Motorcycle Forum banner

Painting

2325 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  CB750F
Well, my brother brought his new GSXR home today and he has basically given me his old 01 Katana.
He laid it down about september of last year and now it needs new paint. We can take all the fairings off fairly easily and strip them down with little effort. My question is, completely disassembled and stripped down, whats a good estimate on a painting price? I was thinking just a 2 tone with nothing real fancy.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Because of the low volume of paint involved it's not that much more to go a bit fancy. metalflake, pearlescent, flames, stuff like that. Basic paint job figure half the cost of a car. Great big brother!!
Well that helps a little.
Im still not sure though cause cars can run from $300 to $3000.
I assume since all the prep work is done it may only cost around $500 for a basica two tone. Im not sure though.
I suppose Ill call the body shop tomorrow.
It depends on so many things, even what colors you want to use.
Not here to pop a bubble, but...............first of all, do you have any experience prepping plastic? if not, you can create more expense than you are saving. Second, does the painter have the necessary skills to properly paint plastic parts? Its not the same as a car. And of course third, if the paint job fails (ie-peeling) the painter will blame it on poor prep. So you'll have no warrenty.

At my shop, if you prep the parts, I won't paint them. The way I figure, if you know how to properly prep the parts, you should know how to paint them. Then you shouldn't need me. Painting is the easy part, all the hard work is in the prep. The type paint you pick can also affect the price, I can buy clear-coat for $30 a gallon up to over $200 a gallon, and believe me, they are not the same. Its the same with the color, $25 a pint up to many hundreds of dollars for one pint. At my shop, the average material cost on a sport bike is $250 and up. With a minimum of 10 hours labor, thats prep, painting, and buffing (one color), a two tone would add a few more hours to the job.

I am painting a gixxer 1000, this bike broke down to 19 pieces that are getting painted, each piece needs its own jig to hold it, I have over 20 hours of labor in prepping and painting just the base color, Your Katana won't be that many pieces, but most people are surprised at how much area there really is to paint when all the pieces are laid out in the booth.

Just make sure you do your homework, a bad paint job can't be covered up with decals. Good luck
See less See more
Not here to pop a bubble, but...............first of all, do you have any experience prepping plastic? if not, you can create more expense than you are saving. Second, does the painter have the necessary skills to properly paint plastic parts? Its not the same as a car. And of course third, if the paint job fails (ie-peeling) the painter will blame it on poor prep. So you'll have no warrenty.

At my shop, if you prep the parts, I won't paint them. The way I figure, if you know how to properly prep the parts, you should know how to paint them. Then you shouldn't need me. Painting is the easy part, all the hard work is in the prep. The type paint you pick can also affect the price, I can buy clear-coat for $30 a gallon up to over $200 a gallon, and believe me, they are not the same. Its the same with the color, $25 a pint up to many hundreds of dollars for one pint. At my shop, the average material cost on a sport bike is $250 and up. With a minimum of 10 hours labor, thats prep, painting, and buffing (one color), a two tone would add a few more hours to the job.

I am painting a gixxer 1000, this bike broke down to 19 pieces that are getting painted, each piece needs its own jig to hold it, I have over 20 hours of labor in prepping and painting just the base color, Your Katana won't be that many pieces, but most people are surprised at how much area there really is to paint when all the pieces are laid out in the booth.

Just make sure you do your homework, a bad paint job can't be covered up with decals. Good luck
Awesome advice Jim; do you mind if I add it to the article I am writing?
Go right ahead and use it Adrian

I was hoping I didn't come off as arrogant, but I see this way too much. Everyone wants to save money and get the best deal. Thats understandable, but way too many times, I see someone end up paying twice what they should have because they didn't do their homework. The biggest one I see is, "The painters had my parts for months and hasn't touched them"......... and then they add......... "I've already paid him" (please don't pay up front, a small deposit is OK, not more than 30% of the total price) Get everything in WRITING. As far as doing your own prep, if you are a novice, I don't advise doing it. Unless you are happy with novice results.

Too many times people think painting is easy, and anyone can do it, then why do average car painters (not custom painters) make upwards of $100,000 a year. Pretty good money for something anyone can do. I know many over-paid car painters who wouldn't know how to begin to paint bike parts. Especially one with 19 pieces. And I've also seen the rare case of a novice doing professional quality work. Stay within your own realm of expertise, and you should have no problems.
See less See more
By the way Adrian, how is the article coming along?
I am working more hours than I thought were possible within a week. Hopefully this weekend I will get the chance to go in and update it. I just finished an online college course this week also, and I dropped the next class because my work hours aren't going to permit it, so I should be free to add to the article.

Your advice makes sense to me. I see lots of rattle-can jobs at the track, but that is because bikes get crashed so much and most of us can't afford to buy tires each track day, let alone a custom paint job every time the rider falls off. I am going to add what you said anyway though because someone who wants a decent paint job will probably benefit from it (even if not all the track monkeys do).

I assume you are done the 1000 by now. Any pics?

Also if you don't mind, what was the ballpark cost of the work?
Yes its finished, and thanks for asking. Here's a few pics

Zuk is the bikes nickname, its painted on as well.

All the paint lines are buried under the clear, its oh so smooth! We polished the wheel lips as well.
We tore it down, did all the work, and put it back together for $3100. Most shops would have charged that much for the paint alone.

I'm finishing up a Busa right now, it has a dolphin scene on it (chick's bike) and loads of chrome (swingarm, all the brackets). This one is going to tear up the beach this summer.
See less See more
I like it. Flames always look cool on bikes. I'm always impressed with BeyondThePaint's work.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.