Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there no rules for motorcycle parking, or what? In the last three days I've seen multiple bikes parked up on sidewalks in front of the mall entrances and in painted islands in parking lots.. what exactly is wrong with parking in a parking space??

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I was parked in a parking spot, all my my lonesome, not another car, bike or anything else. I still almost got hit by some clueless twit who didn't see my bike. So, if there's a safe spot somewhere where I don't have to worry about someone coming along and hitting me or my bike, I'm taking it. I won't ever put it in someones way, or take a handicapped spot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was parked in a parking spot, all my my lonesome, not another car, bike or anything else. I still almost got hit by some clueless twit who didn't see my bike. So, if there's a safe spot somewhere where I don't have to worry about someone coming along and hitting me or my bike, I'm taking it. I won't ever put it in someones way, or take a handicapped spot.
I could say the same thing about being in a car.. but that doesn't mean I get to drive up on the sidewalk, lol.

·
7,502 Posts
My retail Electronics/ computer and IT business is about a half mile from a huge Walmart monstrosity and I, being a very safe and cautious rider/ driver, shiver when I have to drive around in their maybe 30 acre parking lot!!!!! My eye-balls hurt in a few minutes from looking right and left and up and down, just to stay alive or not to be hit by someone not paying attention. Ther are more accidents in their parking lot than on the streets of my town.

In my Mini-mall, 20 acre parking lot in the last 10 years that we have had a business there, I have had one new 2003 and one 2010 Ram Pickup and one 2010 Chrysler Caravan, parked, hit by brain dead shoppers, requiring thousands of dollars in repairs. In 2012, my new Suzuki C109R, 1800cc, cruiser was totaled in the same area, when a semi that turned a corner to short just ran over it!

Now, back to parking: Normally, City law dictates parking of all motor vehicles and what is allowed and what is not but it all depends on common practice and whether the law is enforced. In my city a person can just about get away with parking anywhere and not get a ticket.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
I think law enforcement has to receive a complaint before they'll even look don't they. And even then it's private property so exactly what law would they write a ticket for? Being a devils advocate more than anything here cause I honestly don't know what parking lot laws are. I personally thought it was just private property so it's park at your own risk kind of thing.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Near me it depends, at some stores I park near the bike rack (without blocking foot traffic) the employees do too. Other stores if there isn't a safe place that isn't in the way then I'll use a regular parking spot.
Too often though people are dain bramaged in parking lots. My buddies bike was hit a few years ago while we were in a store. His was at the open end of the space, I was on the inside. We figure someone saw an "open spot" between trucks and shot in too fast. Of course they didn't hang around after to offer up any paperwork. I was almost hit while still on mine yesterday putting my helmet on.
So yep- if I have the opportunity, I will park next to the building. Generally people don't mind much if it isn't in the way and they have a chance to look at the bikes close up. As was stated above the police don't mind if the store doesn't. Again though, it depends on where I am, I'm not going to be rude with it either.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Parking lot and store owners, and the tow companies they hire, can be down right predatory. Dallas and New Orleans have been in the news numerous times for it. Parking outside of a parking space is a risk of getting towed.

What we can do is park diagonal in the front part of the space where our bikes are visible right away. Not parallel with the side lines. That invites sharing. Not in the back where a car may have to pull in to see it. Parking with the front facing out helps from getting hit while leaving since we won't be backing out.

We can also try to get a spot next to a tree, some landscaped area, light pole or shopping cart corral. Anything that limits how close someone else can park to us.

Some places have motorcycle parking or allow bikes to park in the striped ends. Those stripped ends are a little risky though. I've seen people cut corners and drive through them.

I don't mind though if a bike shares my spot, so long as I can still get out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most people around where I live hate bikes parking in normal spaces because "it is not a car and those are for cars". Sometimes parking in weird places is worth the avoided hassle. I think it is up to the business's discretion where you can park. My work has no problem letting me park on the sidewalk next to the door but it is mainly because we are running out of parking spaces.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Are there no rules for motorcycle parking, or what? In the last three days I've seen multiple bikes parked up on sidewalks in front of the mall entrances and in painted islands in parking lots.. what exactly is wrong with parking in a parking space??
That depends on where you live. Here, all parking spots are paid, and you're not allowed to park your bike there. Parking your bike on the sidewalk is ok, and free.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I think law enforcement has to receive a complaint before they'll even look don't they. And even then it's private property so exactly what law would they write a ticket for? Being a devils advocate more than anything here cause I honestly don't know what parking lot laws are. I personally thought it was just private property so it's park at your own risk kind of thing.
Don't count on it. My 28 year old pregnant niece parked my dad's handicapped parking cage in a handicapped spot. When she came out of the store and was getting ready to return to my dad's home she encountered a cop who challenged her privilege of using that handicapped spot. She ended up having to pay a substantial fine.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,844 Posts
Oldman I believe that is the law and most states. The handicap plackard is for the person not the vehicle. If that person isn't in the vehicle you can't use the spot.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Don't count on it. My 28 year old pregnant niece parked my dad's handicapped parking cage in a handicapped spot. When she came out of the store and was getting ready to return to my dad's home she encountered a cop who challenged her privilege of using that handicapped spot. She ended up having to pay a substantial fine.
And of course a complaint could not have already been on file. Just another cop gone rouge. So private property doesn't enter into the question. Okay.:confused:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
With regard to parking in Parking Lots and their "Private Property" status.........

I have personally (not on a bike, but in a 4-wheel vehicle) been in a situation where I had no recourse with the Police, in a Parking Lot fender bender. I'd assume that the same "we have no jurisdiction here" comment would be heard by me, if I was on a motorcycle, as well.

Yes, Insurance will get involved (assuming you have done the responsible thing and HAVE "Insurance") and pay the claim.

I'd assume that the Police MIGHT get involved however, if you were parked "illegally" and the place of business complained about where you parked.

I've even seen bikes crowd in on other bikes, in parking lots. I expect that bikes may tend to congregate together in one space, but I'd expect that other bike to not block me, or otherwise interfere with my ability to get out of that space.

-Soupy

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
I guess it all comes down to local ordinance/law, and/or the property owners discretion if it is allowed. If it is, then it depends on how you feel about it.
If I'm travelling, I wouldn't unless I knew if it was allowed there of course, but here I will when and where I can.

Bines: We were parked as you stated, diagonally with his bike toward the end. Two trucks had parked on either side of us (one a 4 door longbed) so we still couldn't be seen. I'm sure whatever idiot hit him would've hit a car too, but the bike didn't fare as well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
:)

As she should have, pregnancy is not a disability, and the placard/tag is for the person and not the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
my bike was parked in an open parking area a few months ago. perfect weather, excellent visibility - but someone still hit it. Even though there were only two cars in the whole parking lot !!!!

The bottom line is that MC riders just DON'T trust drivers of automobiles. And you can't blame them.

I think the managers for shopping malls tolerate this type of MC parking (bikes on sidewalks) because it keeps designated parking spots ... free for cars.

So DON'T do anything outrageous with your bike, and keep the system going the way that it is. That's my suggestion.

dT

·
Registered
473 Posts
I believe you can get hit with parking infractions in a private lot if they are infractions against legal ordinances (fire lanes, handicap parking). But if a property owner really wants to be an a-hole they can get you towed for parking in end caps or other places you aren't supposed to park.

And like most of you, I also had a friend whose 3-week old bike was run over because a driver backed into a space and didn't see his bike.

The other thing is visibility of your bike. If you park away from the store there's a better chance of someone going through your stuff or actually trying to steal your bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts