Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to put the bags on my 900 Classic(Blue), so I decided to paint them blue........picked out anodized blue because it comes real close to the color and effect I'm wanting.....according to the picture

Well its not working out quite the way I expected.

The blue is a bit too light, when the paint is wet its about the right color. The anodized effect isn't what I expected either.........if you have ever waxed dead paint then buffed it off, a couple hrs later there is a white haze......this is the effect I get with the anodized paint except its smooth no swirls.

Went and got some metal flake paint to try, I thought it was a little bit too dark according to the cap.......time to go give it a try.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The blue metal flake is the right color, dries really dull, nothing the clear effex won't fix. This is clearly a heavier, better paint and it cost more, but the spray nozzle is from the 60's and without warning it spits. The quality of paint job is good enough for me right now, not good enough for somebody else.

After I get the effex on and a little dry time I get a picture.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know how the effex effect will look on blue, but it looked real nice on black with a black bike. If I don't like it I'll repaint it.

Here's the color, the effex doesn't show up with lots of light and we don't got sunshine today.

Attachments

·
Left. No, the other left.
220 Posts
Looks like a pretty good match.

We're having our first 60+ day, so of course it's gray and rainy here.

C

·
0 Posts
I have to look really hard to see the difference. As a matter in fact, if you didn't point it out, I would not have noticed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can barely tell any difference, from the pictures they look really good. Is it really noticeable in person?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its pretty darn close. I held the bag top to the bike for my wife to look at.......she was happy.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a setback, put on Kawasaki decals and tried to clear coat them on......bad can, dried white-ish, had to sand and start over on the lids.

I took the sissybar luggage rack off the Yamaha and put the luggage rack on the Kawasaki at same time I was mounting the bags.

I pulled the bike back into the brighter darkness, we will never have sunshine again, and I took a picture of the floorboard mounted highway floorboards.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Looks

Looks real good to me
My XS400 is purple, and the bags are army green.
My XS11 is redish brown, and the bags are black.
My SV1000 is blue, and the bags are black.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all, they do look good.

Much easier to mount on Kawasaki than on the Yamaha, the 2 bolts that hold the look pretty chrome to the fender on the Yamaha are not level, making it nearly impossible to get the bags hung the same on both sides. On the Kawasaki I just put the tabs on hanging straight down, put on the bracket, mounted the bags to the bracket....done

The bike isn't clean and shiny anymore, we had a few hrs without rain yesterday so I went out, found lots of places with a fine layer of mud still on the road from our flood last Friday.....now its all over the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts