Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Not pay at all

Votes: 2 10.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what others do at Pay-and-Display parking - the ones where you pay for a ticket then put it "on your dash".

Seems to me that the ticket is basically worth face value to some random driver arriving 5 minutes later, so leaving an all-day ticket on your seat is like leaving a $20 bill.

On some occasions I've kept the ticket, but written the details on a scrap of paper. One time I got a parking fine in the mail but sent them a photocopy of the ticket saying "paid by credit card" and they didn't get back to me.

More recently I've thought of tearing the ticket in half, leaving half and keeping the other.

If I parked like this a lot I'd probably fix up some kind of lockable display case.

What do others do ?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I haven't encountered this yet, but I don't know if I would even park there. I voted "Park somewhere else." I have the saddlebags so I would put the ticket in there - no way am I leaving it in the open, especially around here with all the "swipers" we've got. Heck, our vehicles get broken into right in our driveways around here - locked or not. And it's a quiet subdivision.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
On the occasions that I'm unable to follow the rules to the letter, (I'd never leave my ticket where someone could steal it) I make friends with the parking attendant (if there is one) and interact with him / her long enough that they remember me, so if there's any question, they'll remember that I did pay and they'll remember that I took my stub with me.

I'd never do it in a lot without an attendant, because I'm sure the bike would be towed.

My favorite option is to find a parking garage with a ticket gate.

·
i dont like taxis
380 Posts
Here in NYC, as long as you stay out of the commercial parking streets, you'll be fine. I always park in the muni-meter streets without ever paying for it because i never get a ticket. However, i have heard of people getting tickets for not displaying their receipt, but one could argue that they paid for it and it was taken. Which eventually gets thrown out after pleading not guilty and possibly attending a hearing. I've only received tickets for parking on sidewalk and in commercial only street. Otherwise, been pretty lucky.

·
Read Only
950 Posts
On the occasions that I'm unable to follow the rules to the letter, (I'd never leave my ticket where someone could steal it) I make friends with the parking attendant (if there is one) and interact with him / her long enough that they remember me, so if there's any question, they'll remember that I did pay and they'll remember that I took my stub with me.

I'd never do it in a lot without an attendant, because I'm sure the bike would be towed.

My favorite option is to find a parking garage with a ticket gate.
in California there are many parking places that are vending machine only. They periodically send meter maids around and ticket anyone who did not have a ticket displayed. This is a cost saving measure (and a revenue generator!). If you get a ticket then odds are its not a private lot anyway, but a government lot. Private companies have little ability to ticket you, which is why they have attendants.

It is generally not possible to enforce a failure to pay parking ticket when you have proof that you paid. The ticket is for not paying, and proof that you did in fact pay means they have to prove you did not (the whole innocent until proved guilty thing). The best that they would be able to claim is that the ticket in question was from some other vehicle, and they would have to prove which person or its just speculation. This does not mean that it will just go away because you showed them the ticket, it is after all the government who has made budget considerations based on revenue levels from such fines. You may have to go to court to fight the fine, this means you have to spend time and money (at least gas, and more parking fees...) to fight it. Many will accept a photo copy as proof that you paid though, providing it is sent in before any due date.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and no matter how hard you try you may still have to pay the ticket - some judge somewhere may decide that the ticket covers both paying and displaying for example.

I certainly would not leave the ticket in a way that is not secured though. That is inviting intentional theft or just a strong wind taking it away and your proof of payment goes with it. I think those systems are dumb and you should pay for the individual space you are using as opposed to just a "random vehicle somewhere in the lot/garage". One place I saw put meters in the garage to solve that problem (Manhattan Beach) while others are the stupid receipt system.

·
Ninja Robot
1,829 Posts
There aren't a lot of these around here so I had never even thought of it. I would look for somewhere else to park.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
I,ve never seen anything like that.
Anywhere I've been it was a gated parking ramp.
Get time ticket on way in and pay for time used on way out. Often times the ramp is free after "buisness hours"

·
Certified Homeless Biker
2,556 Posts
Interesting! I've never bumped into such case, but I'd vote for "park somewhere else".
One time I parked at a broken parking meter (didn't know it broke till I put money in), so I left a note on my seat. I would say do the same? Maybe "I paid but no way I'm leaving my ticket here?"

·
Registered
50 Posts
These types of parking options are very popular in Europe. Maybe they could provide us with better insight.

I went with the "Park Somewhere else" because I wouldn't want to risk it.

·
Ninja Robot
1,829 Posts
That is how they used to do parking at the fair and some concerts, other than that you don't see it to often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In Denver I have the same problem. I was able to get the local paper to print a letter about the problem, asking in particular how I would keep the receipt from blowing away - should I carry scotch tape with me? A response from a local politician was to keep the receipt to prove I paid, which could then be used to excuse the ticket. I'm not sure if it would work.

As far as gated garages are concerned, the garage near my doctor's office won't allow motorcycles. When I asked why, I was told that a motorcyclist could lay their motorcycle down and drag it beneath the gate to avoid paying the fee. I laughed at the attendent and pointed out the beautiful bodywork on my '86 Interceptor. Why would I ruin it just to avoid paying $5? He grumbled a bit but finally let me inside.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought these were more common

Pay-and-Display is very common here in Vancouver (Canada) - it may be the dominant method. I believe many are run by Impark, but can't find information on their website. There are also attended, gated lots and some numbered-stall schemes (note your stall, then go pay). Impark runs a pay-by-cellphone scheme which I've not looked at because I'm a very infrequent user, and usually don't carry a cellphone.

I live in one of the suburbs which still have free parking at malls while shopping, and free parking at most businesses. Vancouver city totally eliminated free on-street parking a few years ago.
My employer was recently forced by their landlord to charge for parking :( ; there is a sticker scheme with a reduced rate for bikes, but the ad-hoc dispenser is one-rate pay-and-display.

When I lived in the UK 30 years ago we used to park offstreet in random unobstructing spots and never paid or got tickets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts