Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning a weekend ride from Lake Havasu City AZ to the coast, we want to stay two nights, doesn't have to be at the same place. We're having a hard time finding info on rooms in between Santa Monica and Malibu. Any locals know of any off the map motels or hotels along the coast that we can get a room for $100 bucks or less a night? Not looking for a 5 star room, the room is just a place to sleep, we're going for the ride. Thanks

·
What?
865 Posts
I there are a few hotels on the PCH in between Malibu and Santa Monica. It has been a few years since I lived there but I wanna say there is one right outside Santa Monica before the split to get on the 10 or 405. But those are pricey or trashy. If you go into Thousand Oaks or even up to Camarillo you can find much cheaper digs, this may add another 45 minutes to an hour to the ride depending on traffic plus you can stop at Neptune's Net for some seafood and drive by Mugu Rock. You will recognize the rock from pretty much every car commercial ever.

I do know that off of the 101 in Camarillo the Las Posas exit there are some chain hotels so probably around $60-$100 a night. Plus there is an awesome Sushi place right there called Sushi Planet. Actually now that I am thinking about it, you can take the PCH all the way to here, you can pick up Las Posas road right off of the PCH. Just make sure you go east or you will run into the military base, also if you go at night, it isn't lit very well. In fact, I recommend this route since 101 is extremely uneven from LA to Ventura.

Also, if you have military base access there is a Navy Lodge on the Port Hueneme base.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
your problem is that the location is high-end real estate. very pretty. very expensive. nothing cheap at all. locals cant do any better, either.

if you want cheap, I doubt that you'll find it in Santa Monica or Malibu. try further south in LA. Venice maybe. its getting out of your way ... off-route. and be a little careful - Venice has some skanky neighborhoods. you could wind up in some very divy motels - if you just aim for low-cost accomodation.

Might be better to spring for the extra $$ and just treat your wife a really nice room on the PCH overlooking the ocean for one night.

Otherwise ... I think you need to re-plan your route. stay somewhere in LA and just ride the PCH section on the coast. the whole road is pretty, not just the stretch up to Malibu. its actually more beautiful north of there. you should do the WHOLE road from Santa Monia up to Point Mugu and Port Huneme. Once the road turns off the coast at Port Huneme ... its not pretty any more. But everything along the coastline is really beautiful!

That stretch gets very crowded with commuter traffic. Best times are between 10am and 3 pm. It will be busy in the morning, up to 9am with cars headed south down PCH to go into the city. However, the northbound will be OK.

It will be super-crowded in the afternoon after 3:30 pm as the evening rush hour kicks in, and cars are headed north on the PCH back to homes along the coast. Southbound wont be so bad, but expect some possible delays.

good luck!

dT

·
Registered
316 Posts
IF the cost is reasonable (and it may be), I'd recommend staying in the small town of Calabasas. From a riding perspective, it's right next to Mulholland Hwy, which provides a direct route down to PCH (just North of Malibu). And of course, taking that route means you travel through the famous "Snake."

I was just in that area this summer (staying in Topanga Canyon). Unfortunately, all I had was a rental car, but drove the Snake anyway just to see what it was like. That whole canyon drive (from Calabasas down to Malibu) was incredibly scenic and winding. At some point, I've got to get back there on the bike.

Good luck.

·
6,952 Posts
As has been said, motels in that area will not be the cheap ones. Plan on staying within 10-20 miles of there and just ride in. Get local directions from Pacific coast HWY in Malibu, inland to the ROCK STORE (Google it) a very historic and fun motorcycle hang out!

The coast from Santa Monica up affords wonderful views and fresh air. Go up to Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and maybe stay in Morro Bay! (My personal favorite) Up the coast maybe 10 miles you could tour Hearst Castle, head up from there and the next 50 miles or so is pure riding heaven.

50 years in Southern CA before I moved to MO:)

Sam:)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Get local directions from Pacific coast HWY in Malibu, inland to the ROCK STORE (Google it) a very historic and fun motorcycle hang out!
In fact, the ROCK STORE is on Mulholland Hwy, and marks the official beginning (or end depending on what direction you're going) of "The Snake" I mentioned above.

Listen to Porky!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
the Rock Store is a little bit inland of the route that the OP described.
thats why I didnt mention it.

If you want to go to the Rock Store, take the PCH up to Malibu, and turn inland on Malibu Canyon Road ... right beside Pepperdine University. After you drive a few miles, Malibu Canyon gets re-named to Las Virgenes Canyon Road. You have to ride a few miles on Las Virgenes .. it's a very pretty ride by the way ... and then turn left on Mulholland Hwy. Ride a few more miles and the Rock Store will be on your left hand side. The main thing ... is that the Rock Store is located inland in the hilly countryside of Malibu, not on the coastline. So if thats where you wanna go ... fine. If not, ride north on PCH and check out the views there :)

the other comments by Porky are true ... the very best coastal scenery is NORTH of the place that you described. But you need to go north thru Ventura and up to Santa Barbara, and then ride Hwy 101 up the coast north of Santa Babara. All that stretch is REALLY beautiful and well worth seeing. If I was you, and i was taking my wife, I would definitely do the Santa Barbara roads instead of the Malibu road. But it just depends on the time you have available. If you wanna go further north, stay on Hwy 101, but switch to Hwy 1 AT San Luis Obispo, and then the coastline gets increibly beautiful. You can ride that all the way to Monerrey - the Big Sur coastline is possibly the most beautiful stretch of coastal road in the world. At least, I think so :)

dT

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're doing it in October the only thing that's set in stone in I want to pass through Lancaster on the way to see the Kahiki Palms Motel that's was in the move "The Devils Rejects" after that it's on to the coast. Thanks for all the advice, we may try to stay on the coast one night as suggested then find a cheaper room the second night.

Hell if I knew I wouldn't have kill or be killed I'd just take a sleeping roll and sleep by my bike, in fact that would be awesome to me but you cant really do that just anywhere anymore:icon_mad: It's not that we don't have the money it's just seems like such a waste.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Santa Monica to Malibu? Far too much beach traffic on the weekends to be an enjoyable ride.

I suggest the superslab to 101, come over Mulholland, take your turn on "The Snake," stop at the Rock Store and say hello to Leno or whoever's there, then drop down Encinal Canyon INTO Malibu for a meal at Neptune's whatever... Then head north. Google Rockstore to make sure you end up on the RIGHT part of Mulholland....it's 100+ miles long...

The exterior walls are made of rocks. That's why they call it the rock store. They sell food. Not rocks.

Or go SOUTH instead, I-5 superslab through Camp Pendleton, jump off at Oceanside and do 101 ALL THE WAY TO SAN DIEGO. Tons of little beach towns. LOTS of little motels en route in what's referred to as San Diego's "North County."

The beach communities adjacent to LA are gigantic traffic jams designed to overheat motorcycles...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989230

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That just gave me a idea, If I can find a place that rents camping spots along that route I'd much rather rent a spot and camp, in fact I'd pay more for that. I just really don't want to have to kill someone while I'm on vacation lol

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
I'll second wadenelson's suggestion about going up toward Hearst Castle. You could spend two days or more at the castle and see what money can do. But then you would also want to ride around for sure.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
campgrounds are possible in October. usually way too busy when kids are out of school ... but they have gone back now.

theres a very nice campground on the beach at Sycamore Cove. thats on the PCH, north of Malibu by maybe 10 miles. its very pretty up there. you'd have to look up "sycamore cove" and figure out the folks that run it ... its one of the county organizations. Not much chance of just getting a spot if you just show up, unless it happens to be mid-week and you are lucky. weekends - no chance ... usually too busy.

personally, I like the beach areas from Santa Barbara northwards because of much less crowds and traffic. You could shoot over due west from Lancaster. take 14 Freeway south until the junction with the 5 Fwy. Go north a few miles, then take the turnof on Hwy 126 to Ventura, then north on 101 Hwy. Its a fair ride. But I know folks who do the return trip in a day. So you could stay somewhere on the 101 Hwy north of Ventura, and anywhere up there is really pretty. Your wife would likfe it. Worth spending the money on a motel. Or you can camp on some of the beaches in Ventura also, should be possible if its mid-week.

I used to live in Lancaster. I cant believe that you're actually detouring there to see a run-down motel. HAHAHA!!! most people wanna escape from that town on weekends :)

If you wanna get down to PCH from Lancaster, its somewhat more straightforward. BUT AGAIN ... do this stuff i the middle of the day. avoid rush hour traffic, which affects everywhere including the 14 Fwy up to Lancaster. 14 South, to the 5 Fwy South, to the 405 Fwy South. I would go west on the 118 Fwy all the way to Moorpark, take the bend and go south to Thousand Oaks, then shoot back a few miles east on the 101 Fwy. The Las Virgenes Rd turnoff to the south will get ou down to Malibu with some pretty riding thru the hills.

it is also possible to do the beaches south of LA. but if you are going thru Lancaster, I'd recommend against it. Avoid LA entirely, and avoid crossing thru there. Just way too many freeways, vehicles and congested traffic. Not my idea of fun, and not what i would tell anyone to do on their vacation.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to live in Lancaster. I cant believe that you're actually detouring there to see a run-down motel. HAHAHA!!! most people wanna escape from that town on weekends :).
It's from my favorite movie of all time so I want to take a picture of my ugly mug with that motel in the background lol.
We have no desire to see LA at all. We're looking into the Hearst Castle area right now. The problem with this trip is we only have three days. We're leaving form Lake Havasu City AZ on a Friday morn and have to be back on Sunday. Neither one of us has seen the Pacific so anywhere along the coast is an option as long as it's doable in three days. Not sure my wife can handle as many hours in the saddle as I can I'm trying to keep the first day around 8 hrs of ride time.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
It's been a long time since I was at Hearst Castle but it seems like I spent two hours there just on one tour. I would have liked to take a different tour but I was pressed for time too. Maybe they shaved some time in the years and maybe someone else can say how long they take now. Lot of history there tough.

·
6,952 Posts
Like Distant Thunder said, there is a route from Lancaster-Palmdale that hugs the mountains, goes by Bakersfield and Oildale I believe they call it and comes out at Santa Paula and just a short beautiful drive to Morrow Bay.

I was stationed at Edwards AFB, and raced in many desert races (District 37) all over that area. I had relatives in Lancaster. My home where I was raised was in Paramount, CA, about 110 miles from the base, so I could hit my Fraternity parties on the weekends.

****** 3 days will be no fun at all because there is too much to see. Wait until you get at least a week plus the weekends on either side.

Bye the way, Oregon, further up the coast is absolutely the best! Washington isn't bad either if you love trees!

Sam:)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Saint Mucus ...

here is my suggestion.
your main problem is just distance and time. you really need 4-5 days to make this enjoyable. Otherwise, you can do your objective, but your wife is gonna have some serious sore-butt time ... if you want to fit in the coast in a 3-day ride.

Out of Lake Havasu ...

go north to the 40 Fwy. Do NOT go south to the 10 (too much traffic).

take the 40 Fwy west to Barstow. Easy riding, not crowded, you can make good times.

go South on the 15 Fwy to Victorville, and then west on Hwy 18. Continue on Hwy 18 and it becomes Hwy 138 which takes you to Palmdale. There is some stop-and-go traffic on parts of Hwy 18, and som of the drivers are "desert rats" who arent good drivers. So take it easy and be careful on both the 18 and the 138.

Take the 138 Hwy all the way west, until it drops you into the Antelope Valley Freeway (14 Fwy). Go north and that will get you to Lancaster. So there is your stop at your motel. That distance from Havasu to Lancaster will be somewhere around 285-300 miles. If you add in some stops for gas and food, maybe 5-6 hours ... probably more like 6 hours if you wife wants a few breaks. It depends on how much she wants to push things.

Out of Lancaster, south on Fwy 14, and then hit the 5 Fwy and go north for about 6-8 miles. Then go west on Hwy 126 all the way to Ventura. And STOP there for the night. By that time you will be beat, and you wife will be exhausted. Ventura has a range of motels with different prices. I strongly recommened a motel - because you are gonna be wiped from doing all the riding :)

The next day ... take it easy. Connect woth Hwy 101 and ride up the coast as far as you like. It is all BEAUTIFUL!! There is good food and drinks as far as Santa Barabara. But NOTHING much past that point until the road turns north and you reach Buelton. There is no particular reason to go as far as Buelton, but I do recommend the whole road along the coastline. You can return back to Ventura for dinner. That middle day will be a really nice one.

Take CARE on the 126 Hwy and the 138 Hwy. These are both highways with quite a few bends in the road, and Hwy 138 also has some dips. There's nothing wrong with the road surface - its all good. Just be really careful before you overtake any vehicles, because there are a lot of turnoff roads, and local drivers have crappy driving habits. But you should be fine if you do them in the daylight.

You wife will like part of the ride along Hwy 126, and she will love the 101 Hwy along the coast. Whether this whole journey is worth the sore-butt time ... thats for you folks to decide :)

dT

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I just rode south on the PCH today ... from Ventura to Santa Monica. so if you have any extra questions ... send me a message. I still think the coastline north of Ventura is the prettiest. But it's all beautiful, and theres a lot of nice scenery south of Point Mugu. also, there is more beach camping than I remembered. :)

dT

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since we only have three days and neither on of us has seen the coast we're just going to make it a ride to the coast. My wife wants to ride to San Simeon on Friday and get a room then Saturday ride a little way up or down the coast then back. Friday will probably be a 10 hr ride and like 8 1/2 to 9 hrs back Sunday so we'll get plenty of seat time.

I've rode from Lake Havasu City AZ to Lodi CA, 10 1/2 hrs there (day time) and 9 hrs back (night time) only stopping for gas but that was by my self. This will be the first ride my wife has been on with me that will be more then around 4 hrs so we'll find out what she's made of lol, I know I'll be fine I love it :biggrin: Thanks for all the advice when we have more then just three days I definitely want to ride up North Cal and in to Oregon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts