Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Rider only for now
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ridden with my husband on both 1977 and a 1989 Goldwing. I have also ridden the Blackbird and the Ninja 500. Each one is different, the way the wind feels, the balance of the motorcycles when we ride. I have no favorite one to ride with my husband, just love our freedom.

I first rode in jeans and regular clothes. Now I have gear [ATGATT] and love it. I feel safer and really comfortable especially in the summer or even in rain, which I really enjoyed.

The hardest thing to learn is to ride well with your partner, which I feel I still am learning. Riding together means not fighting his control, balance, or even panicking. I was going to take the Basic Rider Course, but COVID happened. All classes were cancelled. I still want to feel and learn from the rider perspective when I get the chance.

What are others experiences as a passenger only?

·
Administrator
2,111 Posts
Each of the Golwings you rode with helmet only. The sportbikes was after we got married and insisted you try it in gear and you had the aha moment with summer riding, and any elements.

I rode a CX500 from Denver to St Louis in a Tshirt once and paid for it. Gear is your friend as riders, it can make the ride more enjoyable since the elements are not beating you up, and not to mention if it becomes a f'd up day.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
573 Posts
I haven’t been a passenger before but maybe once. My wife is a great one! She’s tall 5’8” but thin at 135lbs. On longer interstate rides she sleeps on the back! Yes you read that correctly.
She’s been riding with me though since 1986.
When I got my current Venture and the first time we were riding “The Rattler” (290 curves in 24 miles) I went into a decreasing radius turn and was scraping the floorboards. She didn’t panic, but just asked “what was that?”.
I let her know the bike was just letting me know how far over we are. She just said “oh, ok “ and never asked again even though I did it a half dozen more times on that same route. She just trusts me and leans with me.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I think you are on the right track to becoming a great pillion or maybe even a pilot. My wife attended a BRC and earned her endorsement just because she wanted to achieve a milestone. She likes riding on the back. She is an excellent co-pilot. The BRC gave her the basics of what I was doing up front and why. She learns quickly and as the years have passed we have learned to trust each other and constantly train. She went from sitting still to following my body movements and understanding why I lean the bike, why I shift my body, when and how much. She likes the backpack position of a sportbike and sport tourer because she says she feels more of the bike, kind of like one-with-the-bike through me I suppose. On high speed runs she good up through 240 kph, and in the twisties she likes the 35-40 degrees lean, and is prepared for the emergency/threshold stop, which we train for often and a rapid swerve. She is by far the best skilled, knowledgeable and enjoyable pillion rider I have ever enjoyed. We have communicators in our helmets which allows us to better share the ride. She is my second set of eyes, has learned to anticipate what I'm doing, and going to do in traffic and we keep each other informed what is happening ahead, behind and around us. She also has a keen eye for wildlife and dumb life in cages. Learn all you can about riding skills and what the pilot needs to do to keep you both safe. It also may lead you to liking the front seat more than the back. Good Luck with your adventure.

·
Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,624 Posts
On longer interstate rides she sleeps on the back! Yes you read that correctly.
That’s what my wife would do every morning on our commute to work. Great passenger then. Once she woke up she was was a lousy passenger. So I guess a good passenger is either asleep or blind. 🤔

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. I like my pillion rider to stay awake, be attentive and ready. My wife and I, while self-training, actually train for 'get offs', amongst other skills. We actually had an opportunity back in 2009 to put it to use. Right hand low slide. Lift the low side leg out clear, stay with me, push off, until on the ground, separate and tuck in. It may not be the only way during a low side, but it worked well for that one. We are ATGATT, which protected the skin and the helmets protected out grey matter. A few bruises, but we both ended up upright. I came out with a Bennett fracture on the left thumb otherwise unscathed. She had a bruise on her right side. If she was sleeping it may have been worse. Road the bike home.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
My wife would fall asleep on the back of the different Goldwings we had. Don't know if I ever knew she was asleep until she told me about it later. I know she never fell asleep when we were on a crooked road. When I would go into a turn faster than she thought I should, she would grab a hold of me on both sides just below the ribs.

And on any ride where she did that, (and I should have been expecting it) the first time she did it would surprise the heck out of me. (It kind of tickles too.)

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
573 Posts
My wife would fall asleep on the back of the different Goldwings we had. Don't know if I ever knew she was asleep until she told me about it later. I know she never fell asleep when we were on a crooked road. When I would go into a turn faster than she thought I should, she would grab a hold of me on both sides just below the ribs.

And on any ride where she did that, (and I should have been expecting it) the first time she did it would surprise the heck out of me. (It kind of tickles too.)
Yeah, maybe I should’ve clarified it a bit. She would snooze when we were doing 500-600 mile days on straight interstate with very little if any traffic. The only reason I knew she was sleeping was because I commented about something I saw, and got no response. I asked again and then tapped my mic to make sure it was working and then did quick head check and saw her head slumped over. 🤣
I just chuckled and left her alone.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
We had only one bike with an intercom system on it and it was worthless over 60 MPH. I think she only fell asleep when we were on an interstate or other 4 lane highway. She has not rode with me for years now and sometimes I miss that.

She stopped riding long distance with me when she started having a problem with her ankles swelling. Short rides were okay, but then she just kind of quit altogether. Sometimes I miss having her riding along with me.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
573 Posts
We had only one bike with an intercom system on it and it was worthless over 60 MPH. I think she only fell asleep when we were on an interstate or other 4 lane highway. She has not rode with me for years now and sometimes I miss that.

She stopped riding long distance with me when she started having a problem with her ankles swelling. Short rides were okay, but then she just kind of quit altogether. Sometimes I miss having her riding along with me.
I can’t imagine not sharing riding time with my wife. Been married 35 years and she’s always enjoyed going. That is unless it’s “guys time”, then she just says “have a nice time!”.

·
28,624 Posts
I would know when my wife fell asleep when her helmet hit mine. I had to ride like that until she woke up. Usually about 45 minutes later as I/we got into heavier commute traffic.

Reactions: ChiefGunner

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Some years back, my wife decided she would take a short ride with me to town for something or another. We were on a busy 4 lane road in the right lane when I started to pass a mini van in the left lane. It was at that moment that the driver of the mini van decided to change lanes.

It was no big deal because when you're riding in traffic, you look out for these things to happen as a matter of self preservation. I just hit the brake, slowed down and let the mini van have the spot. But oh boy, did it set my wife off! Thinking back on it now, its kind of funny. She was yelling at the mini van driver, waving her arms all about and pointing her fingers at the mini van so the whole world knew she was unhappy.

Now its just one of those memories I keep to myself. I'm not going to bring it up to her this evening when she gets off work saying "Hey Honey, do you remember when...". There were a lot more, happier memories with her with me traveling somewhere on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
Rider only for now
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am so glad so many have said so many responses. I laughed about the passenger being like a sack of potatoes. However, I was really surprised anyone could be asleep on the back of the motorcycle. Flipflop says he would throw me off if I ever fell asleep [our bike is not a luxury liner].

I look forward to reading more!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,421 Posts
I am so glad so many have said so many responses. I laughed about the passenger being like a sack of potatoes. However, I was really surprised anyone could be asleep on the back of the motorcycle. Flipflop says he would throw me off if I ever fell asleep [our bike is not a luxury liner].

I look forward to reading more!:bigthumb:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Helmet Asphalt

·
28,624 Posts
I really wish someone had got pictures of my wife sleeping back there. It really takes bikes with wrap around pads from a trunk or tour pack. Usually where they put speakers these days. I doubt anyone falls asleep on a sport bike. It takes the big touring bikes I think. That's what I had anyway. Big old Harley Electra Glide. She was riding her own bike by the time I got my BMW K100LT so I have no idea if she would have fallen asleep on it as she was never a passenger. I bet she would have but maybe not stay asleep for the whole commute. Just my guess though.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
The wife didn't ride with me a lot on my 1100 Kawasaki Ninja, but I don't think she ever fell asleep on it. When she did ride with me on the Ninja, I really tried to keep the ride more comfortable for her whenever corners appeared in the road, but she still gave my lower ribs a workout.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.