Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 75 Posts

Registered
Joined
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine many people own multiple bikes, but garage tetris and financial responsibility are real.

How much inherent value is there in owning 2 or more bikes, especially if they each have a specific purpose (ie one for short trips or track days, another for touring, etc)? What are the issues, expected and unexpected, that you now have to deal with, say, insurance, maintenance, etc? Did you end up neglecting one bike for the other, but then regret it when you sell the unused one?

If you only have one bike to do it all, what limitations do you come across? For example, I only have a BMW G310R - fun little learner and great for tight maneuvers and day trips, but anything about 60 mph is not really comfortable for long distances, especially if there's any wind. What if you only have a big bike, like an R1200GS, do you end up not taking it out when you may have taken a smaller bike if you had it?

For the record, I am contemplating this exact scenario - I may sell the G310R to help fund an R1200GS later, but at the same time, I've added some custom parts to the G310R and made it mine, and feel like I may end up missing it. In the short time I've been riding, I've made a lot of great memories on the bike. Plus depreciation is real.
 

Registered
Joined
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A nice BMW GS to go with your streetbike would be cool:smile: I believe a GS model of your bike is available right now:grin:
That would be a hoot, having virtually identical but different bikes side by side! I honestly wish I'd gotten the 310GS right off the bat. With the upgrades I put into my R (windscreen, handguards, luggage rack, etc), it is trying to self identify as a GS. Next thing you know I'll end up finding a way to improve suspension and throw dual sport tires on there. Definitely not the intent of the R...

At the time I started, I had no idea what kind of riding I wanted to do, but knowing what I know now, I want to go explore far off places in comfort, and not be intimidated when the road turns to gravel or dirt, or disappears entirely. Long trips to where cell phone reception disappears and the views are once in a lifetime. Plus I love the GS look - didn't know it until later.

There is a formula for the correct number of motorcycles you need. It's X + 1 where "X" is the number of bikes you have now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That's definitely the truth...I've got two cars, each with a specific and important purpose, but I've contemplated selling one and making room for bikes!:grin:
 

Registered
Joined
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Gotta say, it's pretty inspiring to see all these people with so many different bikes. I'm actually eyeing a seemingly new 2016 R1200GS that's been in my local dealer for a while...low miles. I wonder if it was a demo model or what is wrong, but they reduced the price again to try and move it.

I was planning on waiting a bit, but if nothing is inherently wrong with, this deal may be too good to pass up.
 

Registered
Joined
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
OP here...I did go out and get another bike. I ultimately decided against a 1200 cc bike - too much weight to sling around, especially riding solo, and far more power than I realistically need.

I got this Triumph Tiger 800 XRX. For the kind of riding I want to do (long distance relaxed trips mostly on pavement with maybe an occasional jaunt on a dirt road), it was a great option. I felt it more predictable in power delivery than the R1200GS - honestly very confidence inspiring. I kept my G310R so I can continue practicing low speed techniques.

I think between the two bikes, I have 97 to 98 percent of what I want to do covered. The remaining 2 percent, I can either rent one if I really need it, or better yet, find another path or just don't go that way.
 

Attachments

1 - 4 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top