Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the classic story. Old brown tarp in the corner of an old barn covering a 1987 Honda 450 Rebel. Definitely some aging, rust, pitting but the frame, motor carb all looked solid enough. No fuel tank so I fashioned one out of some garage scraps. 20 minutes and the bike was idling in my garage.
So now I want to restore her but it turns out parts are not readily available. Any recommendations where I could find after market or original parts for sale?:

·
Registered
73 Posts
That was a very common bike in the 80's Try ebay. When I searched for stuff for my Radian, there was a ton of stuff on there. Gotta be more for the Rebel, that was THE inexpensive cruiser of the 80's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rebel Parts

Thanks for the reply

Yes I have been on ebay. Actually the rebel 450 was only manufactured in 86-87 and parts are not that common. I have searched high and low for a fuel tank with no luck. Of course I can fashion something like an old sporty tank but I really want to go original. I was bopping to find that Honda junk yard haven.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I assumed wrong then, because back in the day, that bike was all over the place, I think they made a 250 as well. Next thing is to start seaching actual junkyards. Find motorcycle junkyards on the net, then call them by phone and ask. Original is always going to look best. You just have to keep looking. Also, have to searched to see if there is a Rebel specific forum or a yahoo group. Getting a few guys together that know that specific bike is much better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think the thing to find out now is how much common parts are there between the 250 and 450. I see tons of 250 tanks on ebay, they look the same to me, you have to research and cross reference part numbers. So easy to do in this day and age. Imagine having to do this and find parts for 60's and 70's bikes in the 80's with no internet. The web is the greatest invention in my lifetime. Had added so much ease and enjoyment to so many things I do from work to play.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are indeed two Honda Rebel forums. The guys there are very knowledgeable. Just Google it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts