Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although we still haven't gotten our BMW R60/6 running yet, it's never too soon to start dreaming about cosmetic changes that will make it the most perfect bike ever. I have been trolling the internet for inspiration and ideas. So far, I am leaning towards a single color with some pin-striping for the tank and fenders rather than anything elaborate. I found a local shop that does nice work and asked them for a quick estimate. I was a little shocked when they said $1000. Does that sound about right? My rattle-can skills are limited but I am looking for cheaper options.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have done a lot of painting over the years, kind of grew up in a body shop.
First of all, rattle cans will never give you a decent paint job.

Most shops use quality paints and they are expensive. I recently painted a friends bike, consisted of tank, fairing, fenders, and two bags. The primer, base coat, clear coat, reducer, and hardener came to over three hundred dollars.

Spent about five hours prepping for paint, two hours painting, and another two hours cutting and buffing paint.

Now add pin stripping to that and you can add another couple hours.

Lets say ten to eleven hours at 100.00 per hour, plus material and that makes a grand for a quality paint job a very fair price.

Can you get cheaper paint jobs, sure you can but you will get what you pay for. There are some paint shops that uses the cheapest paint possible, don't prep properly or at all, blow the paint on.

Those cheap paint jobs normally end up a mess after a short time.

Now if you want to take the time to learn how to take all the parts off, prep them for paint, and then have a quality shop shoot them for you, that will save you a lot of labor cost.

There is an art to cutting and buffing and it is real easy to destroy a paint job if not done properly.

Bottom line, doing a good paint job it time consuming, and the materials aren't cheap.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
:thumbsup: on what Blaine said. I know just enough about painting to appreciate the work and skill that goes in to a quality paint job, and enough to know it's not something I'm going to attempt.

I have saved money though by removing the parts and stripping them myself, then putting them back on. That changed a one color paint job from about $1,000 to just over $600.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts