Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much like spray paint it seems like paint stripper has changed formulation since the last time I used it. It USED to bubble up paint and make it fall off. Now it turns the paint to IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE GUM

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There used to be paint stripper for metal only and for plastic, this says for metal and plastic.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,252 Posts
It seems some of the chemicals in paint strippers are being banned due to deaths. The most recent ban was in 2019.

It's been a couple years since I last used a chemical paint stripper, so I'm not sure what's the best out there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems some of the chemicals in paint strippers are being banned due to deaths. The most recent ban was in 2019.

It's been a couple years since I last used a chemical paint stripper, so I'm not sure what's the best out there.
People stripping indoors, not following or reading the label.

·
Visionary
4,266 Posts
The good stuff contains methylene chloride. Paint bubbles up and falls off with that stuff.
If you breathe too much or absorb too much through your skin you will die though :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, let it sit longer and/or reapply it. It WILL remove the paint. I’ve used it and it takes longer on old bike’s paint.
Nope, just gels and turns sticky. Had to blast it off with a power washer. Three hours with a power sander and 80 grit pads finally got the job done.
I find it curious that rust is always found under factory paint at the seam. I wonder how that happens, always assumed paint is waterproof.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Moisture is probably coming from inside the tank, even if coated. I would think that any paint remover for plastic would be not as effective as one created for metal only. Is sand blasting an option??

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Moisture is probably coming from inside the tank, even if coated. I would think that any paint remover for plastic would be not as effective as one created for metal only. Is sand blasting an option??
Don't think so, the rust is on the outside of the stamped flange not at the seam and this isn't the first time I've encountered it.
Maybe a production line issue where the tanks are cleaned then painted while not fully dry with moisture still in the pores.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts