Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a new member to this community. Just got a 2008 Suzuki GS500F on Wednesday and dropped it once on Wednesday:( and twice on Thursday morning:eek: and I hated myself for that :(. All these drops happened in my apartment parking lot. My apartment is on an uphill and my parking lot is on totally uneven ground. I am 5'5 and I am just able to tip-toe on this bike and it is impossible to hold the bike once it bends over too far on either side (considering the fact that I am a woman).

I broke my clutch lever and a bit of my bike's flare. But a colleague of mine helped me fix it (thank god!). I was thinking of lowering the height of the bike. The seat doesn't have much cushion..so the only way to do it is to lower the suspensions. Or I could try and buy some flat heeled boots (with about 2-inch heels). I wish I could just extend my legs.. but that's not an option. Any advice or tips on handling the motorcycle in situations like this will be appreciated. I have taken the MSF course and I have no problem once the motorcycle is moving... it's when its not moving is my BIG PROBLEM!!!

Thanks!!

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I'd avoid getting boots with too high a heel. I've heard that they can dramatically affect the feel of the controls. Probably the best option you'd have would be to get the bike lowered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh but its a new baby and i don't want to make such drastic changes to it already... its just 3 days old... :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
Isn't dropping it already a "drastic change"? ;) Did you buy it new from a dealer? If so, I wonder if they'd lower it for free?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
OK, not sure on your GS Zook...if you have a single rear shock it's not that big of a deal - all you need to do is change out the "dog bones"...the rear suspension links. They hook the swing arm to the suspension.

On mine (yeah, this sounds wrong but is right on mine - what I'm not sure about is yours) the longer the dog bones the lower the bike will sit....1/4" = 1" drop. Any competent fabrication (welding) shop can make you some dog bones (1/4" plate aluminum) - just copy what's on the bike and lengthen (or shorten) the middle area.

So, that takes care of the back. The front can be dropped at the triple trees. Has to be very accurate. If this is a job that is out of your league contact your dealer or an independant bike shop...but that's the process.

Actually I'm waiting for a set of dog bones for my Bandit right now. I put in a 'busa shock in the back and it raised it about 1 1/2". UPS managed to loose my 1st set (slung them right out the end of a paper envelope - still waiting on the settlement :mad: and my next set.

·
Certified Homeless Biker
2,555 Posts
Extend the legs is actually an option too, just that you can buy 2 (or more) new bikes with that, so heck, I'd buy the bikes instead of having my legs extend :)
I actually like a bit uneven ground, because then I can just flat foot on the higher side. When you come to a stop turn the handle to the opposite side so that the bike will lean to the higher side, thus you don't have the "oops" moments :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
When you're on the bike and standing, both of your feet should be flat on the ground. If not, you can't really control the bike at lights, on hills, etc., when you stop. You're a danger to yourself, the bike, and potentially, others.
Before you hurt yourself or tear up the bike, lower it so you can stand comfortably while on the bike or trade it for one that'll fit you.
CD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your posts!!

clockdaddy... can't agree with you more! I got some wedge heeled boots yesterday and they are perfect. I am able to put my feet on the ground and it does not affect my controlling abilities. My confidence level went up 200% right that second!!! I am still going to try and lower the bike. But for now.. I am atleast safe to ride :D

YF.. thank you for the tip. I will try that next time I need to lean over :)

T-Will... dropping only caused some cosmetic changes which are all fixable. But doing something internal is drastic to the behavior of my bike isn't it? It's like the difference between getting bruised and putting a plaster on it and having a kidney removed!!! :(

dear iamgumby!! I am not yet very familiar with the engine language. I will try to figure out what you said there though. I did understand that UPS lost your stuff... my empathies for you!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would suggest getting the bike lowered at the dealership. They shouldn't have recommended a bike that was too tall for you without at least offering to lower it. It's not going to hurt the bike, it will make you more comfortable though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stuco: I agree with you. I am going to get that done asap!!! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, not sure on your GS Zook...if you have a single rear shock it's not that big of a deal - all you need to do is change out the "dog bones"...the rear suspension links. They hook the swing arm to the suspension.

On mine (yeah, this sounds wrong but is right on mine - what I'm not sure about is yours) the longer the dog bones the lower the bike will sit....1/4" = 1" drop. Any competent fabrication (welding) shop can make you some dog bones (1/4" plate aluminum) - just copy what's on the bike and lengthen (or shorten) the middle area.

So, that takes care of the back. The front can be dropped at the triple trees. Has to be very accurate. If this is a job that is out of your league contact your dealer or an independant bike shop...but that's the process.

Actually I'm waiting for a set of dog bones for my Bandit right now. I put in a 'busa shock in the back and it raised it about 1 1/2". UPS managed to loose my 1st set (slung them right out the end of a paper envelope - still waiting on the settlement :mad: and my next set.

good to know how thats done,thanks iamgumby,i started a thread asking about how to lower a bike but noone seemed to want to answer me,guess i found out anyways.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I made some google searches and verified that you have a "link" type suspension system. This is the link to my thread.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=77802

If you look at both of the shocks (Bandit and Hayabusa - only as examples) you will see locking nuts at the top of the shocks. This is the pre-load setting. Your local shop can change that setting by adjusting those nuts. When backed off the bike will sag down and have a softer ride; when cranked up the bike will raise and have a firmer ride. They can only do so much with pre-load adjustments.

Changing out the links really is the best answer. If your boots don't work out show up at your service manager's desk with a couple dozen donuts for the guys (puts you on friendly ground) and see what the cost / time frame might be.

And yes...I spent about 4 hours cleaning my shop just yesterday. :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
donuts... a couple dozen???? I was planning on batting my eyelids :p ;)

Thank you for your advice regarding braking during turns. I only said that because I almost fell twice trying to brake during turns (in ignorance of course).

I also observed that wind really shakes the bike!! :) It'd be great if you could tell me something about handling the bike when it's windy or raining (considering the fact that it's Seattle).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Didn't anyone mention to you BEFORE you bought your bike to MAKE SURE YOU CAN TOUCH THE GROUND WITH BOTH FEET LEVEL? I'm sorry, but that's quite important, as you've unfortunately figured out the hard way.

Glad to hear the wedge heel boots are working now, I'm also glad to hear you're not trying to ride in 4" pumps. Although, patent leather is a nice accessory with a new bike.

loudest143
*she's fallen and she can't get up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Nooo :( ... no one told me that... and even of they did tell me... I probably would not have found any bike that was short enough. I am 5'5 and my legs are short. So, I guess the only that would happen would be when I lowered my bike. But am growing more and more confident of handling my bike as I ride more. And I would not wear pump heels even when I am not riding... :) They are not my cup of tea...

Was your last statement with a * about me?? :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts