine. The old driver's truck flipped over twice and went into a ditch. My wife and I ran over to help as did several other folks who were also waiting at the red light as I was. I rendered first aid while my wife called 911 and we stayed until the paramedics took over. Maybe people are just more comfortable running to the aid of a driver rather than a rider.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts