Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided that the HardStreet Tour bags I got are going on the Stryker, I originally thought the 900 Classic, but they looked like they were made for the Stryker.

Originally my son was going to do some artwork on the bags, but the lid being about 4 inches of the height it reduced his canvas too much.

So yesterday I decided how I wanted to paint them. I used Dupli-color paint adhesive, and Dupli-color clear Effex.

Effex makes a color changing glitter.

I should have put on some gloss black between the two, but I didn't, so it doesn't look as good as I expected, but not bad.

Having not painted anything in a very long time I can see imperfections in layering, but I have to really look for it. The second bag looks better than the first. Wife couldn't see the imperfections so its good enough.

I tried taking a picture but the glitter doesn't show in the picture. I'll probably put them on the bike Monday or Tuesday(my next days off) and hopefully there will be some sunshine and I can get a picture of them mounted.

·
6,489 Posts
A lot of the new bikes have what looks like microscopic/ nano specks of glitter/ metalflake stuff in it that sometimes can't even be seen until the light is just right.

I hate to admit it but I had a new Suzuki Bandit 1200S ABS for a few months before I realized it wasn't metallic black: It was actually a very, very dark metallic blue.:frown:

I ya wanna see the best paint that GOD ever sprayed on motorcycles, visit your local Harley Davidson dealer!!!:biggrin:

Sam:):coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't call it metal flake, glitter is the only term I could think of that describes it. And the glitter changes color as you move around it. blue-green-yellow-orange-rusty red.......rainbow effect

I guess it depends on your taste if the Harley candy is better than the others or not, my Classic is candy imperial blue and it only sparkles in the sunlight, my C50 was the same way but red. The Harleys sparkle inside.

My custom is lime green with fine gold flake like my Sportster was with glacier white(fine blue flake)

We still haven't seen my sons new bike in the sunlight so I don't know if its got flake in it or not, when you walk in the door it is black, get closer and you can see a hint of purple, it is called pearl purplish black mica(pearl so I'm guessing there is some kind of flake)

I tried under the kitchen light

Attachments

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I think I have seen that effect called a pearl effect. It is basically a metalflake that is only seen in bright sunlight. I definitely like it as I saw it on a dark blue 2013 HD model.

C

·
0 Posts
Maybe it is the way the photos are taken but truth be known, I don't care for it. I like the the metal flake look however, I am not feeling it with these photos. I am sure it would look better in sunlight.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
CPulsar, wait until you have seen a bag or gas tank with that effect on it. It is a subtle enhancement of an already nice color. It adds depth to what you are seeing. It screams that there is more here than a simple photo will show.

C

·
0 Posts
I am sure my inexperience with paint plays a role in what I am seeing. I have seen this type of paint before but I am not feeling these photos at all. Like I said though, They probaly would look better in sunlight.

I am not trying to be rude or mean. But I honestly do not like what I am seeing in the photos. It looks like someone took a rattle can 6" away and and lightly sprayed. Which is fine if it looks good but I am not seeing that. Anyway, like I said, I am sure it would better in the sunlight.

Lets do this, anybike, are you able to post pictures of the bags in the sunlight?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is just the bags, I'll need more practice before I decide to paint a bike, and even then it won't be any I own now, I'll have to buy a bike that needs painting.

Its not the same as metal flake, thats why I called it glitter.....its not glitter either.

The first time I took a picture of it, I could see it plainly and it lost alot in the camera then it couldn't be seen at all once it loaded onto my computer. These picture showed better on the camera and on the computer, but its still not the same as eyeballing it.

The only way I could get a picture in the sunshine is if we were to get some sunshine, according to weather.com it won't be until a week from this coming Sunday. And they probably just thru that out to give people hope.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2.5 hrs to put on, an hr trying to comprehend the instructions, now it would take about .5 hr.

Of course this is Dec and warm enough to ride(and I did) so there is no sun.

I got them a little too high, they look higher than they are, when the bike is sitting up they look much better.

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
They are a bit too high as you said but they look good. Do you plan to lower them or leave them the way they are?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had almost 4 in from the bag just in front of the j-hook to the top of the pipe, now it is 2.5 in.

It took about 1.25 hrs to get the exhaust bag situated the way I wanted, this included on and off several times, flipping the tabs, the bracket.......about 5 min to re-adjust the left bag.

C

·
0 Posts
Bags can be a pain at times. When I added hardbags to my previous bike it took about three hours to get them right. I also had to move my blinkers farther back so the bags would fit.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
here, a picture says a thousand words

http://store.hardstreet.com/cltobamobr.html

the J-hooks mount to the bags first, and there a is rubber strap between the hook and the bag. This difficult for 1 person to mount. Next time this will be mounted before the lid is attached.

The 2 tabs sticking up attach to the side rails thru either of the 2 slots, these turn any direction you need. Then the mounting bracket mounts to the tabs using any of the holes needed.

Then the bags are mounted with a bolt going thru the bag, rubber strap, and J-hook.

Super simple, really complicated to figure out how to turn the tabs and which way to attach the mounting bracket in order to fit the bags just right.

This is the bags(but I bought them from Amazon for $330)

http://store.hardstreet.com/procusakit1.html

The difference in metric and standard is the 2 bolts that go into the fender rail, all others are standard. So if you get metric you have to use 2 allen wrenches. There is an assortment of bolt lengths to fit with any other attachments on the fender rail.

My bags fit outside the turn signals, they come with 3 different length bushings, I used none of them, I took off saddle supports and just reused the bushings which were smaller than those provided. More like thick washers they fit between the tab and sissy bar side rail, so the bags are out plenty far enough.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,453 Posts
Anybike - the 'glitter' of which you speak is called 'pearl'. Pearl is the replacement for metal flake. Metal flake was/is large particle placed in the paint to add a reflective color to the paint. Worked really well with candy colors.

Pearl is very small colored particles to do the same thing that the flakes used to do, but it can be used with any color as it is sprayed at the same time. The biggest difference is you can add multiple colors and the paint will change as you walk around it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts