Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out how easy it to source parts for an older yamaha XT500 DOHC here in the united states. The bikes in non-running condition, but from pics, looks like it is pretty complete. This is my first bike restoration project (in this country) and I am not sure which are the popular bikes that are eary to source parts for. Also, any pointers to places where to get parts, where to shop for motorbikes(other than CL, FB marketplace and ebay) would help.

TIA
A

·
Vintage Rider
428 Posts
Yamaha dealers have a parts locator system that checks a network of dealers. You’d be surprised what turns up at some dearships throughout the Midwest. Best part of it is that it’s about half the cost of Ebay.

·
Zip
2,604 Posts
Here's a thread that just popped up to the top that you might find useful:

·
Registered
775 Posts
does any one know what is the last set of bikes in teh usa which came with carb engines, not EFI?
Bikes are still being legally sold in the USA with carburetors in 2020. These are going to be mainly small capacity machines, like this Yamaha TW200: 2020 Yamaha TW200 Dual Sport Motorcycle - Specs, Prices

Because emissions standards are an absolute amount per vehicle mile, and not related to the weight of the machine or size of the engine, it's apparently not that difficult to pass current US standards with a carburetor and a small enough engine.

Up until Euro 4 went into effect, ( and I believe current USA emmissions standards are less rigorous, more akin to Euro 3), Jawa CZ was able to meet emissions standards with their 350 ST which not only has a carburetor, but is a 2 STROKE! JAWA 350 2T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bikes are still being legally sold in the USA with carburetors in 2020. These are going to be mainly small capacity machines, like this Yamaha TW200: 2020 Yamaha TW200 Dual Sport Motorcycle - Specs, Prices

Because emissions standards are an absolute amount per vehicle mile, and not related to the weight of the machine or size of the engine, it's apparently not that difficult to pass current US standards with a carburetor and a small enough engine.

Up until Euro 4 went into effect, ( and I believe current USA emmissions standards are less rigorous, more akin to Euro 3), Jawa CZ was able to meet emissions standards with their 350 ST which not only has a carburetor, but is a 2 STROKE! JAWA 350 2T
I see. I am surprised that USA still follows E3, in come some countries they have moved to Euro6. Also I am surprised that Jawa is available here, I am a big jawa (and Yezdi) fan, but the older models, not these new ones.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am a big jawa (and Yezdi) fan, but the older models, not these new ones.
If you are a fan of the old Jawas, you might enjoy having a look at the machine that is coming out of India these days. It looks very much like the Czech made Jawa from the mid 1950s. But these machines are made by a subsidiary of Mahindra, who has licensed the Jawa name for use only in the India market. Despite the twin exhaust pipes and the deeply retro styling, this is a 4 stroke, DOHC, water cooled single. Jawa Motorcycles | Book a Jawa Now

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If you are a fan of the old Jawas, you might enjoy having a look at the machine that is coming out of India these days. It looks very much like the Czech made Jawa from the mid 1950s. But these machines are made by a subsidiary of Mahindra, who has licensed the Jawa name for use only in the India market. Despite the twin exhaust pipes and the deeply retro styling, this is a 4 stroke, DOHC, water cooled single. Jawa Motorcycles | Book a Jawa Now
Yep, I follow them, have ridden one when I was in India last year, they are just a style copy, the actual morotcycle is modern. And it sucks. The dealer I visited had the original one on display, and I requested him to start it for me(he wouldn't allow me), and the guy had no clue, I tought him how to prime the engine (if the TDC isnt right it kicks like a mule), and eventually he allowed me to start it. There were a few other bikers that day, and all came to listen to the original one hum up with the sexy sound it made, the new ones sounded bad to them too. Eventually the sames guy asked me if I was interested in teh new Jawa, I said, will you let me buy the old one, I am willing to pay you more for it, he didnt want to :)

EDIT : Google is amazing, I found the photo of the exact motorcycle I started, in the dealer i went to:

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
615 Posts
Dude, I just looked. Half a dozen forums on that bike.

Half the fun is tracking stuff down and meeting people.

EBay is your friend.

Caution tho. A full resto, you at least need a garage or shop. Tools. The ability to paint. If you’re gonna be knocking down motors that’s a whole thing in itself. Parts cleaner, Air compressor, a spray guy if you’re gonna paint. Buffing wheels.
And then the knowledge, or patience to learn.
It sounds like fun, and if you have the time and money can be.

But often my friend, the dream and reality take different paths.

Good luck on that endeavor,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.