Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I just recently invested in a power commander (fuel controller) because I am a cool kid and do not like the thought of my motorcycle running remotely lean, my question I am posing to the forum is this, should I choose a predone map that does not fit my bike or should I attempt to make one myself. My thought is what is the worst I can do to my motorcycle. Make it run too rich? Anyone got any advice or first hand experience? I am just 17 and do not have the money for a dyno tune yet so I am just looking for something that is going to keep my engine running normally and I am not looking for something to boost my hp to 10000% its original.

if yall are wondering about the mods they are a coffman "slip on" and a nice and shiny air filter, the bike is a 2014 cb500f ;) (gotta love that under 25 insurance)

·
Registered
50 Posts
There may be someone here that can tell you exactly what to do, but if I were you, I'd look for a forum dedicated to your model bike and ask the members there. I'm sure there are quite a few that have already experimented with different preset maps and tweaked the perimeters on their own and have found out what has worked and what hasn't. Remember what works with one exhaust system may not work well with another.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
There may be someone here that can tell you exactly what to do, but if I were you, I'd look for a forum dedicated to your model bike and ask the members there.
Definitely this! You do not want to run a map that is not designed for your bike! I will say that, with only a slip on and air filter, you should be just fine with the stock map but you need to talk with folks who know that model for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
see i would believe that but i am getting some pretty good after burn after popping the throttle a little bit, and the problem is i am getting some exhaust detonation with only the slip on and the air filter is not installed yet lol

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
If you are going to mess with the magic box, you really need to have it run on a dyno with all the sensors hooked up.
Or learn how to read plugs accurately.
Or ask others with the same bike and setup, what they are doing.

Way too rich you will wash fuel into the oil, spill fuel into the exhaust and have it go bang. Way too lean you will run hot and seize.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
Never dealt with that particular machine but you can (or should) be able to see the map you have when you plug the Power Commander / bike into your computer.
With only an exhaust change you shouldn't need to make big changes.

Before you start tuning put new spark plugs in and run it 20 or more miles then look at the plugs. They probably won't show any deposits and the center electrode will probably(?) be very light in color. (Or deposit free).
If so...
Looking at the map on the computer, go thru the entire RPM range increasing fuel a small amount at each RPM range, maybe a touch more at the higher RPM.
Keep at it till the center electrode begins to show some darkening about half way around and the ground electrode darkens some at the bend.
Then you should be in the ball park. (For the RPM you just ran / checked it at).

These days almost all multi-valve Japanese machines run with very little deposits collecting on the center insulator for quite a few miles... you gotta 'read' the electrodes at first.
If you see deposits on the center insulator right away... You're WAY rich. At least that's my experience with the newer 4 and 5 valve engines.
But like I said, I've never dealt with that particular machine... So there is that.

Or, If Power Commander recommends a map that matches your modifications you could try that first and see what you get. Just keep in mind, every machine is at least a little different.

Happy trails and good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i might just end up doing what you suggested semi, but then again i was thinking about just slightly increasing my richness (like 5-10%) through all ranges and seeing if that makes a difference, if i still am apparently lean then i might just have to do the spark plug option

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
You have a different bike and a different tuner than I do. I have the PVCX. But you can do real damage playing with the brain of your bike. So like suggested, find a dedicated forum for your bike and go to the tuning section. If you are getting pops before changing slip-ons and filter, it's only going to get worse once you do it unless the popping now is coming from a loose header or muffler. But the same will be true no matter what. Use the knowledge of those that blazed a trail. There is however a chance there is someone here that has done it but they might not see your question though. At any rate, let others know once you find the answer. That's what makes this site great. We share info even if we have to blaze the trail.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,671 Posts
It sounds like you are going to ignore years of experience and do what you want. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts