Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old crusty hjc helmet that I fixed up.. Here are the steps I followed and the results :)

I used 320 & 600 grit sandpaper, Rust-oleum ultra cover matte black, Rust-oleum ultra cover matte clear.

Step1: Remove padding.. visor.. and any other attached accessories.

Step2: Wash & rinse helmet (dish detergent works fine)

Step3: With a piece of 320-grit sandpaper (wet or dry). Sand the surface with a circular motion... remove all the gloss. if you're unsure of the job you did.. just rinse/dry then check for any uncovered areas.

step4: With a 600-grit sandpaper.. Sand the surface of the helmet again for a smoother finish.. Rinse/dry with a clean rag.

Step5: Set out to dry for about 30min.

Step6: Tape all the areas you don't want painted.. (I cut a piece of paper the size of the holes and taped the edges)

Step7: Hang or set the helmet where you're going to paint it, remove any loose particles.. tack cloth works.

Step8: Spray atleast 3 coats of primer (5-6inches from the helmet) followed by 2-3 coats of a clear finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think he's talking about the first. It's a good job of refurbing the outer shell. The problem is what in the world did that helmet go through to end up in the state in the first place? If the outside looked as bad as it did I can't imagine the EPS was in great shape either. I BELIEVE that's what Murphy was referring to.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I think he's talking about the first. It's a good job of refurbing the outer shell. The problem is what in the world did that helmet go through to end up in the state in the first place? If the outside looked as bad as it did I can't imagine the EPS was in great shape either. I BELIEVE that's what Murphy was referring to.
Yes it was, the end product looked nice, but a helmet isn't for looks, it's for protection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts