Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the roads that I regularly ride are two lane highways where a passing lane is added every few miles. As you approach the extra lane part of the road the signs will say "Passing lane ahead" and when you reach the passing lane the signage says "Slower traffic move right" or words to that effect. But some drivers are so oblivious to what is happening around them, or just don't care, that faster drivers (or riders) are forced to pass on the right. Yesterday that happened to me twice, both times where I was behind two or more large tractor-trailers barely going the speed limit. Both times the trucks stayed left when we reached the passing lanes, forcing me on my motorcycle to accelerate around them in the right lane. The second incident was a three truck convoy, so I had to get up to about 90 in a 55 zone to safely get past them on the right and then cut back in before the passing lane evaporated (making my wife as passenger scared silly on this country road).

Why can't the state just use different signs that might actually get the slower traffic to move right, leaving the left lane open for safe passing? The signs could read "Move right to allow passing vehicles in left lane" or something similar.

Its bad enough when you get stuck behind slow moving vehicles on a two lane road without a passing zone for miles and miles, but just as annoying when you have the luxury of an added passing lane, but the slow vehicles refuse to move over to let you safely pass. I would prefer a law that banned all vehicles from the road when I want to go out for a ride, but would happily settle for better signs that encouraged slow vehicles to stay out of my way.

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
How about the jerks that go slow until a passing lane then they speed up? They frustrate the heck out me. Seen it cause some serious road rage in others.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Passing on the Right --- Beware!

Let me tell you what can go wrong passing on the right like that. I'd waited patiently for MILES to pass a buttplug of 7-8 cars and trucks backed up behind a slowpoke doing 48 in a 55 or similar. Somewhere in northern Arizona.

Just like you, we finally got to a dual lane passing zone, uphill, and every single vehicle but the slowpoke STAYS in the left lane. I decide I'll zoom up on the right, (at least 1/4 mile) till I'm right behind the slowpoke and then cut back in in one of the HUGE gaps in front of one of the trucks.

Why not? I've got plenty of power and a desire to pass the entire schmazola, not just 2-3 of them, in the time and space available.

Well the SECOND guy in the "wad" gets half way up the hill in the left lane, applies his brakes, and turns on his left turn signal. Driveway with mailbox half way up the hill, of all things.... There's downhill traffic so he has to come to a complete stop.

Immediately all half-dozen cars behind HIM doing 70mph+ lock up brakes and /or attempt to execute an emergency swerve into the RIGHT lane, ASSUMING it's empty, right where I'm heading uphill at warpspeed, passing through a LOT of blind spots.

Yeah, coulda killed me.

(Ya gotta wonder why Mr. Left Turn didn't put on his signal at the BOTTOM of the hill and ascend it at 35 mph to FORCE everyone to the right long before... Shirley, he's done this before!)

So be VERY careful with that passing on the right at high speed routine.

Nowadays if I'm getting aggravated with slowpokes I'll sometimes make an illegal pass in those opposing left turn lanes along country roads. Why not? Road is plenty wide, visibility is good, and it's safe FOR ME. If I get a ticket for it I'm out some Benjamins. But I'm alive.

Decide if you're always going to do what's legal or what's safest for YOU and SCREW the fact you may occasionally eat a ticket for it. But passing on the right....beware!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Changing the sign posts won't do anything. They know exactly what it's for. I can see your point though. A few questions and an observation from the other side of the fence though...

Are you queued up behind them? Meaning, are you slightly to the left of them so the big trucks can see you in the mirror and are you making your intentions clear that you want to pass by riding up a bit on their ass?

If you aren't they may not want to take the chance that you aren't aggressively going to roll past them when they get into the right lane. I have several trucker friends... if they don't see the vehicles behind them ready to take the opportunity to pass, they won't get over. Trucks like that don't have the power to gain speed up steep inclines. If they get to the right and the vehicles behind are taking their time in passing, the truckers are going to suffer by having to come to an almost complete stop in the middle of an incline until the other vehicles pass. Now, what would have taken a few minutes to get up the hill, they are stuck with double or triple the time to get up that same hill.

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
I've been known to say the heck with it and pass on a double yellow. One of those that it really doesn't make sense why it is that way but must be needed but I just don't see it. You can see for ever. That kind but yet double yellow. I know some day I'll get nailed for it. In fact not long ago I pulled out to take a look at one with about 8 eight cars in front of me. But something about the second car just bugged me. But since I pulled out, the guy in front of me decided he couldn't have someone pass him so he jumped out and went. He made around all of them while I sat back still waiting. Sure enough that second car was an unmarked Corvette. Lights from inside came on and everyone really slowed down. That was a close one right there! Could have been me and surely will someday. I do get irritated when these people doing 45mph in a 70mph zone can't pass one at a time when there is no double yellow. Just bugs me to no end. Yet after I pass them, here they all come. Just a bunch of followers. No leaders in today's world.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have never seen a CDL stay in the left lane. However many in POV's do this......and I believe I know why, and the fix.

The reason is because the right lane ends, and there is always that AH that will be in the left lane blocking the person in the right lane from staying on the road. Quite understandable because it happens all the time.

The fix, as I saw in Ohio, the left lane ends, the people in the right lane have the right of way.

On every left lane ends passing lane that I have been on, it works just like it should.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
The fix, as I saw in Ohio, the left lane ends, the people in the right lane have the right of way. .
such a simple fix to such a common problem. I wish Colorado would do that!

We've got several passing zones near Durango/Bayfield where drivers can't SEE exactly where the passing lane ends until they GET to the bitter end, due to rolling hills, bad sight lines, etc.

So half the overtaking drivers chicken out, and the other half attempt a hero pass right as the two lanes converge. It gets ugly.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
I doubt you will get the Government to change its signs. However........I too am "guilty" of using the right "Slow Lane" from time to time, to get around traffic that is slower than I want to go, in the left lane.

I'm wrong to do it, (using the right "slow lane" for passing) and it's a great way to get killed by a last-minute vehicle change in front of you!!

Should the "slower traffic" move over? Of course they should. But we don't live in a world where that is reality.

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Here in Queensland Australia, where we drive on the left hand side of the road, the passing lane signs read:

PASSING LANE, KEEP LEFT UNLESS PASSING

So your US signs should read "Passing lane, keep right unless passing".

They also have signs here where two lanes go into one saying MERGE. In New Zealand these signs say MERGE LIKE A ZIP. we have very little trouble merging, it's just something that people accept, I go in before you, you go in before the car behind me, the car behind me goes in before the car behind you.

My wife did psychology, and she says there's a reason slow drivers speed up once they hit a passing lane. It's something to do with there being more space, they feel less threatened once there's an extra lane outside them, so feel more confident speeding up.

One problem we do get a lot is where there are two heavy trucks together and they reach a passing lane on a hill, the second one is capable of travelling faster than the first one so pulls out to pass, and slowly inches past at about 5 mph faster, takes up the whole passing lane length, no-one else gets past the first truck, and the truck that passed goes off slowly into the distance with you stuck behind a truck.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Some of the roads that I regularly ride are two lane highways where a passing lane is added every few miles. As you approach the extra lane part of the road the signs will say "Passing lane ahead" and when you reach the passing lane the signage says "Slower traffic move right" or words to that effect. But some drivers are so oblivious to what is happening around them, or just don't care, that faster drivers (or riders) are forced to pass on the right. Yesterday that happened to me twice, both times where I was behind two or more large tractor-trailers barely going the speed limit. Both times the trucks stayed left when we reached the passing lanes, forcing me on my motorcycle to accelerate around them in the right lane. The second incident was a three truck convoy, so I had to get up to about 90 in a 55 zone to safely get past them on the right and then cut back in before the passing lane evaporated (making my wife as passenger scared silly on this country road).

Why can't the state just use different signs that might actually get the slower traffic to move right, leaving the left lane open for safe passing? The signs could read "Move right to allow passing vehicles in left lane" or something similar.

Its bad enough when you get stuck behind slow moving vehicles on a two lane road without a passing zone for miles and miles, but just as annoying when you have the luxury of an added passing lane, but the slow vehicles refuse to move over to let you safely pass. I would prefer a law that banned all vehicles from the road when I want to go out for a ride, but would happily settle for better signs that encouraged slow vehicles to stay out of my way.
Vito, I really do sympathize but what do you expect to see when a truck is doing the posted speed limit? Do you really expect them to move over for you to pass at over the speed limit? I sure don't. To me "barely doing the speed limit" = doing the legal speed limit. What if anything would you expect them to do different than what they did? If I am the slow vehicle in a 70 speed limit area and I am doing 70, what more do you expect me to do and why in the world would you expect that?
Please get real.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
If I were doing 70 in a 70 mph zone and there were people behind me, I would move over to the right to let faster vehicles go by.

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
Same here Dods. Let the sponges go. That's what I call those that soak up radar signals.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The fix, as I saw in Ohio, the left lane ends, the people in the right lane have the right of way.
That's a brilliant solution to the same problem we also have here in Ontario Canada!

Changing the sign/wording around won't do squat to change some peoples bad habits. But by simply redesigning that lines painted on the road IMO that would help a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Vito, I really do sympathize but what do you expect to see when a truck is doing the posted speed limit? Do you really expect them to move over for you to pass at over the speed limit? I sure don't. To me "barely doing the speed limit" = doing the legal speed limit. What if anything would you expect them to do different than what they did? If I am the slow vehicle in a 70 speed limit area and I am doing 70, what more do you expect me to do and why in the world would you expect that?
Please get real.
I used to think that too... but the left lane is the passing lane... if a vehicle in the left lane isn't passing someone and there are vehicles queued behind... they are supposed move to the right hand lane and let folks pass in the passing lane.

Hence, the signs that read, slower traffic move to the right.

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
Texas has signs on the interstates that clearly state that the left lane is for passing and you will be given a ticket if you are joy riding there. Never seen that sign on secondary roads with passing lanes though.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
That whole system is messed up. Those passing zones should have the overtaking vehicle on the right. That way the slower driver stays right where they are. This is better for everyone. There is no confusion. We know they are slow already. Why would I want to wait for them to decide to move over and eventually perform the lane change when I just bang it out the split second the second lane opens up?

If the signs read "slower traffic remain in lane" or something like that, it would be a more efficient system.

If the whole idea of passing right is offensive to highway planners, perhaps they should have designed the road where the through lane veers to the right and the second lane appears to the left of it for a brief while.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
...perhaps they should have designed the road where the through lane veers to the right and the second lane appears to the left of it AFTER a brief while.

There is one of those near where I live. It's weird, and I've been through it a zillion times.

If they were all like that I guess I'd get used to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts