Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saving up for a bigger bike and found it is time to sell my bike to add to my funds. I put my Honda 750 on craigslist for a reasonable price, about 1/3 of excellent nadaguides value stating it leaks oil, which it did and is not really doing hardly at all anymore.
so a dude calls and wants to look at it; so he does and I start it up for him and he starts revving the heck out of the engine while it's still cold. what a moron I'd like to have pushed him off the bike, but who knows it seems wrong to do to someone that doesn't know any better. he then looks at a little drip of oil hanging under the muffler collector and says "I think I'll pass".
should I drink a cup of coffee and calm down? :coffee:

·
Registered
886 Posts
The coffee is not a good choice as it is a stimulant, smoke em if you got em or whatever relaxation technique works for you. Selling something brings all the same types of idiots as buying does.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Trying to sell something can be a pain sometimes. Good luck Plumkin, give it some time. That bike is just what somebody out in your area is looking for.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
I start it up for him and he starts revving the heck out of the engine while it's still cold.
When I went to look at my current bike, the owner did this....He started it up and started revving the engine to 8K plus...to impress me I think... I heard the (loose) cam chain rattle and I made a face like when you hear chalk going the wrong way on a blackboard and I said, 'please turn it off...' lol

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
at least someone came and looked at your bike....mine has been on craigslist since April and I haven't heard anything....$2K under blue book too.....

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
It may sound crazy but try raising the price a grand.... See what happens...
blue book is $7200, I started at $6500...and have dropped from there to the current $5500.....I think the biggest problem is here in my area, people are wanting the smaller bikes, not a 1700cc

G

·
I sold two bikes on Craigslist and never had an issue. Both sold fast and were sold to the 1st people that came out to look at them. The 1st was a 2005 Virago 250 (my starter bike) and was sold to a couple. He felt it would be a good starter bike for his wife. My 2nd was a 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 (my 2nd bike) That a guy wanted because the year before they stopped making them and he wanted one. He was a little strange but he bought it. Both bikes sold within a week.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
When someone is coming to look at the bike, have it warmed up before they get there.
I'll never buy a bike that has already been running. I want to hear it start cold. Anyone that warms one first is hiding something. I walk away after touching it if it's warm and won't say a thing to them.:p

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
I agree with HC on this one

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
huh, I bought the bike non running and invested some money into it. so maybe it's because I didn't get the chance to rev it up is what got me on edge.
I had another gentleman swing by and did the same thing- was I mad? no. maybe I am just not understanding what it is in certain people that ticks me off. sorry for griping.
thanks for shedding some light on my understanding of the desire to rev a cold engine.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Can Relate to what you are saying .. Revving a Cold Engine is just stupid .. But sadly are lots of idiots out there ..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can Relate to what you are saying .. Revving a Cold Engine is just stupid .. But sadly are lots of idiots out there ..
I think the Honda v45 engines especially have top end problems if revved cold such as cam failure and who knows what else

·
Registered
245 Posts
Stupid noob question, but what exactly does revving a cold engine do to it?
Your bike needs to be at operating temperature to properly lube all mechanical bits inside of the engine. If it is cold, you risk having metal-metal contact.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your bike needs to be at operating temperature to properly lube all mechanical bits inside of the engine. If it is cold, you risk having metal-metal contact.
+1 - also I am not so sure about aluminum block with steel inserts motors but say you had a cast iron block and an aluminum head in your Lincoln towncar. the aluminum head expands due to the heat at a different rate than your cast iron block and it can blow the head gasket

1 - 18 of 18 Posts