Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got a set of these things cleaned up and wondered how many other guys have stories to tell about them... The linkage that operates the slides is all mechanical with four ball and socket joints in each carb comparable to a human hip joint and no diaphragm involved in the slides.
My downfall happened when the carb slides were frozen in and the things had to be soaked. Believe me, less is more when it comes to taking these things apart. If I was ever forced to soak any component, I would just confine it to the slide area only. Once all the bitty parts got wet with the water based Yamaha carb cleaner, the nightmare began.
I lucked out buying a set of carbs at the huge swap meet at the All Ohio show [Honda CB550] that worked, but had one broken float post and was missing the floats and jets. Finally, I figured out how to break them down in a minimal fashion and that is what got my good set back together. I lost one emulsifier tube [NLA] that just fell out while I was carrying it across the grass to rinse the cleaner and slime off the original set, and even with my best efforts, embarrassingly lost a few bitty parts of the linkage. The $30 spent on the spare carb rack paid off big.

My buddy Jay bought a CB350 Four and I showed him what he might be up against. He decided very quickly that I could sit at his shoulder when he tore his apart. Hopefully my mistakes will benefit him on his bike.
My best suggestion would be that if you feel that you must remove carbs from the rack, that you remove carbs 1-2 or 3-4 as a set and keep the other set mounted while you work on half the carb to completion.. I used ethanol proof fuel hose and new O-rings on the fuel tees as well.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Sounds like you had too much fun! Challenges like that are entertaining, aren't they?

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
For situations like that, I get a sip of Lagavulin or Glenmorangie, and mull it over a while. One of two things will happen: I'll be inspired and get it right, or take a nap.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts