Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Roamer
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I see motorcycles parked on a sidewalk up next to a building, like a restaurant or grocery store. They are generally not in anyone's way in terms of walking path or building access. I typically park in a parking spot like a car. However, sometimes I do feel bad taking up a whole parking spot at crowded parking lots or alongside a packed street.

What's your opinion on, or experience with, parking in "non-traditional" places?

I would love to be considerate of my fellow community members, but I also don't want to get a parking ticket. :biggrin:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It's a little different around here, as this is a very motorcycle friendly community, and there are many places where bikes are expected to park in non-traditional places. Heck, we even have bars that you can ride your bike in to.

You should still be considerate though, and not just park any old place you want to.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I really don't like parking in parking spots, because half the time they won't see the bike, they see what they think is an empty spot and come to a screetching halt when they realize that there's something in there. I've gone to the point of parking in a carraige corral at the very end of the lot, cause society is too lazy to walk their carraige to the end of the lot. The library has a bike rack for ten speeds and stuff, well, hee hee, it doesn't specify whether or not it has to have a motor, so I'll park in it. I park on the sidewalk at my work, cause I'm the boss, and I get final say..hee hee hee

·
Registered
804 Posts
I park wherever it feels right at a given location. By right, I mean putting the bike somewhere where others won't hit/touch it and it won't be in others' way.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, if you have a license on the bike you paid your parking fee. But park at the rear of the spot instead of the front so no one gets surprised. Stay just a little off center so another bike can get in if they want to risk being the one that causes a surprise when you leave. And I do me just a little off center. With the bike leaning over you are not "hogging" the space. So someone with a quick in and out can still use it if you get what I'm suggesting. But that's me. I don't park in non designated parking.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I park in the Wamalart seasonal area when there's nothing there.

The one outside, not inside.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Without going into too much detail, for me it depends on where I am at the time. Sometimes I'll park on sidewalk (out of the way of course) and sometimes in a parking space.
There are many shops/store owners in the area that prefer to have motorcycles parked against the building and not in the lot. Often there are employees bikes parked there too.
Talking to a local store owner about it a few years ago, he said the only complaints he ever had about it were from people from out of state. Again...it all comes down to where and when.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I park in the Wamalart seasonal area when there's nothing there.

The one outside, not inside.
I try to avoid Walmalart as best I can.:p

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
I try to avoid Walmalart as best I can.:p
Well when you are the greeter at the door you have to be there. At least they provide him with parking.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Around here, at any big stores or the mall, you're likely to find your bike has been knocked over by some dickhead driving a car if you park in a vehicle spot. A lot of places have bike parking now days, and if not, Ill park on a turn island or up close to the building but out of everybody's way.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I went for a hair cut and parked in the lot across the street, went inside and the barber told me park on the side walk in front of the shop. They are a MC friendly establishment.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

On a street, I back into a parallel space in the middle so no cage will try to squeeze in. If I have to park anywhere in a diagonal space, I stay out where the bike can be seen. Most stores in mall type areas have lots of hash marked spaces too small for cages, so I park there.

--

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Sometimes in a conventional spot. Usually slightly diagonal to be visible..

Often right next to the door of a large store where you might park a bicycle..

At the train station bikes park in all kinds of spots not designated for parking as in my avatar pic taken at the train station...

And on the side of the road diagonally bike style with the rear tire up against the curb...

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I park in designated spots, nearer the front of it, and in the middle of it.

Although, on occasion, depending on the circumstance, I will park in more unorthodox ways, within limits.

I figure, "hey, I'm no different than anyone else who drove here today; except for the type of transport I chose. I have to abide by the same rules."

So far as "I" know, unless there are designated spots for two-wheel vehicles (or three), I have to comply to normal standard vehicular regulations.

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I almost always park in a parking spot. I do not pull forward enough to be close to the car in front of me but try to get my trunk about even with the back of the cars on either side of me.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I don't park in regular spots any more. some cages are blind as a bat and would sink the Titanic if they had a chance. if I choose a regular spot ... it has to be 5 million miles away from all the other cars.

I will take any "other" opportunity in a heartbeat. sometimes the corner spots in a parking garage where a car won't fit. or up on the sidewalk - YES!!! but out-of-the-way, so my bike is not a tripping hazard.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Here it is common for bikes to park on the end, on the yellow stripes, but not in the way of a hdcp spot.

Depending on the store, up on the concrete near the building, again, not in anyone's way.

Nobody bats an eye.... very common practices.

·
Registered
943 Posts
In this part of the country bikes are regarded as 'motor vehicles' just like cars and parking anywhere else runs the risk of being towed away. If there is another bike in a parking space and there is room to share it without crowding him, I'll pull in to the same spot. I always park far enough out that a car can see the space is occupied before they start to pull in.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Sometimes I see motorcycles parked on a sidewalk up next to a building, like a restaurant or grocery store. They are generally not in anyone's way in terms of walking path or building access. I typically park in a parking spot like a car. However, sometimes I do feel bad taking up a whole parking spot at crowded parking lots or alongside a packed street.

What's your opinion on, or experience with, parking in "non-traditional" places?

I would love to be considerate of my fellow community members, but I also don't want to get a parking ticket. :biggrin:
My opinion is that a bike is a vehicle. It parks where vehicles park. I feel no shame or guilt in parking my bike in a "whole parking spot", because if I wasn't on the bike, I'd STILL use that spot, so nothing changes, except the size of the machine occupying it.

Now, if the place offers a designated motorcycle parking area ( my place of business does ), then I will opt to use that, as a courtesy. But otherwise, any open spot is fair game, regardless of how many wheels I'm rollin'.

Although, as someone else pointed out, I always park toward the back of the spot, so my bike is visible to anyone looking for a space, and they know it's occupied.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts