Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Thank you in advance for taking time to address my question. I have inherited my families 1963 Honda 55 C105, in Yellow. It was parked in one of barns on our cattle ranch. It sat there for 40+ years. Unfortunately, a number of parts were scavenged off of it. My buddy hauled it from Eastern Oregon to the Phoenix AZ area, where I live. The good new is, we had a key made for it. Changed the oil and spark plug. Tore the carburetor and engine down. Cleaned up anything that needed it. Put some good fresh gas in it. You guessed it, it started up and runs pretty good. Probably could use a few more adjustments. But, it will idle away, no problem. I have spent the last week and half finding and ordering parts. Something I thought I would like to ask you guys, does anybody have the factory Yellow paint color code for my Honda 55? It got enough sun on it, that there really isn't any really good original looking color left on it. Even the seat has been missing for a several years. If there was a some good color left, I would be temped to take it to an auto paint store, so they could match it. I have to think there is factory color code out there. I am very interested in bringing it back to as factory original as I can. If anybody can help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time, help and guidance.

Rugo

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Well much to my surprise, I thought Honda yellow was all the same except for pearl. Apparently not according to the different possibilities here. Color-Rite doesn't go back that far either. So it looks like if no one here has the paint code, you next best bet will be a Honda dealer who should be able to look it up. But I honestly thought that Honda yellow was just Honda yellow. Yours does look school bus yellow too.:grin: Good luck and sorry I'm of no help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you hogcowboy. I appreciate the link. I hadn't even found that. Planning to stop by a dealership tomorrow. The city that I live in, is relatively new, compared to some of the surrounding cities, such as Phoenix and Scottsdale. I went into a Honda dealer, where I live. Asked him about parts availability. I'm pretty sure he thought motorcycles were invented in the 80's. He was absolutely no help at all. I even provided him with parts numbers. If anybody else happens to read my post and has a paint color code for my 1963 Honda 55 C105, I would really appreciate it, if you would be nice enough to share it with me and everybody else that is interested on this forum

Thank you again in advance, for all your help, guidance and advice.

Rugo

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Being new to the site I would expect you to know where all the experts hang out to ask question like this, but some only watch certain forums here. So in an effort to help get you the info you are looking for, I opened a thread in the Restoration and Repair section. It has a link back to this thread. So maybe between the 2 threads you might get the info you are looking for. Here's hoping anyway.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, here's the latest. I visited an older Honda Dealer today. I found out that I can't get very many parts for my 63 Honda 55, from the dealer. Secondly, I found out that the Honda Color Code from a 1963 Honda 55 is, Y16L Bright Yellow. Did a quick search on line. Didn't really find much. Plan to visit a couple of paint stores next week. If any of you computer savvy guys find anything out, by plugging that information in, I would appreciate it greatly, if you would be nice enough to share it with me. Hogcowboy, a special thanks to you for not only suggesting the Honda Dealer avenue, but also for linking my post to a more appropriate part of the forum. Thank you very much for your time and effort. I really appreciate it. I am a bit of a fish out of water, when it comes to motorcycle restoration.

Thanks again,
Rugo

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Getting ready mixed paint for bikes this old can be difficult. Your best option is to have the paint matched at an auto parts store and have them mix a quart or two of it. Try to find a painted spot on the bike that you can easily transport AND hasn't been exposed to UV light over the decades.

You definitely won't find dealer parts for a bike this old. My main parts source for my stuff is eBay - usually there's a good supply of reproduction, OEM, and used parts there. I actually just ordered a starter clutch rebuild kit for a 66 Dream there, brand new shipping from Thailand. It will take a couple weeks to get here and I'll have to check out the quality of it, but it's the best (or least worst) option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cmonSTART,

Thank you for the advice. I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to find much there. Just like to leave no stone overturned. Like you, I have used ebay as my primary resource. Been able to find a great many for it, in just a couple of weeks. I have a little practice with the whole restoration deal. I took every nut an bolt off of a 53 Chevrolet 1/2 truck and restored it back to period correct. I was able to order a battery, headlight, taillight and get the correct spark plug from the dealer. I know that I could probably get them all on ebay as well. But, he took a lot of time to look in his parts availability list for me. Wanted to buy something for his troubles. I'm not sure that I really have a spot to find a good patch of original color, left on my bike. I'll take my new found color code into a couple of reputable paint stores first. It might not pan out. But, I will give a go.

Thanks,
Rugo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's a link and what I found; https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/honda-parts/honda-color-codes
Y-101 DAISY YELLOW
Y-34 SULFUR YELLOW
NH-1 BY MEXICAN YELLOW
NH-24 XB BRIGHT YELLOW (XM?)
R-3C XM BRIGHT YELLOW (XB?)

Youre going to have to check the list again in case I missed any this list should help others but being a vintage bike Honda may no longer have the specific code any more you may have to contact Honda themselves with the motorcycles VIN as thats how they get the paint code off that No.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Wow! That's a very interesting site. Surely the OP can get something that will work with the info you provided. That's great and could be of benefit to many other folks here.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you CINDERS, for the link. Sorry in the delay getting back to you. I thought that I had posted a response to your advice. For some reason, it didn't post on the forum. I took a few minutes and chatted with one of the representatives from Motorcyclespareparts.com. He informed me that didn't really deal in paint colors. Just parts in colors. However, they did seem very knowledgeable. I would encourage anybody to contact them, if they were looking for a part. So, the hunt goes on for a paint color code, with mix instructions, in a database. Still have time. Waiting for a tire and my new wheels to be trued up. I was able to lace all of the spokes. But, felt like I would leave it to a professional to true them up. As soon as I get them back and my tire, I will ride it around the neighborhood, for a shakedown drive. Hasn't been ridden in over 40 years. Should be interesting.

Thanks again, everybody for your help, guidance and encouragement.

Rugo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you hogcowboy. Some very sound advice. I did take some time and do that. I think I am going to be all good, for a short cruise around the neighborhood. Before taking it out much farther than that, I will have to figure out when the last time it was actually licensed and who exactly it was titled to. I am sure that my family bought it slightly used, for our cattle ranch. Probably in the mid sixties. I doubt it has been licensed since then. Not looking forward to dealing with the DMV, regarding all of that.

Thanks again,
Rugo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts