Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motorcycle - Yamaha VStar 650 - has an integrated helmet lock in the rear fender to lock the helmet when parking in public places. Recently, I have noticed riders placing their helmets on the right handle bar, accelerator. The helmet sits nicely in an upright position, is that by choice or do those bikes have the helmet lock on the right side handle bar?.

·
American Legion Rider
21,789 Posts
It's just a convenient place to put it, unlocked.(y) (y) (y)

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
501 Posts
I used to assume no one would want an a stinky old helmet full of my sweat. Then someone on this very forum posted about the joys of smelly, used helmets. Now the helmet goes in the top box.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've never had a helmet stolen and I hardly ever secure it with a lock or anything. I've got one helmet now I can't bring myself to throw it away, but if someone were to steal it, it wouldn't hurt my feelings very much.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Depending on where I'm parking, I'll either lock the helmet to the bike or hang it on an S carabiner attached to my right pannier (opposite side from the exhaust pipe). Should mine get stolen I wouldn't mind buying another one, but I would really mind not having a helmet to wear for my ride home.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
On my Island the helmet sits on the RH mirror. In the big cities it goes in the top box, or it goes with me. I rarely if ever use the locking device.

UK

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
If it's 12:30 on a Sunday afternoon at a Cracker Barrel, and its a bunch of old people (like me) in suits and dresses (not like me), and nicely dressed little kids, that is a lot different than a Friday afternoon at McDonalds with a bunch of kids standing around showing off their underwear, smoking and drinking out of paper sacks.

It makes a difference in what I do with my helmet, or if I even stay for lunch or supper. If there's a bunch of motorcycles in the parking lot, well, so far I've never had a problem leaving my helmet on the seat or mirror. It might be a mistake, and I may regret it some day, but so far, no problem.

·
American Legion Rider
21,789 Posts
If it's 12:30 on a Sunday afternoon at a Cracker Barrel, and its a bunch of old people (like me) in suits and dresses (not like me), and nicely dressed little kids, that is a lot different than a Friday afternoon at McDonalds with a bunch of kids standing around showing off their underwear, smoking and drinking out of paper sacks.

It makes a difference in what I do with my helmet, or if I even stay for lunch or supper. If there's a bunch of motorcycles in the parking lot, well, so far I've never had a problem leaving my helmet on the seat or mirror. It might be a mistake, and I may regret it some day, but so far, no problem.
Yeah, you're pushing it. Those good old days where people respected you are your property are gone. Unfortunately. I don't know where all the creeps came from but they are certainly here now. Lock it up or put it out of sight is the best way now.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
They've always been around, now they just don't fear the law like criminals should.

There was a former white house occupant that started a war on the police and he wasn't impeached like he should have been.

·
American Legion Rider
21,789 Posts
Yeah, a blatant traitor but because of certain conditions he gets a free pass. BS !!!

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I usually don't lock my helmet. Unless I'm at where suspicious characters congregate. Home Depot and Walmart come to mind.
One time at Home depot someone put a wad of gum in my helmet.

·
American Legion Rider
21,789 Posts
One of my riding buddies puts his helmet on his right road peg with it's
opening pointed up. I keep telling that one of these days someone is
going to pee in that thing. And those two places are candidates for where
it will happen if it does.

·
Ace Tuner
2,504 Posts
Doing a 3000 mile road trip I had to learn the hard way when I left my tank bag (unlocked) on the bike at one of those places that should be safe.
It wasn't.
Tank bag, eye glasses, cold weather jacket liner, cell phone and more GONE in 30 seconds.
That'll learn ya.
I lock everything, every time now...

S F

·
Ace Tuner
2,504 Posts
They've always been around, now they just don't fear the law like criminals should.
There was a former white house occupant that started a war on the police and he wasn't impeached like he should have been.
Yeah, a blatant traitor but because of certain conditions he gets a free pass. BS !!!
It's not only the police he started a war on. But that is the worst of it for sure.
At least he was not a collude 'er... o_O ... Yeah Right !

S F

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
There's 4 Wal-Mart stores that I can go to, not including Neighborhood Markets. If I'm on the bike, there's 2 stores I can go to and not have to worry too much about my bike and helmet. The other 2 stores I don't go to unless I'm in the car or truck, which gets locked up.

I don't usually ride to Lowe's or Home Depot because, even if I just want to get a small item, too often I see something else I want, that I'm not comfortable carrying on the bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wouldn't mind buying another one, but I would really mind not having a helmet to wear for my ride home.
I would mind buying another one, a new Shoei or another Snell-rated one ain't cheap. But I think riding home without would be the harder part. I almost wouldn't know how.
I never assume anything is immune from being stolen. Some will just take anything just because it's there. Sometimes I'll just leave the helmet hanging on the handlebar, but if I have any doubts I run a pretty serious cable lock through the face hole and through the forks or something. Nothing lives in the tank bag or saddlebags that I can't afford to replace.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Never had a helmet stolen, but have had 4 or 5 pairs of sunglasses lifted off the bike.
One hot ticket item

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I buy the tinted, wrap around safety glasses at Harbor Freight. If they get scratched, toss them in the trash, there is a new pair in the saddle bags. They're only a couple bucks and they're not polarized so I don't get "rainbows" looking through my windshield.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts