Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A motorcycle mechanic told me this morning, that leaving the bike in gear causes the transmission springs to wear out prematurely.

Is this a generally accepted idea, or one that is controversial or just untrue?

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
A motorcycle mechanic told me this morning, that leaving the bike in gear causes the transmission springs to wear out prematurely.

Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Your bike spends 99% of its time in gear while on the road...its MEANT to be in gear. The alternative to parking it in gear: Having it roll off the kickstand and fall over. Yeah, I'll park mine in gear, thanks. And honestly, something else will likely fail before those springs will...

·
10,757 Posts
I park my bikes and my stick shift car in gear. I do not want any of them rollong away. The transmission in my car is 40 years old and still seems to be Ok with my abuse.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Meadow, I would give strong consideration to NOT letting that mechanic work on your bike.

And WHAT transmission springs is he talking about? It REALLY sounds like he has no clue. Does he mean the clutch springs?

·
2,827 Posts
New Biker: My transition shifts hard.

Old Mech: Oh, that’s not good.

NB: Ya, it’s really hard to get into first, especially when the motor is not running

OM: What? You don’t leave it in gear when you park do you? Oh, that there’s your problem. I’ll hafta tear the whole thing apart and replace those tranny springs.

NB: Gee, how much is that?

OM: Can’t say, I charge by the hour. But figure 5 or 6 hundred bucks.

NB: Will it fix it?

OM: MAYBE, If it don’t just bring it back and I replace the Johnson rod slide at cost.

·
9,210 Posts
Ok, maybe the "mechanic" is not so dumb... but just a crafty, swindling, theif od an SOB.

·
9,210 Posts
The only other spring I could think of would be the return spring for the shift linkage.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
It still amazes me at the malarkey so called professional mechanics tell their customers. There is nothing to be hurt leaving the bike in gear while parked. There are no springs inside the transmission that can be damaged from this. If he was somehow referring to the clutch springs, well, neutral or in gear the springs are in the same position unless you are pulling in the clutch level.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Maybe he just has a sense of humour and assumes you do too?
I used to screw around with people once in a while. I remember one time a young guy came in looking for a jacket and wanted to know what a good fit is. He was doing calisthenics and deep knee bends by the time we got done with him. When he finally started to get suspicious, the whole place burst into laughter.

I mean, he couldn't have been serious, could he?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It still amazes me at the malarkey so called professional mechanics tell their customers. There is nothing to be hurt leaving the bike in gear while parked. There are no springs inside the transmission that can be damaged from this. If he was somehow referring to the clutch springs, well, neutral or in gear the springs are in the same position unless you are pulling in the clutch level.
Exactly!! Excessive shifting would wear out the springs faster than anything else, LOL.

·
Certified Homeless Biker
2,555 Posts
I park my truck in gear but my bike in neutral, and they're normally on level ground. My logic? The bike will fall down if it rolls, but the truck will not :)

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I've never heard of any damage being done by leaving the bike in gear while parked. I leave mine in neutral while parked out of habit, but it really shouldn't matter at all.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Maybe he just has a sense of humour and assumes you do too?
I used to screw around with people once in a while. I remember one time a young guy came in looking for a jacket and wanted to know what a good fit is. He was doing calisthenics and deep knee bends by the time we got done with him. When he finally started to get suspicious, the whole place burst into laughter.

I mean, he couldn't have been serious, could he?
Did he buy the jacket?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just to be safe... I think I'll ride around in 1st gear this summer, in hopes of NOT prematurely wearing out my tranny springs.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It still amazes me at the malarkey so called professional mechanics tell their customers. There is nothing to be hurt leaving the bike in gear while parked. There are no springs inside the transmission that can be damaged from this. If he was somehow referring to the clutch springs, well, neutral or in gear the springs are in the same position unless you are pulling in the clutch lever.
+100
For the life of me I could not figure out what springs he was talking about.
In my garage I park in neutral but at work or elsewhere, where it might be on an incline or the possibility of some clown messing with it I will park it in first gear.

·
Maximum Potentate
76 Posts

While I agree with the others who debunk that allegation, I always park my bikes in neutral. How many times have I experienced a bike "rolling off the sidestand"? Absolutely zero times. Why? Because I use a little common sense where I park.
If there's absolutely no option to leaving it on a significant incline, I MIGHT consider parking it in gear, but that's the exceptional situation. I can normally find parking places level enough not to pose any problems.

I like to let my bikes warm up a minute or two before I ride off. Most modern bikes have start lock-outs that prevent starting if the bike is in gear. I simply don't enjoy futzing around with the clutch or whatever to get things configured so I can start the engine, and it's going to have to get into neutral anyway for warmup. Why volunteer for all that foolishness when I can just turn on the ignition and start it?

I'm equally amused by the people who think the only way to turn off the bike is to first turn the "kill switch" off. Why bother, when all it does is add another step to everything. The ignition key does it all. Forget the "kill switch".

1 - 20 of 42 Posts