Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special, 2013 Harley-Davidson 110th Anniversary Edition Dyna
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a (1) owner original 1978 Kawasaki KZ650-B2. I'm trying to decide on a couple of things, and have some questions I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with. The original paint on the tank has some bubbling going on below the surface by the Kawasaki lettering/badging, and a couple of chips near the top lip of the tank. There is also a small crease near the left side rounded curve towards the top side of the tank from being dumped once recently (driver error:icon_mad:). Otherwise, other than a couple of minor gaps in the original pin striping, the gorgeous blue paint is very good for a bike that is 37 years old, thus my dilemma. Do I keep the bike original with the "battle scars/patina" it has, or do I get the small tank crease and a few other minor paint flaws fixed? Part of me is in love with the original patina paint and leaving it alone, although I'm P.O.'d at myself for the tank crease. Another part of me wuld like to have the paint and tank restored to its original luster, but I want to make sure it's done right if I do it. Does anyone here know how easy or difficult it is to match the original paint and striping on a bike of this vintage, and with the tank being metal and the side covers and rear fender being plastic, how hard is it to get this right? Also, in terms of value down the road, is the original flawed paint worth more than properly repainted? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
If restoring it to showroom looks......do it right.....
If ur gunna use the bike for a runabout.....
Walmart sells rattle-can paint....
Then ride the Bitch.....

·
Registered
2016 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special, 2013 Harley-Davidson 110th Anniversary Edition Dyna
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and decided to have it repainted by a local body shop who was recommended to me by the vintage bike dealer I purchased it from. He's used this guy before on other projects and told me that this guy guarantees his work for life. The price he quoted me for all of the work is very reasonable, and should be done in about a week or so. The striping is actually a decal kit that had to be ordered from Europe so takes a couple of weeks. I'm anxious to see the end result.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently bought a (1) owner original 1978 Kawasaki KZ650-B2. I'm trying to decide on a couple of things, and have some questions I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with. The original paint on the tank has some bubbling going on below the surface by the Kawasaki lettering/badging, and a couple of chips near the top lip of the tank. There is also a small crease near the left side rounded curve towards the top side of the tank from being dumped once recently (driver error:icon_mad:). Otherwise, other than a couple of minor gaps in the original pin striping, the gorgeous blue paint is very good for a bike that is 37 years old, thus my dilemma. Do I keep the bike original with the "battle scars/patina" it has, or do I get the small tank crease and a few other minor paint flaws fixed? Part of me is in love with the original patina paint and leaving it alone, although I'm P.O.'d at myself for the tank crease. Another part of me wuld like to have the paint and tank restored to its original luster, but I want to make sure it's done right if I do it. Does anyone here know how easy or difficult it is to match the original paint and striping on a bike of this vintage, and with the tank being metal and the side covers and rear fender being plastic, how hard is it to get this right? Also, in terms of value down the road, is the original flawed paint worth more than properly repainted? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If you ever want to sell your bike, keeping it in the OEM color will not cut its value, it will otherwise.
Any good paint workshop can match any color !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts