Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all...

Speaking of guns (paintball or otherwise,) the discussion of how to legally carry a gun on a motorcycle came up the other day...

I was chatting with two LEO friends of mine, and neither knew what the proper way -- if any -- was to carry a gun on a bike.

Carrying a hand gun in your tank bag or under your coat, is obviously a concealed weapon. Wearing a holster is legal in some states, but Californian's tend to drop their quiche, spill their Stoli and get all "weirded-out" about weapons in plain sight.

Back in the day, I used to ride around with a rifle slung to my back and no one raised an eyebrow. Today, they'd deploy a SWAT team!

Anyone know what the law is?

This pic is what reminded me...

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Most states require the gun to be unloaded, sealed in a case, and inaccessible to the vehicle's occupants while transporting. If a concealed carry permit is owned, the gun may be carried as long as it's hidden from view. The details will vary from state to state.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
Here in Maine, it is legal to carry openly, as long as your not a felon, or otherwise forbidden to carry or own firearms. Granted, in some places, the people, even here, will get weirded out, and the cops can always find a means to pull you over if the feel the need to. As for carrying concealed, a shoulder holster works well, or inside the wasteband behind your hip, if your on something like a standard or crotchrocket.

I do not know what the law is in Cali, where it has been 14 1/2 years since I have been there.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
California has an open carry law. Plain and simple. But ... it must be unloaded.
I am around people all the time carrying guns, and I have yet to see it bother anybody.
I am quite willing to wager that there are more guns in private hands in California than in any other state. And more per capita. I am not talking registered.
dc

·
Registered
511 Posts
True a gun may be carried in open sight but must be unloaded. You may be stopped and asked why you are transporting it but as long as it is a legal weapon and you are not a convicted felon you should be ok.

·
9,226 Posts
I think it might be second to Maine there David, at least when it comes to per capita. In Maine, it seems EVERYONE owns a gun.

·
Registered
883 Posts
There was a guy here,years ago who actually did become a felon, but before he did, he rode his chopper around town with his .45 holstered down on his right thigh, like a gun slinger. Kind of a crazy scary S.O.B. I think he's still in prison. I think it was his profession, sort of a, how would you say it, a freelance pharmacuticle distributor. :D :wink:

·
Veryfried
1,453 Posts
In Maine, it seems EVERYONE owns a gun.
if i lived in maine id own a $h!tload of guns - why?
pet semetary
castle rock
meaningfull things
sometimes they come back etc - everything stephen king has written, it's always in maine.
who the fk would want to live there lol - and on top of that it has it's own real haunted places :eek: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/166000/true_american_ghost_stories_maine_ghost.html?cat=16

id be terrifiied of walking down the street! :eek:

ugh just thought of IT and that horrible clown :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
California has an open carry law. Plain and simple. But ... it must be unloaded.
I am around people all the time carrying guns, and I have yet to see it bother anybody.
I am quite willing to wager that there are more guns in private hands in California than in any other state. And more per capita. I am not talking registered.
dc
I think it might be second to Maine there David, at least when it comes to per capita. In Maine, it seems EVERYONE owns a gun.
You guys must not ever come to Texas! :D We like our guns.

What is the point of carrying open but not loaded? When needed, the time it takes to load and chamber a round could be fatal.

·
9,226 Posts
Valid point TX. Thats why I carried my 10mm cocked n' locked in Florida, and, since the fastest reload is a second gun (especially for revolvers) I carried a pair of .357s while in San Diego.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts