Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I stopped at Mc'd's for a quick bite to eat. I pulled into a spot which would allow me to pull right back out and not have to back up and such. I pulled more to the front of the spot. Maybe that was a mistake. But I was the only vehicle in that part of the lot. Would you believe some lady pulled into that spot and almost hit me and my bike? I'm like, hello? 85 spots around me and you have to try to pull into the spot where my bike is? I went off on her, I kind of feel bad now, but I was like How the h e double hockey sticks could you not see me? She was on her phone....

So I have to ask, in parking lots, is there a certain place you prefer to park and do you park more at the end of the spot or the front? At work, I prefer to park on the sidewalk when I do bring my bike to work. Third shift, no one gonna be using it....

·
American Legion Rider
18,577 Posts
If I'm the only bike I park with the end of my bike even with the tail of the cars at end of the spot not all the way in. They can see you better.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Just like with my car, I like to park at the END of a row of spaces, so only one side is an available space.. 1 less potential door ding :D

With my bike I try to center it in the area of the space.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I park in the closest Handicap spot (yes I have the plate for it also) but I leave the bike parked out near the back of the space (as you pull into it) but since I'm usually out at night I don't have that many problems (thankfully)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I walk my bike in backwards into an angle park so I can ride out easily, and park it in the centre of the space with it's front wheel out close to the road so anyone thinking of turning into that "empty" spot will see it earlier.

When parking in a parallel park I back it in as well, and try to get it as perpendicular to the road as possible and right in the middle of the parking space - I pay registration fees so I'm entitled to a whole parking space.

The best is when you can ride into the parking space behind and right through to the space in front, that way you can ride right out and don't have to walk your bike backwards. I park as far forward as possible so the bike is visible.

In this town where I live, it's close to the coal mines in the state, and the angle parking is all reverse in (that's the standard on the mines where you back up against a ridge to stop you rolling away if your parking brake fails. That makes a bike parked well forward in the parking space even more visible to oncoming traffic.

But, some people just don't look/can't see. It's handy that my white Honda ST1100 looks like a Police bike, people take a second look.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I think you showed restraint by not smacking the phone out of her hand

If I'm the only bike I park with the end of my bike even with the tail of the cars at end of the spot not all the way in. They can see you better.
Ditto -- I have found that the danger exists when car drivers start to swing into a space they think is empty. Just park where they MUST know the space is already occupied.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Anytime I'm in a parking lot, I immediately go to where the handicap spots are. I then fit my bike between the first handicap spot and the barrier. I've been doing it for years and have not got a ticket yet...(knock on wood)
The boys in blue really don't ticket bikes to much. Even with parking meters. I fit my bike between the cars.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The stripped off areas next to handicap parking spaces are there to allow wheelchair access. While the majority of those with handicap plates might not need the extra space, the ones who use a wheelchair and especially a wheelchair ramp really need those areas to be clear. Life is hard enough for those folks, we should give them a break.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Anytime I'm in a parking lot, I immediately go to where the handicap spots are. I then fit my bike between the first handicap spot and the barrier. I've been doing it for years and have not got a ticket yet...(knock on wood)
The boys in blue really don't ticket bikes to much. Even with parking meters. I fit my bike between the cars.
That will danged sure get you a ticket in Texas!:mad:

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
A few years back (10 or so) I watched a van pull into a handicap space and there was a bike parked in the stripped area, the guy looked at it, shrugged and dropped the ramp on the bike...several times, then called the cops....the guy on the bike got the ticket, the handicapped guy...nothing, now the area between the polls that are stripped at the end of the row (where it will not affect a ramp) I parked in a few of those, back before getting my handicapped tags

·
6,496 Posts
The most DANGEROUS place in my town is the Walmart parking lot, according to our local Police dept.

My town of approx. 15,000 people plus a few thousand-ah-immigrants that don't show up on the census, has very few traffic collisions, except in parking lots.

Apparently drivers have sensory overload problems when looking forward, right, left and backwards and being able to pull in the middle of a parking space.

Most also speed in very close quarters but then there are the little ol' ladies and men who take 10 tries to park in front of a Dollar General.

Be very careful where you park in the killing fields of parking lots!

In 2011, I had a brand new Suzuki C109R, the flagship 1800cc cruiser in their line and I parked in my usual parking space, about 50 feet from the front door of my Electronics and IT business, in a small mini mall of about 20 acres. I was talking to a customer and we heard a crash noise and he looks out the front and says: "Would you look at that, a truck with a large trailer just run over that motorcycle in the lot!"

Long story short, the driver cut a corner to sharp and just rolled over my bike. Needless to say, I was shocked!!!

He was cited and didn't even have a valid drivers license.

The insurance company totaled the bike and actually paid me more than I had originally paid.

Be careful where you park!

Sam:)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just couldn't believe it, sitting in an empty parking lot and still not being safe...

Thanks for all the tips, I'll take all the advise except the ole handicap spot. I agree, those shaded areas are meant for handicap access. Truly never understand what they have to go through. I never fully understood till the summer my son spent in a wheelchair. Then you begin to understand just how hard it is to get around. Even grocery shopping is hard. No one will lift a finger to help you push a chair and a shopping cart...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I actually don't have a a particular section where I park my bike. I do try to stay away from having to pull out in between cars though, but that is not always an option. Now in my car, I try to park next to or near a shopping cart cage AWAY from the store. I love to walk plus I more likely to find one of the smaller shopping carts in one of those cages, and not in the store. Plus I got tired of people parking next to me swinging their doors open and hitting my car, and then acting like they don't know anything about it. (Same color paint of their car is now on mine) On an added note, with most of the jobs I've had I always park farthest away from the building because no one else would. There would be tons of empty spaces around me. As soon as someone sees my car they not only park in the same are, but RIGHT NEXT TO ME in the same area. One person even started arriving to work earlier than me and took my spot! Sorry for the rant, but when I read your post it brought out some memories of times I'd like to strangle people.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't park in the parking lot in a car space, I park my bike on the sidewalk. Most parking is paid here (and expensive), bikes don't pay if they're not in the parking lot. In the street, bikes aren't even allowed to use a designated parking space for cars.

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
Parking

Big city with pay parking. In the middle where it is easy to see.
On my Island with free parking. In the V sections where a car will not fit. That leaves a parking space free for granny types.
Anywhere else I look for areas where a car will not fit.
If I am having a beer or two, I park so I can exit the easiest way.

Unkle Crusty

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
OP ... "she was on her phone"

say no more.
In other words - she was a "phone moron".
similar to a "texting moron".

This is recognized as a serious way for people to degrade their thinking skills and their awareness. NO JOKE. and its something that the MC community is well aware about - and p*ssed off about. People do STUPID things when they are driving and using their phones at the same time.

I dont have a problem with what you did.
Next time, park well away from the close spots at the front of the fast food store ... that might help :)

dT

1 - 20 of 27 Posts